don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Just an fyi, I don't want to be THAT guy but after playing the demo, I have to say that the ONLY thing I found wrong with the game was the physics. There were a few little petty things I wasn't 100% pleased with such as the less than perfect music and the like, but if future episodes fix the wonky physics I will have next to no complaints regarding this game if the demo is a proper example of what the full game is like. They're the only thing making me question whether or not I should buy the game, and if they get fixed down the line I will more than happily not only download Episode I, but future episodes that present these changes as well. This probably won't make any sort of difference in anything, but I'm just letting the word out that if SEGA can fix this one issue than I'll be pretty much 100% satisfied, as would a boat-load of fans.

EDIT: FYI, when I say "physics changes" I mean stuff along the lines of momentum being completely unaffected when you jump and things in that vein. Sonic's weightiness could be improved as well, but my main issue is whenever Sonic curls up into a ball or jumps he loses all momentum unless you hold right.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Okay. Also thank you for all your efforts to make this game the best it can be. It is highly appreciated across the community. :)

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So many people have come in here after playing the demo, complaining about how terrible the physics are and how we should have seen this coming all along. But it seems to me that most of those who play the game enough to get used to the differences have had an enjoyable time, at the very least. This, I think, is the key.

Sonic 4 has gotten almost nothing but glowing reviews from the media. Of course, most of those people aren't nearly so familiar with the classics as we are. Does this make them wrong? I don't think so.

Sonic 4's physics, while I don't believe them to be quite as good as the classics, are still not BAD, or even mediocre. They're just different in some respects. Getting used to them and how you can work with them is paramount to enjoying the game. Do you remember the first time you played one of the Genesis or Mega Drive games, or have you seen anyone play one for the first time? I let my girlfriend try Sonic 2 a while back, and she was very frustrated by the physics and tended to smack into enemies a lot. But the more you play, the better you get, the more different routes you find, the faster you fly through the levels, and Sonic 4 nails that aspect as well as the classics did.

As many said in the ramp-up to the game's release, calling this Sonic the Hedgehog 4 dramatically changed the hardcore fanbase's expectations for it. New Super Mario Bros. doesn't play exactly like the NES trilogy, but that doesn't make it a bad game. Donkey Kong Country Returns appears to be quite different from the classics, but just about everybody who loved them is highly anticipating it. However, the only direct sequel to old-school franchises that have come out recently I can think of off the top of my head are Mega Man 9/10 and Contra 4. The Mega Man games are obviously highly faithful to the NES series, and Contra 4 seemed like exactly what a direct sequel to Contra III would have been even in the mid-90s.

Making a game that's a direct numerical sequel to a golden-age franchise carries with it a lot of risk. The game has to live up to the legacy of what came before. So calling it Sonic 4 made us expect it to play and operate very, very similarly to Sonic 3. Most of us have played the hell out of Sonic 3, and still do today. Sonic 4, however, is much more analogous to what we saw with New Super Mario Bros. than Mega Man 9. That's my analysis of the general fanbase's reaction to it.

I do think, however, that this game is worthy of being a part of the Sonic the Hedgehog classic series. I do think it's the best representation of classic-style Sonic gameplay since Sonic & Knuckles came out 16 years ago. And I do think that 16 years from now, I'll still be playing it. That's the wonderful thing about these games. Your first playthrough is almost incidental. It's all about seeing the level designs and getting used to the gameplay. Years later, you might find an alternate path through a stage you've beat 100 times before. Sonic 4 has that kind of staying power, that kind of replayability. It's not Sonic the Hedgehog as I've imagined it, not quite, but it is a damn fine game that met and exceeded my expectations, and I extend my sincerest thanks to everyone at Sega for finally making this happen.

True blue is back.

4. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I finally beaten the game 100%!
    Honestly, + - the floor crashing through at the end   , I did not see that coming at all.

Feels pretty good to finally beat another Sonic game after so long. It's pretty fun, but it still could have been better. Hopefully Episode 2 will provide us with the sweet stuff later on, especially since Dimps/Sonic Team has heard some of our comments/complaints/whatever...if not all of it. But...overall, minus a few frustrating moments...I had fun.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yeah and you said this before and specifically said that the physics were being changed, only to then claim that it couldn't be done? Episode II, which really has nothing done aside from the story, will probably have the same physics and same moves as Sonic before. Try and tell Dimps to change the physics, they've had many years to and they haven't lifted a finger.

You want to take fan input? I've suggested many things along with others on here, don't let us down. Considering that Sonic 4's physics are considered to be a fucking joke by many players, those physics need to be heavily redone.

6. sebmal

sebmal

I am the man! Oldbie
    I'm sonic. sonic the 4. and my physics suck dick.

7. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    I only don't understand why did Sega (probably Dimps) swap the Spindash sound with the Spin sound? Weird.

8. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    fffff quit stealin' my thunder boy

oh well, made this right before that one, here's another reason this game is butts

9. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

I don't know, but that is like, my only gripe about this game, aside from the lack of momentum. I know it's petty, but it's annoying when you hear the revving sound when you hit a speedbooster, or land on a flipping flipper in Casno Street [is that even necessary?]. I still love the game, though.

10. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I lol'd.
    SEGA, these few things are pretty much the only things wrong with the game. Fixing these small problems shouldn't require levels to be altered in the slightest.

11. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
  12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
  13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    That's actually pretty cool

14. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Reminds me of Kirby's Dreamland 3, very nice, but I still think the game's soundtrack is good on its own.

15. sebmal

sebmal

I am the man! Oldbie
    sorry I waited and did things and you still didn't post nothin' so I thought it was ok I swear!

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
  17. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
  18. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Guys Sonic 4's physics suck dimps are faggots here are more pictures of sonic standing on slopes to prove it aren't I clever?!?!

19. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
  20. Chibs

Chibs

the worst human on the fuckin' planet Member
    it's not okay!!!! + - it's completely ok <3  

also that's some p. okay music y'got up there