don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Stardust Speedway GF's foreground and EP2's rollercoaster aren't too dissimilar in their structure. Aside from the purple color (which I suppose this actually could've used to look more surreal), it's a network of rails comprised of metal pipes (coaster's got wooden beams, I know) and whatnot woven together with thin red-and-yellow stripes decorating the frame. I suppose the rollercoaster could have been decorated with some ornate neon signs to brighten it up and give it more variety, but honestly I can't really complain too much about what's there now, unless it turns out the whole level takes place on that rollercoaster. I hope that's not the case, because that would be boring.

[EDIT] Actually, Metal Sonic fights you on that coaster, doesn't he? Maybe there is a level that takes place entirely on that coaster, as a blatant callback to Stardust Speedway Act 3. In that case, that would cut back considerably on the boring factor, if only for that one level, since you're most likely gonna have to fight him while running along the coaster rails.

2. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Wiiware size limit: 40mb

3. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    And you completely miss my damn point. High-quality WiiWare games with graphics and music that are better than the majority retail Wii titles (though they don't look QUITE as good as Episode 2, they come pretty damn close) with more content than either episode have been released, in spite of the size limitations.

4. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Maybe the game is over 40mbs, regardless of quality. This is multi-platform, not Wii focused.

5. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Hmm. The foreground bricks and grass in the top-right pic with the Tornado do look a little dull and washed-over with its dimly lit color scheme, but meanwhile Sonic and Tails are getting some lovely bloom standing in front of the glowing horizon there. Perhaps S4E2 will actually have lighting and look much prettier in motion. If they are in fact using the Hedgehog Engine, this might not be far-fetched.

Also, everything doesn't look like a picture of something that was sealed in an airless freezer bag under a bright lamp. Hell of an visual improvement there! Even though Lost Labyrinth and Mad Gear didn't look as gawdy and plasticky as the two zones that preceded, they still don't look as good as the shiny detail and texture in these screens. Maybe E2 is going to look a little less surreal than E1, but it sure does seem like it's going to look better. If nothing else, I'll at least be playing reimagined Aquatic Ruin and Ice Cap zones—which is already better than E1—along with what clearly looks like an oil refinery and storage zone on a stormy day. Not quite Oil Ocean, but getting there.

Hey Wii-owners, don't fret. If you've got a PC and a free Steam account, you can play it on there. They did release S4E1 on there, so here's hoping.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    It should also be noted the WiiU is releasing this year. I would be shocked if this doesn't get a WiiU release.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Bearing in mind that it isn't even fucking possible to display "incredibly realistic" visuals on the Genesis, I want you to take another look at Sonic 3- because you really do just mean Sonic 3, very little in S&K even remotely resembles reality. I'm pretty sure it's just Angel Island and Ice Cap that get people confused here. They're both realistically themed, but that isn't even a point of contention when it's the visual style that matters. Everything in classic Sonic is comprised of geometric shapes and patterns. It's about as complex as it gets, but the blocky textures and tessellating tiles do hold AIZ to that standard. You won't find anything like this in reality. ICZ's outdoor segments are at least feasible, but then you have the massive polygonal ice caverns and the foreground is made up entirely of hexagons. I was adamantly against a 3D remake being done for either of these zones back when we were jotting down wish lists for Generations because the themes were the only thing that would've been carried over. They would've looked pretty damn realistic then!

Aquatic Garden is real. Carnival Cap is real. Oil Yard is real. No geometric patterns, no liberties taken with the color schemes, I don't even see any foreground objects that look like they might twist and bob in an amusing way. No real creativity, visual interest or even fidelity befitting a current gen console. This is a spectacular failure. Also, Splash Hill is the only E1 zone that had the plastic look. Also, don't call me a fan!

They're using the same exact tree for the middle ground in both zones, copy-pasted, horizontally flipped and tone adjusted for variety. They changed the colors for Carnival Cap. Same fucking tree. Anyone who had to have that pointed out for them isn't at all qualified to speak to or even look at me. Shoo, g'outtahea.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Episode 1 is 191MB. And for example, Sonic CD is 309MB.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Ritz are those fan names or is there a source with each zones actual name? :psyduck:

10. ArtFenix

ArtFenix

Russia
    New Sonic related Game Music Video
    I'm gonna be honest. I'll forgive them everything for just using that old Tornado design! I was pretty darn sure there would be that ugly Unleashed model.. Looks like I was wrong and I'm glad I was. This and of course Metal Sonic ^_^. Love him!
    The first Zone DOES look like that one from Sonic fan remix. xD
    The last fourth zone will be the Death Egg or whatever it is. I'm calling it now.

11. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I've said it before in the Generations thread and I'll repeat it here because it's relevant.

Ignoring the Wii is bad business sense. Everyone and their grandmother has one, they are also becoming more affordable than ever. If SEGA want to get this on as many consoles as possible, make a Wii version, even if it's less impressive than the PS3/360 version. Not having a Wii version hurt the sales of Generations considerably.

Also Ritz hits the nail on the head. There is something incredibly un-Sonic like about this game's art direction.

12. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    The wii's 40mb file size limit will be an issue here.... If there's any remote chance of porting the game, I would think it would be too much work to downscale and compress everything just to even attempt to make it fit and theres a chance that it won't without removing content in the process. If anything, SEGA should port the game to "Nintendo 3DS", this handheld doesn't suffer from the same file size constraints as Wii. Lets Golf 3D in fact is 195mb. Besides, SEGA hasn't released any digital content for the system yet except the London Olympics demo. Now would be a good time. Plus the 3D gimmick might make it sell.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    They could always bundle it with Ep 1 and do a disc release, right?

14. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    If SEGA deems it profitable, then they would probably go through with this but its very unlikely. I can already see a disc compilation of both episodes not selling very well at all.

15. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

16. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that when all Episodes of Sonic 4 are done, there will be a physical release of all Episodes in one package. Aaron Webber or Ken Balough (Can't remember which, perhaps both actually.) said in the past that they have not ruled out the possibility of a physical release of Sonic 4.

Also, it would be nice if they revamped Episode I's graphics to match Episode II's eventually, although I'd still be satisfied if they left Episode I as is.

17. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    @Polygon Jim

Well, I'll be damned. Then the Wii exclusion's is a bit weird then...

Again though, there's no excuse as to why the 3DS is being excluded.

18. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Wii is gay and anyone who only has a Wii does not deserve to play video games. Get a real console or a computer and a display unit that does not suck dick. You are also open to experiencing something beyond stereo sound and analogue video. Welcome to the future.

I do not want my games watered down so that welfare retards can enjoy them. I am an elitist who does not want to be around the unwashed masses.

Sonic 4 e2 is automatically better because it is not on Wii. Wii cannot even run Sonic CD from 1993.

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Another fine post by the king of always hating everything.

See, the entire game doesn't necessarily need watered down for the sake of a Wii version. Give the Wii version lower-quality textures, lower-poly models, MIDI music... If Half-Life 2 can be brought to the original XBOX without losing the integrity of the game itself, I'm sure other games can too. It's not exactly like this is another Generations.

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Honestly, if they make a WiiU version, it's not like Nintendo is being excluded and SEGA probably prefers that Nintendo gamers don't get a shitty port. Hell, maybe Nintendo would prefer not having a Wii version in hopes it encourages Nintendo gamers to buy a WiiU.