don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Retroman

Retroman

In one beta of Sonic 2, there was Green Hill Zone from Sonic 1. Perhaps Sega Institute was trying to port some enemies from there into levels, but it took some time.

2. Barry the Nomad

Barry the Nomad

Site Staff
    Chicago
    SEGAbits
    These releases are my equivalent of Criterion Collection releases, so I am really looking forward to seeing what Taxman and Stealth have planned for my favorite Sonic game of all time!

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    I'm curious; has anybody tried this thing on an Ouya yet?

4. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    Add a restart stage button?

5. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Or an insta kill pit, which would do the same, just without having to mess about going into options menus......

6. But a restart stage button means that it will work anywhere, and some people just like the option (especially if they're going for the chaos emeralds or something).

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Another solution would be to add the original monitor and spring from the prototype, then remove the bridge's bottom solidity... I guess.

8. Machenstein

Machenstein

This. Why do the bridges in Mystic Cave Zone have bottom solidity anyway? The ones in Emerald Hill Zone don't.

9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    This is kind of offtopic, but I'm surprised nobody has jumped in to correct you yet.

Sonic 2 was built starting from the code and assets they had from Sonic 1. The reason Green Hill zone and all of the music from Sonic 1 was still present is just because of that. They weren't going to re-write the whole thing from scratch again. It wasn't ported content, it was just leftover content.

10. Retroman

Retroman

Thanks for the correction.

Can someone confirm if there was a cactcus enemy planned on Dust Hill Zone because it seems that Sonic Team rehashed that concept for lost world's.

And I am excited for what taxman adds in Sonic 1-2, but mostly for Sonic3K. It's a secret though :shh:

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Speaking of the beta I was always surprised that they built Emerald Hill over Star Light. You'd think they'd just take GHZ's slot.

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I think if they just went with the beta layout, and made that one bridge close again after a few seconds, it would feel pretty natural.

Or just keep it like the final and people could just exit back to the title screen and start the stage over. (Didn't S1 and CD get a restart option? If so we can expect it in this port)

13. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    As far as the pit is concerned, this is my last statement on the matter:

It's been fine before. It will be fine now.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I agree. This is the ONE part of the original games where it really punishes you for not paying attention, and it should stay as a part of the game as it is part of the beauty of the game, and definitely a "landmark". At least it's not like Sonic Lost World which boosts you off the side of the level.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    A punishment is a lost life. Not being made to wait till you CAN lose a life. There's a reset button now, so it's whatever.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Except for two people, we're all saying it wasn't fine before, so surely there must be something wrong about it.

17. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Sonic Jam fixed the pit by adding the red spring back.
    Just mentioning it because I didn't see it.

18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Surely with all the attention this is getting people would surely not be daft enough to still fall in to it? :v:/>/>

At the end of the day, this is not a design improvement course for the originals, this is merely a new lick of paint and possibly a character or two added and some hidden cheats. if you start changing the layout of the original game (which is a classic in it's entirety) you open the gates for people to take all sorts of liberties.

One of the few times Sonic 2 fucks you over is with this pit in Mystic Cave. It's an infamous part of the original game now. Taking it out would be like chiselling off the dick off Michelangelo's David just to spare offence. You've all lived with it for 21 years, you can live with it for eternity now.

[​IMG]

Also, as I'm aware, Sonic Jam had an "easy" mode for the games, so I'm assuming if it was changed in Sonic Jam it was only for that particular mode.

If you want to change something, get the Super Sonic End of Act glitch removed, because that is game breaking.

19. KeebeeNacho

KeebeeNacho

WORM BAGGED Member
    USA
    I'm drawing something, not that you'll ever see it.
    I suppose we'll also be complaining about the barrel of doom not being removed once they get around to remaking Sonic 3.

20. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Changing the barrel itself isn't needed. Just add a sign next to it with up and down arrows. That'll probably make the solution much more obvious.