Sonic 2 BETA ROM

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 3588897, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    So there is no chanceof me getting arrested for playing this? And on a side note: This beta game is awesome! I wish HPZ got to the final!

2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Wow. Nice!

3. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Shiiiit, and I thought my ROMs folder was big. O_o

4. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    I just deleted it because I don't want to go to jail. Now if there is a savestate to make sonic 2 final run exactly like sonic 2 beta then I'll get those as soon as possible because I have three sonic 2s. I'm not going to download sonic 2 beta again until I possitive I won't go to jail.

5. Actualy, DVDs and my own HD were too small, so I bought a bunch of used HDs to store them on. I have a stack of drives on my shelf here with nothing but roms on them. ISOs are different, I just burn them as soon as they finish.

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Dude... you aren't going to go to jail.

But, there is something you might find useful, though you first need to downlaod StealthPatch, which can be found at Sonicology. Then, go to Esrael's site and download Sonic 2 Delta II, found here,
    Then, take StealthPatch, and patch the IPS file in the Sonic 2 Delta II ZIP to a normal Sonic 2 ROM by going to "Apply IPS patch", and save the file as "(insertfilenamehere).bin". This only works if the Sonic 2 ROM you are working with is in BIN format, and not SMD. Be sure to check.

This is a hack by famed hacker/techie Esrael that adds Hidden Palace, Wood Zone, "Dust Hill", Winter Hill, and various other things to Sonic 2.

7. Vangar

Vangar

I have the entire MD ROM Collection myself, as verified by GOODGen. Go for it and keep the ROM.

8. I don't think he is ready for that. He still needs to get over his fear of all those bogus warning messages.

The fact is, 3588897, they aren't making money off these games anymore. And because of this, they don't realy give a shit. Neither do the police. BTW, I would reccomend that you NOT download roms from websites. There are better and safer ways of obtaining roms. (By safer, I mean some sites are malicious.)

9. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    How else could I obtain a ROM? And besides I think sonic 2 beta will be the only ROM I get unless its a beta hack from these forums that I've seen in reverse engineering.

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    There are a few good ROM sites, such as EmuParadise and SonicStuff (Sonic Strike), but some are good ways to get viruses, spyware, etc., but a lot of times it is smarter to find them elsewhere. Certain unscrupulous IRC channels, for instance ;). If you think you can handle what I said, that is a good alternative to S2Beta (and I'd be surprised if you can't find a mention of S2 Delta in the E/RE forums *cough*), but if not, just download the Sonic 2 Beta.

YOU WILL NOT GET ARRESTED

11. Well, this site is safe to download from, and I'm pretty sure you can trust the other members. But try to avoid other websites the require voting and such.

As for getting roms from different sources, you can get individual roms and probably full sets from IRC rom channels. Another way, but almost always offers complete sets, is torrents. You could risk getting a virus if you use a file sharing program such as Kazaa, but with the right software, it could be done safely. You could also trade through instant messangers, which is kinda akward as you must first find someone that has roms, then convince them to send you some.

There are a few other ways like FTP and even DOS file transfers if you are that extreme, or you could get a friend you know in real life to burn some onto a CD. Owning a rom is NOTHING. Take it from someone that has almost every game that came from a cartridge, YOU WON'T GET IN TROUBLE FOR ONE ROM!!!

12. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    If a little humour a day keeps the gloom away, you just sorted me out for the month.

I've seen people openly boast about copying new console games in front of police officers. If THEY didn't do anything, I highly doubt someone who doesn't know (because the only people who will know you have the rom is yourself and possibly your isp if they gave a damn to check) will do anything, especially for a 10+year old beta game.

'Sides, Sega knows we have the beta. If they cared, this site and others like it wouldn't be here. Companies can no more control the internet and what you download than old people can their bowels.

13. Vangar

Vangar

I have a friend who's a policeman and guess what? I gave him ROMs and he didn't even know what they were. Its that safe.

14. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE TO GETTING THE ROM!

There are a few places that acually had betas of Sonic 2 in the early 90s. If you can track one down, which we'll require a lot of research and sluething on your part, then you will:
    1) Be our hero.
    2) Have a beta.
    3) Likely get full membership here.
    4) Win.
    6) Get to yell our the sacred words,
    "I HAEV TEH BAETAH!!11"

Really, It'll be awesome. Quit looking for ROMs. They're illegal, take it from 8-bit Dragon there.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    JAIL

I'm positive they're coming to get you as we're speaking. Also, they can find any ROMs in your hard drive even if you have deleted them, I suggest you just throw your computer out of the window and pretend it's not yours.

16. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    No offence 3588897, but it looks like we have a turd here. First, why would someone choose a stupid name such as "3588897" that no one can barely even remember? Second, why say crap like "ONOES I IZ GITING ARESTED F0R TEH DOWNLOADING S2B ONOES OMFG LOL" or "IZ IT TEH SAFE 2 TEHHH DOWNLOAD S2B LOL LOL OMFG," honestly, SEGA doesn't care, and if they did, this site woudn't even exist at all. Either leave, or shape up, or else you won't get approved due to being a n00bish scaredy cat. Sorry if this is a bit harsh, but crap like this just makes you look bad.

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Yeah, really, the ONLY person that Sega would care about in this situation would be the person who first dumped and spread the beta ROM, and since that happened back in 1991 or 1992, noone knows who did it, so it'd be pointless on Sega's behalf.

18. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Wow, you are paranoid. My dad works for the government, and he knows I do ROM hacking. He doesn't give a shit, either, except his saying it's not consructive. =P

19. Skaarg

Skaarg

3588897 If you even THINK about downloading that ROM again. I will report you to sega, the police, and the FBI.

20. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Dude, copyright infringement genrally, actually, mostly does NOT involve police or getting arrested. ;)

Don't worry, download the ROM, have some fun with it. If we were going to get in trouble, like others said, it would have happened a long time ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.