don't click here

Sega Forever

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by High Fidelity, Jun 14, 2017.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah - pretty much looks like Sega fucked this one up. Such a slick and confident, cool marketing campaign echoing Sega's heydey from the nineties kind of ruined by sub-par emulation and almost unplayable games. Sega really should have cut a deal with the Retroarch guys to get a decent emulator here - first impressions are everything and people might shun the service now since the debut games are so disappointing. Hopefully there's an update on the way to rectify all this? Not holding my breath however.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    [​IMG]

Looks like SEGA Forever is not being released in Japan.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Exactly! They got it right on Steam and it baffles me to see them making this huge mistake again.

Playing this release of Kid Chameleon is like playing it with gloves on a laggy, blurry screen. Being a really punishing game that demands heavy control accuracy, I wouldn't even recommend trying it if you don't want to hate this game forever.

...Yeah, what's with that? It seems like an odd oversight.

4. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Interesting discussion on NeoGAF about this with one of the guys from RetroArch: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395268&page=9

And an article from Eurogamer that also includes a lengthy response from RetroArch: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-21-sega-releases-classic-games-on-mobile-for-free-but-at-what-cost

TLDR: Sega totally fucked RetroArch over by being stubborn, echoing the days of Sega of Japan in the nineties, and turned down an awesome emulator that would run these games perfectly for an inferior solution, basically because they wouldn't bend to reasonable requests like showing the RetroArch logo amongst others. Sega fucked up.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    SEGA Forever sure is nostalgic :specialed: But seriously how did they not notice these performance issues prior to launch? Or worse, did they notice them and just not care?

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Judging by the performance of Kid Chameleon, I'm not sure they even try to play them before release anymore.

7. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Rewatched the launch trailer and made a list of everything I could spot (along with anything seen on the website)

*Seen in Sega Forever Trailer but no announcement or previous mobile release
    ^previously released on mobile

SG-1000
    Girl's Garden*

Master System
    Wonderboy*

Mega Drive/Genesis/CD
    Alex Kidd*
    Altered Beast
    Comix Zone
    Ecco the Dolphin*
    Golden Axe*
    Kid Chameleon
    Phantasy Star II
    Revenge of Shinobi*
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2^
    Soni CD^
    Streets of Rage*
    Streets of Rage 2*
    Vectorman*

Game Gear

Saturn

Dreamcast
    Crazy Taxi^
    Jet Set Radio^
    Sonic Adventure*

Other (Arcade/post-SEGA hardware)
    Super Hang On* (could be MD ver.)
    Virtua Tennis Challenge^

I suppose I should include titles from the cassette tape, but for several of those games it could be from one of multiple versions depending on which source was used for the audio.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Both Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castel (Genesis) and Alex Kidd in Miracle World Revision 2 (SMS) were shown. The sprite of Alex Kidd eating the hamburger is from the second (EU/US) revision of Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

[​IMG]

9. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Reads like an imbalance of focus to me. It looks like they poured masses of money in to a flashy and genuinely awesome marketing campaign and completely cheaped out on the actual production i.e. securing a decent emulation solution or even a decent front end. This really, really should have been a "Sega Forever" app that updates as new games are added, a slick interface encompassing all their releases, so the execution of this was destroyed from the get-go.

At this point all we can hope for is a revision of the service that resolves these issues. Now there's a negative press shit storm that might force Sega's hand.

10. Sonic Adventure & Jet Set Radio would be fun on phones... also fucking impossible to play :v:

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I played JSR on my phone just fine

12. It was infuriating for me!

I'd still like to see SA on phones though for shits & giggles

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean I've played SA on an emulator on my phone. It's doable but I've had far more enjoyable experiences with the game.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    They intend to extend Sega Forever to PC and consoles, but the sad thing is the deal with RetroArch that fell through would have had both from launch (according to the RetroArch guys). Can't believe Sega executed something that started off so slick and promising only to have it fail so disastrously like, on the first day.

They're going to need a Sega Forever mark II and just completely reboot this.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, that trailer was spot on perfectly 90s Sega - it's just a shame the product hasn't come up to scratch =/

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

People keep saying this, but to me, commercials like that miss the mark. It was a mix-mash of different eras of Sega branding, when Sega in the 90's was pretty controlling of their brand and corporate slogans. So you wind up getting stuff like "WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL" next to the grid-design which had already been retired at that point.

Personally, I think the way Watermelon games advertises captures Sega's 90's advertising style much better.

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

At least I'm not the only one having problems with the "Restore Purchase" option in Sonic 1. I hope Sega fixes this soon. Kinda mad that it's not working.
    EDIT: Right after I posted this, there was an update for iOS. So, it's fixed.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'll be the one to say it: That SEGA screen with the "Sonic got hit" noise is quite annoying. It was a sound designed to tell the player that they did something wrong and now it greets everyone when opening each and every game.

And they included it in the Sonic remakes now, so you could say that they're even slightly retrofucking their best mobile releases. Way to go.

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, I think the Super Emerald sparkle effect/Sonic 3D title screen sound effect might've been a better choice.

20. Pengi

Pengi

It reminded me of Burning Rangers.