don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Are you seriously suggesting that transitioning a series that has failed in 3D back into 2D—you know, where the games actually flourished—is a bad thing? Because if so, you're fucking nuts. There are plenty of very successful 2D games still being released in this modern day and age which—more often than not, as I've noticed—tend to be far more entertaining and far better designed than most bland, uninspired 3D games coming out in this generation. The mere concept that games need to be 3D in a new generation to be enjoyable or otherwise "modern" is ludicrous, and I think it needs to be done away with as soon as possible.

Making a good game is all about the result and game experience—not the methods through which it's produced. 2D games can be fantastic and timeless if the formula is good enough; the same applies to any game with any number of dimensions. As far as I'm concerned, this is a step forward—a step back into the limelight that Sonic always flourished in.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So you're telling me I get to play the same game I played in 1991 and own multiple times in some form... but now they went and changed the graphics to "HD."

How anti-climactic if that's true.

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'd like to think they know at this point they can't be that cheap with us.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Who said this was Sonic 1 HD? I'm pretty sure this was explicitly stated to be a "brand new adventure," even if the logo is similar to the original in terms of shape and design.

5. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    I'm of the opinion that:
    *Genesis Sonic was good
    *Genesis Sonic was 2D
    *Sonic '06 was bad
    *Sonic '06 was 3D
    ...is a correlation fallacy. But whatever. I am terrible at forumwarz so I'm going to quit right now before I even try to start defending my premise.

But when 2010 rolls around, just remember: I called it.

6. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    No. It's sarcasm. I swear I'll get rich one day by marketing a sarcasm detector that works within web browsers.

7. InsaneSonikkuFan

InsaneSonikkuFan

master ninja Oldbie
    look if your hopes are low now then you win either way
    if it sucks you didn't get excited and you can move on like we do every time
    if it rocks well then you're happy to have lost that bet with god

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I'm not telling you that. I'm telling you what is known; that "Sonic the Hedgehog HD" looks likeliest doesn't mean that it's definitely going to be the case. It just looks likely.

All that is known really is that Sega promise a return to form, something the older Sonic gamers can enjoy.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    "Built from the ground up" and "a new 2d adventure" to me sounds like this is going to be a completely new game, I don't think they could have been any more specific than that.

I can't wait until a few days later when people start making all these mock up screens of this game and "HD" fan art. I guarantee deviantart and sheezyart will be exploding with it within the next few days.

10. HighCaliburFun

HighCaliburFun

I gotta juice! Member
    USA
    I am VERY excited for this, I miss the old school 2D games a LOT! :(

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't recall anyone of sound mind and credible opinion to have ever made any kind of association even remotely similar to this to try justify Sonic's failure in 3D.

The fact of the matter is this—yes, there have been some successful and enjoyable 3D outings in the Sonic franchise, but each of them are not enjoyable or timeless in the same way the originals were for very specific reasons. The idea behind a classic-esque Sonic game is to try and prove that Sonic can be just as enjoyable, just as timeless, and just as fucking awesome without all of the story-ridden bullshit, thousands of uninspired character designs, and dialogue. Sonic did not need any of this for years to be enjoyable, and it still doesn't no matter how people seem to think it does.

But... you know, it's nice to know that you're all up for expressing an opinion and not justifying it. If you can't back up what you say, then don't say it; your opinions are likely to be held in far higher regard that way.

Nothing about his initial post nor his reply seem to imply sarcasm, and I consider myself pretty adept at recognizing textual sarcasm. I've been wrong before, though, so...

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Anyone posting anything other than this is wrong. Fact, not opinion. :eng101:

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    "Built from the ground up" > "We coded it from scratch instead of ported it and applied a filter to make it look smoother"

"A new 2D adventure" > "New story, familiar locales"

I'd rather just wait until the first gameplay videos hit. If this is indeed a new adventure with new levels and not just a touched up remake with trivial extras, I'll be one happy camper. For now, I'll let the skepticism go out on a leash.

A 2D Unleashed style adventure would be utterly divine in my book, everyone else be damned.

14. Nik Jam

Nik Jam

The Man Oldbie
    East Bay, California
    Sonic Mode: Sounds of the Universe (But not really)
    Would be cool if it was treated as an arcade game, but I'll get it either way.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    This is the poorest stretch I've ever seen to try and put a negative spin on a very clear and explicit list of claims. It's bloody obvious that the game is going to have exactly what they said it did; why are you trying to act like this is some huge act of deception? It's very hard to go wrong with factual statements like those.

Granted, if they'd made another "back to the roots!" claim like in previous releases, you'd have a point, but this is pretty clear-cut right here.

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    This is awesome! I can't wait for this game to be released! Finally a decent sounding game that we can look forward to next year. ^^

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Just call it careful skepticism. It's usually best to approach things at this angle. I did for Unleashed and it turned out to be one of my most favorite games of all time.

...Not that the whole "I 100%'d this fucker in a five day rental on PS3 in the middle of midterms week in school" didn't make this obvious enough.

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I agree. The trailer was as clear cut as can be. And the interview was supposed to be there just in case. I can understand people being dismissive of the quality (although I fucking LOVED Sonic Unleashed) but to treat the announcement like an outright lie?

There's being jaded, and there's being purposefully ignorant.

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It was definitely sarcasm. It's just of a different blend than most sarcasm. It's borderline satire. The type of sarcasm meant to get people annoyed. It certainly wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.

20. Kick ass...When can we hack the engine and do a super-de-dooper-chocolate-vision-HD version of this one? It's the future format ya know! :3 Can't wait to see more come of this game either by the way. It's about bloody time they tried doing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.