don't click here

Sonic 2 SMTP

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by SMTP, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Woohoo I love this!
    I hope you'll finish this hack.

\/ @Chimpo: It's only one act. A hack should have one or two of these speedy levels to create some variation.

I agree though that 1-2 acts like this is enough or it would get boring. But it's a nice diversion and speed rush.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I disagree. Shit looks exactly like Angel of Life, except you're not rolling. There were too few sections where it seemed you had a need for any input since you're going through loops and hitting springs like 80% in the level. If all the levels are like this, I might as well tape the boost button on Sonic Rush. Bam, there you go, Sonic 2 SMTP.

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Hahaha, how did I know after seeing your post in that topic, you'd come over here and say the same thing? :P

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Because it's the same shit?

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's not, though—Angel of Life's levels don't flow in any coherant fashion whatsoever. The reason I really like this layout is because it does flow—every section of the level sort of just goes to the next without any hassle, so you don't have to worry about running into a wall or not being able to predict what comes next. It gives you a chance to enjoy the intense speed of the level without worry of it stopping, which is what Chemical Plant was always about (for me, anyway).

If anything, the level could be modified to have a platforming section in the middle or something, but otherwise I really don't see much of a problem with it.

6. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Why do ppl think that an entire hack is made of speed sections when they see a demo of ONE level?
    Bowser's hack is full of tricky platforming stuff and I doubt SMTP's hack is all speedy either...

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    It flows. That's fine and great. That's a good thing to have. But the entire game shouldn't be designed like this. I remember Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone having sections like this where all you do is sit back and watch. But I also remember having to time my jumps to get on the moving platforms the other half of the level.

It's great that the shit flows, but come on, give me something to worry about every now and then.

Because this is what they're showing. If they don't want people to assume that then they should show other parts equally.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The layout seems a bit too automatic. It seems to consist of 90% hold right and LOL SPEED. Kinda reminds me of Sonic Advance 2.

9. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    That's just one of the pathways, and that one is the most "automatic" though it does take some user input in order to go through the section as quickly and hassle free as possible. (this was even more the case when this layout was in a rom without the removal of the air speed cap) There are other sections to it that do require thinking and input, I can assure you that.

I'll try to get her to work with me again, but I don't wanna make any promises. I supposed I could try it by myself, but she's the one who does most of the fixing and tedious-to-work-out stuff, so the quality would leave a lot to be desired.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    After I learned of the shortcuts in the level, I never went that way. I take a route that ends up being all speed.

11. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Lol. This level looked like an autoplay level. Sure. There were some puzzle elements and platforming. (IE The infinite spring lock) and the altered loops where refreshing, but alot of the level played itself and it was only like a minute long, plus there were alot of rings, and too little badniks. I admit, levels like these are cool and fun but only when used sparringly. This level actually pretty much automatically gives you a live since there really isnt a way to lose your rings until after 100, IIRC. The next act better be tough as hell so I know I NEED that extra life. D:

12. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Oh, you have to remember that the level wasn't finished. I myself wanted to make it twice as long, but never got to that point.

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    NEWEST version of my hack added to: Hacktube

This version is newer than the one you can currently download standalone. Of course Hacktube has a download button, so eh. :P

Note: the emulator sucks, so there are more bugs than normal. :P

Ok, waste of time, the rom doesnt even work with the emulator.

14. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Yeah it's a shame about that, but I doubt it's an emulator bug, in my experience with it it seems the emulation is actually very close to real hardware funnily enough. Perhaps you're not reading/writing SRAM correctly? You should see if you can get it working in the offline version of the emulator.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I will say that there were graphical glitches when I played S3K on that emulator, mainly having to do with layer deformation -- Marble Garden final boss (Sonic), Knuckles' bombing in Launch Base, and the boss of Lava Reef 3.

16. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Well the emulation isn't perfect, that is true, but a lot of the crashes I have experienced, such as Sonic 1 plus and S1EE happened exactly the same time and way as on my ROM copier unit. I haven't tried the latest SMTP though.

17. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Slooooooow progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Schweeeeet, a countdown. This shall help me find all them pesky emblems!

19. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    I'm glad to see you finally got back to work on it. Really nice and I wish you good luck and more time. :P

20. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Heh awesome, I see you've gone back to the original layout of the hud instead of the one where everything is on top. Or is it switchable?

One thing though, if it's possible, move the "S" counter to the right a bit. It looks a little crushed in, that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.