don't click here

SEGA is doing a live stream with a Sonic Team segment

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hukos

Hukos

I'm pretty sure Sega is just trolling all of you. :rolleyes:

I'm sure, as the "Red Herring" indicates, it's nothing.

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

There hasn't been a Sonic _______ 3 anything in years. Not since Sonic Advance 3 which came out in 2004. Which IS almost 10 years ago.

The plot thickens. Maybe I cracked their code, maybe I'm just insane and wasting my time. So maybe we will get Episode 3 after all? Or perhaps Sonic Adventure 3? Sega learned how to troll by watching us. The students have become the masters.....again.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Or it's the third blog post about Hedgehog Day they've made. Or there's a 3 there because it's 2013.

Also, red herring means red herring. in other words, SEGA is probably just fucking with us.

4. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    From the comments of the Sega Blog post:

I think it's nothing as well. I was going to make another Sonic 3 CD and Knuckles and Knuckles reference with everyone thinking they're working on Sonic Adventure 3 or S4 Ep. III, but I'm not gonna bother. We'll just have to wait and see. I'd keep an eye on the Sonic's Facebook page, as that's where the Generations teaser was posted originally.

5. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    It will be really funny if it does end up being the official Sonic Adventure 3 and that its partner of the year is the conclusion to the Sonic Classic: Rush Saga.

At this point, Sega's cashing in hard on the nostalgia. Ever since 2010, nostalgia has been the mission statement with titles like Sonic 4: 1 & 2, Generations, and even Colours to an extent due to its use of older Badniks that otherwise do not fit with the rest of the Sonic Heroes robots. Let's also not forget all of the re-releases lately as well as the superb Sonic CD remake.

There's no reason not to expect Adventure 3 or that this title started as it once again. It's ingrained in their heads that nostalgia = cash now. They've become the corporal result of Sonic: Other M.

Expect it. Whatever happens tomorrow, I'm sure something Sonic related will be on the agenda, I'm expecting a new Sonic to be announced and if its an actually new step towards actually advancing the franchise and not continuing the trend of rehashing elements of older games without the understanding of what made said elements good, then I'll be shocked. But I'm expecting the official Sonic Adventure 3. It's almost inevitable.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why the hell would anything happen tomorrow? It said red herring, prob just a way to say "lol I know you want to know what the next Sonic game is but you're not gonna know shit."

And I liked Color's reuse of old badniks. It reused some in new ways, it was pretty cool.

7. nesboy43

nesboy43

As others have stated, red herring is a metaphor for something that "throws you off". It is used in most forms of story telling. Sega had a blog post with bolded letters that people decided to scramble and create Red Herring with, but it could possibly form another word. If they were trying to convey "red herring" than it means that either that blog post, or the live stream was made to distract you from what is actually going on.

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Hold up there, bud. Sega's been cashing in on nostalgia WAAAAAAY before 2010. They've really been doing this since 2001. Green Hill Zone in SA2? Seaside Hill being a blatant Green Hill rip-off? That's only a couple, I can name way more.

9. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    But it wasn't the focus before now save for Heroes.

It's much more prominent now.

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    According to this tweet from RubyEclipse (Sega's brand manager Aaron Webber) Sega are going to announce something soon. Also he refers to the game as "Sonic's next adventure" which is yet another hint in a long line of hints that indicate the game is going to be Sonic Adventure 3. It appears as though the Sonic Stadium rumour is correct. The rumour stated Sega's announcement would come around mid-February and it looks like Sega is ramping up marketing efforts as we approach that timeframe. It can only be a matter of weeks if not days before an official announcement.

Anyone have any idea what Aaron means by Texas? Is there a specific game event happening there soon or something? Christ Sega's being intentionally vague with all these hints. First the cryptic Sega of America blog post and now this. It looks like Sega of America will be the ones announcing the game if Aaron's involved. Hopefully we'll hear something concrete sooner rather than later. I'm personally hoping the game's a modernised Sonic Adventure 3.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A. God damn it people the blog post said Red Herring. Do you all realize that means lolz troll
    B. How the hell else would they refer to the next game? Sonic's newest quest or journey or epic? Those sound retarded
    C. If it's Adventure 3 they have so much to fix I don't even know where to start.

12. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    The Sonic Stadium rumour (which thus far seems to be legit and correct) indicated that the game has a vast array of characters which as we know is a signature of the Sonic Adventure games. Then you have the fact that the rapper that makes those theme songs for Knuckles stated he was working on a Sonic-related project a few months back. Those Knuckles theme songs have only appeared in the Sonic Adventure games. Then you have all of these hints indicating a possible new Sonic Adventure along with Sega's recent re-release of Sonic Adventure 2. It's not completely certain (the game could be anything; potentially even something entirely new) but everything thus far indicates it's Sonic Adventure 3 or at the very least a spiritual successor to Sonic Adventure 2.

Again we have nothing concrete from Sega but based on all of the information we have seen thus far it's Sonic Adventure 3.

EDIT: One more thing that adds to this theory. Sega registered a load of Sonic Adventure 3 domains in the middle of last year.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

This is a HUUUUUGE stretch, but Retro Studios is based in Texas.... Yeah, that's probably not the case.

Any major conventions taking place there in the near future?

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I don't think that tweet is supposed to mean anything except for Aaron going to Texas.

15. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Nintex just tweeted this.

Called it. Completely called it. I've been saying for weeks that the game was going to be Sonic Adventure 3. Too much evidence indicating so. This is just even more evidence. It appears as though the leaks are now starting. I'm glad because it might force Sega's hand to speed up the announcement. So who's looking forward to Sonic Adventure 3?

EDIT: Just an FYI this guy runs this Nintendo site. He's not just a random dude on Twitter.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Who the hell is Nintex?

Anyway, my opinion on SA3? Terrible idea. It goes back on every bad idea that Sonic had when starting off in 3D and decides to relook at it. Now it's impossible to say exactly what SA3 would be like at this stage, but this game can take either two roads I imagine. It is the true SA3 and goes the route of a polished Sonic 06, which at the end of the day could still be horrible, or it's named SA3 but it's so drastically different from the first two that it's only recognizable in character selection and name (and possibly chao gardens, but if those things return the process better be streamlined because I'm not raising one of those assholes again).

If the game is like the second of my two ideas, I may look forward to it. If it's like the first idea though, they got a lot of work to do.

V Kinda in Greg's boat right now. Admittedly I would like to play as Knuckles again, but it has to be done right. And SA3 would make some sense. The Adventure series is like the modern fan's Genesis series. With a name like SA3 they can once again cash in on nostalgia.

17. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

A Zone Unknown of Title
    I'm going to wait for images to leak first. THEN, I'll tell you what I think.

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    According to the Sonic Stadium rumour it's the second of your ideas. The rumour stated they're keeping the Unleashed/Generations modern-Sonic gameplay (with 2D side scrolling segments). I highly doubt Sega are going to sacrifice ten years of Sonic's evolution to revert to an engine and gameplay style that proved disastrous with Sonic 2006. My guess would be they're using the name to boost sales. Sonic Generations did "okay" sales-wise but hardly set the charts on fire. Remember the game never actually received any DLC because it wasn't the multi-million seller Sega were hoping it would be. Generations did what, just over a million across the 360 and PS3? Solid sales but nothing compared to the sales that the Adventure name managed to sell.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are still the best selling 3D Sonic titles ever released; eclipsing every 3D Sonic game released afterwards. Sonic Adventure did 4 million-plus across Dreamcast and GameCube whilst Sonic Adventure 2 managed almost 2 million via a belated GameCube re-release alone (as well as selling extremely well via its re-release on Xbox Live Arcade). Sega are desperate to do anything to make money; so it's extremely likely they chose to greenlight the game they believed would sell the most. The Sonic Adventure games are proven sellers so it's likely they're using the name to boost sales even if the game may turn out to be a reiteration of the modern-Sonic gameplay featured in the recent games. If the game is going to be Sonic Adventure 3 and all of the evidence indicates that it will be; they're using the name in pursuit of sales.

I have a feeling this will be Sonic Adventure 3 in name only. It's going to be modern-Sonic again. I strongly believe they're just using the name.

EDIT: It has just dawned on me this will likely mean the return of Chao gardens. Fuck. Yes. Who's excited for Chao gardens?

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Just because the game shares the name "Adventure" doesn't mean that they're forgetting everything they did with Unleashed, Colors and Generations. It's a name. I love the name. It incurs some very cool ideas just by saying it.

SA3 has always been inevitable. I just think Sega has sat on the name until a rainy day, knowing instant cash could be made from it. I don't mind playing as other characters again in a smaller capacity than Sonic, as long as they keep Sonic's gameplay as polished and intricate as they were in Generations. Again, Seaside Hill (Modern) is the best designed 3D Sonic level ever made. If they continue using that as a template, I have nothing but anticipation for it.

+ - Plus I actually DO want to see the Chao Garden return :colbert:  

To those who will instantly have a kneejerk negative reactions are idiotic. Let's wait to see something about the game before passing immature judgement, mmkay?

20. My personal opinion on Sonic Adventure 3? It's just a name.