don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Aw man, they stole the name I stole from them. ;___; *erases hack forever*

I absolutely hope that they don't screw this up. They're advertising it as a classic, so hopefully they know what they're doing with this. Needless to say, I can't wait to see more.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I've not thrown up the Sonic Cycle, so ignorance is out. I'd rather just tread carefully with this one as always. Sega's not one of those companies at the moment you can really take at face value, especially when throwing around nice sounding words to try and please the fanbase before pulling the rug out from under them. I'm not saying it'll necessarily happen now, but they've got a good track record of pulling it off.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    As you probably remember there have been several polls on Sonic's Facebook page, I wonder if they were aiming to this. If they did, we might expect Nack to be playable, or at least appearing, into this new game.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Well, just to be clear, I'm not calling you a filthy motherfucker or anything like that, quite the opposite. I'm just saying, if you're skeptical, it makes more sense to be skeptical about the quality (I.e. the big unknown) rather than their claims (I.e. the only things we do know).

5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Nack in Megamix Project Needlemouse

:|

On a more serious note, I'm wondering if the similarities between the S1 logo and this one, coupled with the interview, hints at SPA-esque interpetation of Sonic 1. That's certainly something I could get behind.

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I'm trying to remain calm about this, but my inner childhood is just jumping for joy right now. I'll try to stay cautious and reserved for this like I was for Unleashed, and that ended up being a terrific game. Not the best, but it was most definitely a wonderful step in the right direction.
    You know something, I was just speaking to a friend about the possibility of Nack returning in this one. I find it pretty neat that all this recent stuff that's been happening is starting to catch up and possibly take some form. I would not be against Nack popping up in this game, in fact it would be great seeing another classic rogue pop up again. Imagine if he ends up as a mini boss after Act 1 of each zone!

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Fair enough. I still look forward to first screens and, more importantly, video. I imagine that'll be when that little gremlin that jumped for joy at Sonic 3 and Knuckles will likely break out and I'll make an utter ass of myself.

But who cares, it'll be a 2D Sonic I can care about. Best case scenario, of course.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    But then isn't the solution to just excise these from the 3D titles? If you put these in a 2D title it wouldn't make them any better. These things you mention are not inherent to the fact that Sonic is in 2D nor is there anything preventing them from putting them in this game.

Now, if you want to go into the fact that they've been pretty much unable to create compelling levels that use that third dimension in clever ways or at least haven't tried to do so very much since SA2, then I'll agree with you there.

I really wish they'd shown more than a teaser though. Considering modern Sega's not been able to testify the fact that they know what made the classic Sonic titles what they were very well, I remain actually quite skeptical. I'd have liked to have seen more of what they've done so far, because what's little more than a photoshop filter of the Sonic 1 logo isn't reassuring my skepticism.

9. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    Haha... and the Sonic v. Mario Sega v. Nintendo wars still continue (a major 2D Mario was just announced at E3).

Hey... what if we get to collect the Chaos Emeralds properly and play as Super Sonic again?

10. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Hahahah, I thought it while going through this topic and here it is!

Anyways, on the subject of a new Sonic game.. Eh. I can't get excited just yet. Its not me "trying to be cool" or whatever excuse you wanna use because I'm not running with the pack. Thats my legitimate reaction. I loved Sonic up until Sonic Heroes and I loved Sonic Advance, but after that it was just burn after burn. Granted, I've not played Unleashed and can't comment, but I've played up to Sonic 06 and that was an absolutely fucking terrible experience. Only one I've really enjoyed since Heroes is Rush Adventure and that was only after I had to go back and replay it without going through story mode. Hell, way back when everyone was bitching about camera angles and stupid shit, I was just sitting back enjoying the games.

What I'm getting at is hey, if you can get all OH MY GOD HOLY FUCK then good for you. I can't even if I wanted to. Again, I'll wait till I can see something substantial before I start "jizzing in my pants".

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    So someone on NeoGAF of all places summed up my feelings on this announcement quite well:

Except for that "redemption" part, I feel like this to all the people around the net who are hating on the game (not directed at Gene, btw). I'm still skeptical about how it'll play. I mean, I was stoked for Black Knight, and that was one of the worst Sonic games I'd ever, EVER played. I'm actually a bit bummed to NOT see Sonic Team's logo at the beginning of the trailer, as the new Sonic Team has my respect after Sonic Unleashed. I thought they delivered magnificently.

Where as Dimps, who normally pumped out stellar Sonic games, completely failed with the Wii version. So I'll wait and see.

But as far as what they've told me, it's all been golden so far.

12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    This quote stands out to me:
    If this is true we will most likely get our pinball physics back, along with the Spin-Dash.

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.

...did you miss that?

Even if it's not as great as we hope, but is a step in the right direction (it's 2D, HD and got that classic flava. You bet your ass); sounds like it's going to be the start of a trend.

Anyone else scarily optimistic? No? Just me? :P

14. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I really wish they'd stop saying "Bringing back to his roots"

15. corneliab

corneliab

Seeing as how the folks making Unleashed specifically said that they were not trying to "go back to the roots", I don't know what you're rattling on about. Bitching for bitching's sake, maybe?

Anyway, this sounds neat. Hard to get excited over teasers, though...

16. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Until I see some actual game play footage I'll remain cautious about this. I hope to join you though in your optimism very soon, it's been so long since I've felt this excited about a Sonic game.

17. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Back to the roots, 2D Sonic... give me some cooperative gameplay, an I'll be excited. Drop the boost mechanic, or make it a bar you have to fill up to use, instead of being able to use it if even the tiniest sliver is there. Because it's pretty much a part of Sonic now... now they just have to put it to good(or better, to some) effect.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  19. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Except I'm not bitching at all :P
    I just don't like it when they say it because as Unleashed said... bringing him back to his roots may not be possible.

20. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    But ya know, in an odd way, I'm kind of sad that Sega got to this before the community could do Sonic 2: HD.

lol Retro vs. Sega wars?

Well, my fingers are crossed. I'm talking hopes for collecting the emeralds, classic super stuff, but most importantly... Item boxes that look like TVs, crazy environments with amazing soundtracks, and freaking lush and full, challenging levels. And I pray the physics work as well.

Please dear Sega, make this Sonic 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.