don't click here

Robotnik's Revenge

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by ColinC10, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Game crashed when I beat final Robotnik ;)

Just froze on the last hit.

[​IMG]

bah.

2. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I have to agree. Maybe a boss theme/final level medley or something?

3. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    I just realized what this hack needs: the little slot showing Robotnik that you see during the Silver Sonic battle. Yeah, he'd be in two places at once, but who cares. We'd finally be able to see his "hah, you got hit" animation, and I think the "I'm watching you factor" would be nice :P

4. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    or you could replace Robotnik with EggRobo and have Robotnik watching from the sidelines

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Or there could just be a camera in the egg-o-matic pointed at Robotnik's face (aka, don't think too hard about it)

6. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Why wouldn't it make sense? I don't think he comes out after you hit the Final Zone boss, so him going via some sort of underground tunnel to behind the slot makes sense... And then leave him where he was in S2. Simple!

...unless you want him to run from the FZ boss into the Egg-Mech-thing, which is a dumb idea in my opinion

7. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    It's strange this hack wasn't made earlier. It's a pretty obvious idea.
    That said, it's ironic. I constantly die because I'm trying too hard not to die. The CNZ and LZ bosses don't usually give me any trouble.

8. Digital Xeron

Digital Xeron

[An error occurred while processing this custom ti Oldbie
    Unicomplex One, Canada
    Digibase Operations (TSZP)
    Perhaps if nothing can be decently ported, perhaps make a second edition that does S3K bosses onboard the S3K Death Egg and maybe leave the minibosses out to keep the boss count decent. (unless it's absolutely supposed to be brutal)

9. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

:v:

Savestates aren't cheating inherently. In a time attack they can be used, but that isn't the inherent purpose, and when running a save-less game on a very unstable computer, a real lifesaver IMO.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    But to use savestates in a competitive nature is to defeat the whole point of competition. Besides, in this particular game, Time Attack works in a specific way—it keeps your total amount of allotted time, including deaths. If you use savestates you're able to circumvent that particular setback of the gameplay, making your run invalid.

Savestates are useful for games that don't use SRAM, sure, but they are methods of cheating (in more than one way).

11. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Yeah, I'd definitely agree that savestates are cheating. I deliberately set the ranking times so that you don't need to use savestates to get a good rank. I also tried to cut down on the temptation to use them by giving the player infinite lives, and checkpoints and rings before each boss. Not that I'm particularly bothered if you do cheat - I'm not giving away prizes for S Ranks!

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Savestates? Definitely cheating; there's no real reason to use them, anyway; checkpoints mean that you're just lazy if you can't repeat a few hits.

My idea: Have you considered Sonic CD bosses? CD has a similar engine to S1, so it might be possible to port its bosses. Of course, that would require a disassembly...

Is there a Sonic CD disassembly?

13. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    I've just completed the Time Attack a third time. This one was fastest, with no deaths, but Final Zone took the longest, and my score was 10:23:20 (A).

Previous runs were 12:xx:xx (2 deaths in Labyrinth, one in Metropolis, and another on Wing Fortress), and
    11:3x:xx (two deaths on Metropolis).

I'm also charging up a spin dash as Eggman Mech is blowing up (Death Egg 2), so I cover that ground as fast as possible.

As for the Sonic 1 bosses, I knew going in the two games had different boss bounce physics, and so I knew they were going to be more along the lines of 'remix' fights than what you did back in 1991. All this means is you'll have to come up with new strategies (Spring Yard's gets a nice timesaver from your jump being slightly higher than in 1. Try it :3).

The only glitch I'm running into at this point is the Death Egg music not kicking in after a boss, as I'm busy beatin' feet to the next challenge.

I'm with the rest of the posters thinking maybe you should use some of those extra music slots for at least the appropriate tune, or maybe even ports of the zone themes when you reach each boss.

But hey, just a bit of input from someone who wants to see this hack be even more awesome than it already is. ;)

Edit: a 4th run took that time down to 9:02:50 (still an A. I'm guessing just off S?).

Edit 2: No death run, optimized strategies (mostly), 8:40:05! (S Rank, suckas! All realtime, too!) Also, a minor spelling fix.

14. Tiberious

Tiberious

I think this bug is worthy of a bump, so it will draw attention to the thread again.

Caution

The Final Zone bug from Sonic 1 HAS returned.

What is the Final Zone bug? Have Eggman in a bottom piston (easiest if he's on the right) and hit him early for the last time. As it retracts, you'll be able to hit him a 9th time, resetting his hitcount to 255. Here, though, you could actually take the time to do all 255 extra hits, but in Sonic 1, it was a life-ending glitch.

Although, if nothing else, it shows just how well you ported the bosses... heh.

15. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Hey, you're right! I'd never heard of that glitch before, and it's a pretty cool one too. I'm actually quite pleased that bug is in there because I was going for 100% accurate ports! ;) That reminds me of a bug in the Aquatic Ruin boss. If you jump onto an arrow and immediately run off it Sonic walks in the air until the arrow drops. I spent ages trying to fix that until I realised it was present in the original! Anyway, the Final Zone one is now on my list of bugs to fix if I do another release. Well spotted. Oh, and by the way, the jump height is the same between the two games so it's possible to use that trick on Spring Yard you mention in the first game too.

I've encountered the bug where the boss music keeps playing if you shoot off really quickly. I thought I'd fixed it, but it looks like it's back. There's also one graphical bug on my list that has me stumped, but nobody's mentioned it yet. The only other annoyance is a bit of flickering in some bosses (Spring Yard Zone and Final Zone are the main culprits), but I don't think I can do much about that. Other than that, it seems pretty reliable, so when I start work on it again I can concentrate on the good stuff - music, in other words!

16. D GET.

That was truly amazing.

17. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I have an idea...

Use the zone music the boss came from for each boss, DEZ for Silver Sonic, and don't change the music back to DEZ after beating each boss.

Now that that's said, I'm going to actually play the game.

Edit:
    Time Attack: 20 minutes 6 seconds rank D
    Survival: 4 bosses rank E

Yeah, I suck at playing Sonic these days, it's been literally years since I played a Genesis Sonic game for the purpose of playing it rather than testing hacks

Suggestions:
    - Use S1/S3&K style boss physics. The S2 boss physics is awfully cheap - especially in the CNZ boss where you can jump on Robotnik but pass straight through and hit the sparker and get hit, which is stupid.
    - Fix the spindash because in half or so of the boss rooms spindashing in the corner makes Sonic stay where he is (and yes, I am not facing towards the screen boundary >_>).
    - Fix the bouncing rings because they almost always fall off the screen or go off the top and never come back rather than bouncing properly.
    - Add S3&K actions (instashield and flight) mainly to beat the Metropolis boss easier (it is much easier in S3&K thanks to these).
    - Fix it so that if you roll into the tunnel out of DEZ, you automatically un-roll, otherwise you move painfully slowly until you stop and then you start running again.

18. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Thats always been apart of the sonic engine. No real need to fix that...

Why? so the boss requires no actual skill..?

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Awesome hack. I really wish I had your programming knowledge, but I'm useless with ASMs. ^.^;

20. Tiberious

Tiberious

Umm, would that be the one after Labyrinth's gauntlet? I've seen that, but not always in the same spot, and sometimes, not at all. I have seen it, though, but not reliably enough to report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.