don't click here

Sonic 2: S3 Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Alriightyman, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    The ARZ transitions work perfectly for me, I am using Gens+.

Don't know why its crashing for everyone else...

2. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Which version of Gens+? I am using Gens+ 0.0.9.61 and it still gives me problems on the ARZ transistions.

3. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Chemical plant to ARZ transition screws up on my Fusion, and after Levelselecting past it, I've found the same glitch everyone else talks about.

4. Digiku

Digiku

Oldbie
    Ditto, ARZ1 - ARZ2 halts in Fusion, pretty much in the same fashion as the screenshot above. Chemical Plant - ARZ was okay for me, though.

That being said, LOVELY hack! I've followed this one for a while and I positively love it, it's a favorite :flunked: Sonic 3's little details (especially the act transitions) do wonders for Sonic 2, especially when, imo, Sonic 2 was missing these very neat details, even if they were small. It all makes Sonic 2 feel more complete. Keep up the awesome work!

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, I love this! I was surprised and pleased by the inclusion of the Sonic 3 save screen, and the new transitions make everything flow together better. I absolutely loved the miniboss in EHZ1 and the cutscene at the end of EHZ2—both were very imaginative and true to the spirit of Sonic 3. While some of your tiny layout edits were questionable (I didn't understand some of the edits to EHZ1), I loved all of the new transitions. Very cool. :)

One thing that bugged me, though—what's up with the peel-out animation? Were you planning on implementing the peel-out at all, or did you just like the extra running animation? Seemed to be a bit weird... not only that, but I think it triggers too early. The velocity we had to trigger it in Megamix was $A00, if I recall correctly; applying that change should help things transition smoother. ;)

Here's hoping you shape up everything to be even better in the next release. Keep up the great work! :flunked:

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    The peel-out animation is just there as a top speed animation. Although I agree, it does trigger too soon.

7. I'm using the latest build of Kega, and am frozen at the CPZ transition.

Hope this can be fixed.

Time for Level Select...

EDIT: Just crashed at the end of ARZ Act 1.

8. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I definitely love the concept, but it still feels sketchy at some places (the falling signpost in EHZ1 comes to mind). I hope you can fix those glitches, I don't want to be forced to use the level select :flunked:.

Strangely enough, the ARZ1 -> ARZ2 transition didn't crash for me (I'm using Gens Movie Test 10a). However, when I completed ARZ2, the game just froze after the score tally, when the transition to CNZ1 should have started.

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

I disagree, I think the timing of it is perfect. Any faster and you'd never see it. Its at the point where I can cruise with it, which is awesome.

10. ARZ haults right when the act clear pose is supposed to trigger : /

11. VivaLaVida

VivaLaVida

This Guy.... Member
    Editing layouts in SonED2
    Wow this is impressive. I like the level transitions, and this looks like it'll be good. Keep up the nice work! :)

I did experience a bug in CNZ act 2, where I had an eletric shield, and two moving blocks were supposed to squish me, yet I hit A twice to do the jump and for some reason I didn't get squished. And just like everyone else ARZ 1 >2 is messed up for me. Overall I enjoyed this release and hope to see progress.

(Great, last trial post =P)

12. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Playing it I've enjoyed it so far, I've noticed a few bugs.
    If you're stood atop of a creature capsule on any act 2 when the score tally comes up, the change-zone sequence does not occur. (Least it didn't the first four times I completed the first zone... since then I learned not to be on it XD) In this case it's best to be stood on the right side of the screen to progress.
    Not sure how it occurred nor can I seem to replicate it but when I played into Emerald Hill Zone act 2 for hte first time, when running along a platform I would remain along the same Y axis until I jumped ( I believe someone else mentioned this? ) until I died, after it seemed to sort itself out.
    Spin-dashing and not releasing at the finish will cause the score tally to not show (and the game to freeze on occasion)
    The same "no transition" bug as others, however upon resetting thankfully because of the SRM you can continue from the save select screen, I'm up to metropolis zone.

13. This hack is really awesome, I love it. I guess it was an awful lot of work to port all these features, but it seems to work fine (for me)! :)
    ...I hope you'll fix the bugs the others posted, though.

Looki

14. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Great hack, enjoying the transitions but experienced a bug at the end of CPZ. The game was still running, but the transition wouldnt trigger and sonic just stood there in his waiting animation

15. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Really nice work, particularly on the save screen, miniboss and end-of-level cutscene. As Tweaker said, some of the layout changes seem unnecessary, but other than that I'm looking forward to playing this all the way through.

16. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    I've completed this fully without save-states or level-select, Once you have completed a boss and the level results vanish you can reload the rom if it locks up and it will have saved your progress.

As for the transition not triggering, read my post above. Stand to the right of the capsule and do not spin-dash charge.

17. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    Ok, I think I found the probelm with the ARZ crash. I am actually surprized it even played at all during the transition. However, I have to fix an issue with ARZ act 2 before I can release a bug fix. Expect it out tonight or tomorrow afternoon. :)

18. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Not in Hill Top Zone! Ohohohoho, your ever-so-precious "momentum-based physics" means that if Sonic doesn't have enough speed to get through that loop, he just sits there. Struggling his little hedgehog heart out.

:)

19. JDAdams

JDAdams

Same problem with the ARZ1>2 transition here - it's a great hack though, it really is. Irritated that I got all the emeralds and then got stuck. Also Super Sonic's pupils seem to have left his eyeballs, I guess because you removed their green colour. Any chance you could at least put them back in black?

20. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    The layouts are made to help line up the backgrounds in some levels, though I'm not finished with that yet. I'm going to try to tackle a level at a time. I probably will not add the peel-out, but I liked the animations so I thought they would be nice for when you reach higher speeds. Also, I changed it to $A00 as it triggered a lot smoother. There will be plunty of other transitions as I go.

I have fixed the ARZ transition crash, at least it was working fine in Kega Fusion as well as gens, if anybody is still getting the crash let me know what emulator you are using so I can test it out. I'm not going to post yet another link, so I just updated all the other ones. :) Also, Sonic shouldn't walk on air in EHZ anymore. Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.