don't click here

S1 Hacking Studio

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by vladikcomper, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Awesome! I could actually start hacking something without being put-off by the immense amount of pointless technical work akin to a 300-page essay on the political history of the European Union just to make a simple little hack. Now I don't feel like I have to give up my life to make a fucking hack. Thanks! :-)

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    How about a text/html file or so that explains how to make each feature manually on their own?

3. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    Wow, I didn't expected my program would cause so hot discussions. =)

I understand that S1 Hacking Studio let people easily do very difficult things. It all was made to increase the quality of hacks in my community. I gave myself task to make people use disasms instead of ESE, but I didn't notice that some people are noobs, some just don't want use newer hacking tools, but want to have cool things in their hacks. Classic Sonic games hacking is on the bad level in my community and very few people want to hack classic Sonic games. That's because Sega Mega Drive come to Russia very late (just late in 1990s), and few people could have it that time, so its popularity was lower than in U.S/Japan/Europe. So we have less Classic Sonic fans. And the age of our SMD fans is about 12-16 years old (I'm 15 =) ).

Release of my program made will of our hackers come true, but they wanted more. I was asked to add super sonic, another characters and more music. But I said NO. Yes, it's enough. I've made toooo many cool things adding by one-click. So I stopped developing this project for a while. But I will continue developing it after I finish my hack and other projects. But I won't add "cool things" anymore. Maybe, I'll add small pallete editor, graphics editor or something else like that.

Also, I think my program fits for few people. Those, who like hacking, spent much time learning ASM, worked with music and graphics don't like the idea of the program, because it can let noobs make as cool hacks as normal hackers do. Those, who are not really interested in hacking, but making their "hacks" with ESE and Sonik Sprite, won't use my program too. Because they don't want spend their time learning something new.

As for countless hacks with the same content, I don't think so. A week had passed since S1 Hacking Studio was released on some Russian forums, but I still see no hacks made with my program (but in our community new hacks come out very quickly).

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Oh, I agree, but if he had explained his opinion in that way instead of being a jerk about it, I wouldn't've had a problem with it. Tools like this might encourage overuse of features, sure, but *developing* them takes time, talent, effort, and a thorough understanding about how to hack as well as programming. To reply smartassedly to a person like that I just consider rude - especially because this is a new user and he used some of his first posts to produce a utility - how often can you say that?

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Is it sad I saw the reaction to this app coming before even reading the first reply? =P

Nice work on your behalf, vladikcomper, it's a very well made app, certainly better than my limited coding skills could do. =P I actually agree with Marc on this in that those who want a quickfix hack starring their own recolour that exactly 2 people will give 2 shits about can make as many hacks as they like with this - with the bugs mentioned in the code - while those who actually have the time and inclination to get down and do it themselves will get a more polished result out of it. There will always be generic hacks, people.

And as regard LunarMagic - I always viewed it as a really good level editor, for what it's worth - the UI is intuitive, it's easy to use and it works well.

6. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    This program is very, very nice indeed. The desing and eyerything is very well. But the general idea, like said millions of times before, is not good. But even though the most people say noobies are just getting this program, clicking 3 things and changing the palette a bit will make them l33t, there is something people never think on: There is a difference between lazy fucks and people who want to try it on there own! If a lazy guy will just use this program, he will not make a long way in the hacking scene. If there is however someone, who can image on his own how things run, I don't see a problem with this program, nor open sourcing things.

So if I were you, I would just put my hand on it again, fix bugs, maybe remove some features so they will not get oversued (like the spindash). The jumpdash especially, because it's just... crap (I once open sourced a jumpdash myself *runs far, far away*).

And one last thing: The Level Select Text editor is too fucking awesome! If you don't have anything against it, could I please have some help from you for my program? :)

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Interesting, but not really useful for any of my purposes. Props to you for taking the time to make it, though.

8. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

neat program, you should work on it more. :)

it's good for some people and not for others. as a programmer, I encourage working on anything as long as you can enjoy the results. even if it does cause a heated debate. :P

9. Beebles

Beebles

Now with OFFICIAL terrible Knuckles artwork. Member
    Check my blog for details.
    As ever, the quality of one's work can be shown by how they use their tools, not so much that they used the 'right' or 'wrong' tool. There will be several people who download this and use it to make quick click 'hacks'. But there will be those who use this, go in and determine what it changes, and learn from it. There will also be those who decide that this is not enough and go to learning ASM for what they want. The fakers will be blasted into oblivion, and those who work hard will reap reward.

Good work on the app.

10. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This doesn't work with hacks you have already started work on, does it? I attempted to port mine, and all my level layouts were gone. If there is a way to do that, I would use this, if only for the S3 Hud.

Very nice program by the way. As others have said, it's not the program that is a problem, its the mentality that uses it.

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Can't wait for the Sonic 2 edition of this. + - [/wishfulthinking]  

Great work!

12. Flygon

Flygon

I see zero problem with this program. It cuts out a few steps and makes the job easier.

Of course it is open to abuse, but lets face it, those hacks will fall out into obscurity because they'll just get ignored. More good hacks will arise. Sure, it follows a linear line of more both good and bad hacks, but when factoring in that bad hacks fall into obscurity, this sort of tool can only bring good.

I commend (Did I get the right word?) you.

Though, you may want to work out those kinks soon, otherwise that line might go slightly in favor of bad =P

13. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    I think the more tools there is that simplify things the better. If people then want to use them, they use them. If people want to use ASM, they do. Myself, I wouldn't make any hack ever, because I'm not interested in it - I can also see that there are people who would never bother with ASM even if they're good sprite artists. I can also see that there are people who'd like to have a simple playground to try things out before discovering there is a lot more.

I can never understand how the community should discourage creation and use of simple tools. In a democracy, for example, you let people decide on their own what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else, which I don't understand how this would do. Just because some people create and use simple tools, doesn't mean everyone starts doing it.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, making some basic stuff easier can make people focus in other original aspects of their hacks.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    The flaw here being that the spindash and jumpdash aren't exactly basics. They're full-blown new moves in Sonic 1, and require effort (usually) to put in. What happens when the original aspects become the new basics? How original do we want our rom hacks to get?

16. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    You guys have hit the nail on the head.
    This application is a Time Saver, IMO. Spindash and Jumpdash are copy/paste guides anyway, you don't learn anything, so why not turn in into on click, rather than ctrl+c, alt+tab, ctrl+v, art+tab, repeat?

17. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    My Porter utility can port data only from clean ROMs.
    But there is a simple way to port your data. If you worked with disassembly, you can easily replace "artnem", "levels", "objpos", "map16", "map256" and "pallet" folders in "SourceCode\" with ones from your disassembly.

I decided to stop developing my program. So, those who want to learn ASM, will fix bugs themselves.
    As for removing features, I think it's too late.

I knew out about your guide on SSRG just after I had written my own one. :)
    Including it in S1 Hacking Studio would be too cool (means bad). And... I still hasn't read your guide :P

Certainly. I'm not against :)

I don't really know what to explain there. These are very basic things.
    There are guides explaining how to add Spin Dash and Jump Dash. S3 Hud can be easily drawn in any Tile Editor.
    Sonic's top speed value and boss hits count are very simple to find in source code.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Apparently very. People around here seem to get very up in arms if ANY idea is used from one hack to another. The seemingly only universally accepted things to put in a Sonic 1 hack are Spindash and Super Sonic. Everything else you do better be original or you will face the wrath of the community.

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I'm really not sure how this changes the paradigm at all. Like others have said:

- It was possible to copy/paste this stuff before
    - Bad hacks were made before this tool was made and bad hacks will still be made afterwards. We will ignore them just like we do now.
    - This will allow people to focus on what I consider the meat and potatoes of hacking: making new levels and/or modes. I don't think "new moves" constitute a hack, quite frankly.

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.