don't click here

Sonic 2 BETA ROM

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 3588897, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    I'm thinking about getting the sonic two beta rom if its 100% legal to download. So I have a few question. Is downloading sonic two beta legal and alright with sonic team? If it counts as the final version would I be able to use it as a back up if other wise it isn't legal? And a question about where to get it if its legal. Where can I get sonic two beta if its legal to download? Please answer these questions as I want it very badly.

2. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    It's illegal, but if you're worried about legality, you're not gonna have much fun here. Pretty much every one of our hacks could be considered illegal, too. :P

And at any rate, Sega doesn't seem to care much about us. If they were gonna shut this down, they would have done it a long time ago.

3. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    So I would be in trouble with the law if I downloaded it? And isn't it legal to download a ROM if it was never officialy released? And could the beta be considered a back-up of the final game? Please help.

4. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Its illegal, but SEGA has yet to take action against anyone with the beta. And if youre looking for sites to find it on, just google for it...tons of sites have the beta for download, like mine(cheap plug).

5. Aurochs

Aurochs

1. Downloading ROMs is not a criminal activity. You could get sued, but the chances of that happening are effectively zero.
    2. No.
    3. No.

6. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    So I could download it and have a 10% and down chance of getting caught? And what if I were to use an IP masking program to download it? Would my ISP or the police know about it at all then?

7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    It's safer than jaywalking. Jaywalking is still unlawfull though.

8. Kampfer

Kampfer

10%!?

Boy, it's more like a .00001%. You're a little too paranoid for your own good.

If they haven't shut down this site, then they won't come after you. They haven't come after me.

*Hides rom collection behind him*

9. Aurochs

Aurochs

The police. Do not. CARE. This is copyright infringement, not shoplifting. The police have nothing to do with it. And your ISP is not going to get involved unless Sega presses them (which they probably won't).

10. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    So your all saying I could download it and have a small chance of getting caught? Well thanks guys. And I tried google and I couldn't find a site that still had the sonic two beta download. But more info would be nice.

11. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    You won't get in trouble, believe me. No one is going to run up to your door, holding a gun to your head, demanding to see the contents of your computer.

http://www.sonicstrike.net/~sonicroms/roms/ if you want the ROM, try here. ;)

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Yes, pretty much everyone here would be sued if legal issues were to arise, but seeing as this site has existed for five years, SEGA knows of us and doesn't give a damn. So go to Sonic Strike and download the ROM.

13. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    If I download it though to avoid legal issues should I delete it within 24 hours just in case? And if I do could I download it again when I want to play it again?

14. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    @_@

Keep the ROM. SEGA couldn't care less, they've known we had the beta for five years and haven't done a thing. But if you are really that paranoid, sure, delete it after twenty four hours, and no, you aren't supposed to download it again, but as I said, no one really cares if you keep it longer.

15. 3588897

Pending Member
    Sonic 2 Redone
    I just downloaded it and it said the zip file it was in was corrupted for some reason. I just deleted it because gens wouldn't run it either. Now where should I go?

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
  17. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Try here. It should work.

18. Kles

Kles

It is illegal but so is a lot of stuff you do. You will not be caught. If SEGA cared, they would pursue those who provide the ROM and not the ones who receive the ROM. It's a 12 year old beta ROM.

YOU WILL NOT GET IN TROUBLE.

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    its so illegal, three members last month got arrested for having the beta rom. I suggest you DO NOT download it. There are so many bachelors in prison you know.

20. ROFL :P

Anyways, listen 3588897, I am byfar the most likely to be arested for owning roms. I have sevral million if not a few billion roms from almost every system ever invented. Or, roughly a quarter of a terrabyte worth. I have NOT got any calls from my ISP, no letters from the copyright owners, no e-mails from the sources I got them from. NOTHING FROM NOBODY.

One little rom is a speck of sand in the vast universe that is the internet. The feds have much better things to do than to bust someone for having a beta of a 10 year old videogame. Trust me, it won't hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.