don't click here

Robotnik's Revenge

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Hi! I'm 23 years old and I work as a programmer. I'm been reading these boards for several years now but this is the first time I've got something that I consider worth contributing. It's a hack of Sonic 2 that I've also entered in this year's hacking contest. It must have impressed someone here because it got me to Tech Member in one post - thanks!

Robotnik's Revenge consists of one long level in which you fight all of the bosses from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 consecutively. In Time Attack you have infinite lives to go for the fastest time you can. In Survival you have three lives and no rings to try and get as far as possible. In both modes you're given a rank based on how well you did.

Screenshots!

[​IMG]
    The title screen. Can you tell it was chucked in at the last minute?

[​IMG]
    Boss 1 of 17.

[​IMG]
    I think I've managed to get the behaviour and graphics of the Sonic 1 bosses to be accurate, but let me know if that's not the case!

[​IMG]
    Final Zone was the hardest to port by far, but I'm pleased with the results.

++Download++

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    You. Are. Just. Fucking. Awesome. :)
    I like how you did this boss zone, what I like about it as well as that the art & palletes from other levels & the S1 Eggmobile look unchanged.
    One thing I did find annoying was the Metropolis Zone boss, it seemed to be a bit harder to attack than usual.
    Anyway, fantastic work!

3. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I played this yesterday, as I was shown it on IRC. But bloody hell, it's brilliant! My only gripe is with the S1 bosses, as there seems to be incorrect bounce physics. I keep bouncing on the ball in the GHZ boss!

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    This is awesome! I gave it a runthrough yesterday, and here's the score I got (haven't tried again since):

[​IMG]

This is extremely well done. Not only did you perfectly get all the Sonic 1 bosses working in Sonic 2, but you replicated the arenas perfectly using Death Egg's (Chemical Plant's) graphics set! Did you simply edit the absolute coordinates on the bosses movement routines, or did you edit the bosses to use relative positioning? The latter would allow you to place the bosses anywhere, even as a normal object in SonED2 (which is something Malevolence did).

I really can't stress how extremely well done this is. Even that title screen (which you've dubbed as "last minute) looks really cool, and pretty fitting of the game. The only thing I could really suggest is having a more organized method of fighting the bosses—maybe you could have it so you do Sonic 1 boss, then Sonic 2 boss? Sonic 1 bosses in order followed by Sonic 2 bosses in order? Or maybe even a pick your own boss scenario like in the Mega Man games?

Anyway, great stuff! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future. :)

5. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    [​IMG]
    No savestates or cheats, as some people seem to be doing. :x

This is awesome.

6. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Wow, I was going to port the S1 bosses, I tip my hat to you, sir.

7. Labtrinth Zone Boss :)

Aside from that, great job! :D Very impressive. I hope I don't speak for myself when I say S3&K bosses in this would be great as well.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    My incredible time attack finish -- 11:01:05

Because I'm awesome.

I'm sure that's far from the best time though. I messed up in many different places. But good hack!

9. Yuzu

Yuzu

This is one of the greatest hacks of all time. Period.

10. Rokkan

Rokkan

I came.
    23:53:64 was my first attempt
    died a lot on the Metropolis, Wing Fortress and Scrap Brain bosses
    but with alll of those deaths, I developed a special tactic to defeat the Metropolis boss in less than a minute without taking a hit.

EDIT: Tryied again
    19:43:40
    This game's addicting me

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

EDIT: Figured out the problem.

For time attack I got:

14:56:86 *B*

I think it's an okay time.

12. SmashFGM

SmashFGM

Awesome hack I love the name for the hack "Robotnik's Revenge", well done. :)

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Awesome game needs awesome logo.

14. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Am I the only one that can't download it?

15. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Works here.

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    It seems like 9 out of 10 websites won't work for me... What's with that.

Can't get anything to load in IE either.

17. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    This is absolutely amazing. Makes me want to finish my EHZ boss port to S1...

The hacking contest has really brought us a load of awesome stuff this year. :)

18. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Awesome and very original hack. The S1 bosses ports are very good, too.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Good lord this is awesome. It's the perfect thing to just pick up and play because you can beat it in under 15 minutes. Good concept, honestly why someone never made this before now strikes me as strange.

Also I got a Rank A. I forget what time I got though, I believe it was in the 11s (It would have been better had I not wandered around the Labyrinth zone arena thinking I had to kill the boss in order for the boss count to go up.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Really nice work, kudos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.