don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The only stage that that's really the case is the one where you're supposed to get 55 of them. I think that's the fifth stage. That's less because TAILS IS A DICK and more because there are only like 70 rings in that part of the stage. :P

The last stage is really easy because it's quite easy to get enough rings for the last requirement by about 5/6 of the way through the second section. Then you just don't get hit.

Everything else is piss-easy but it does require some memorization. I played the fuck out of them in middle school though, so I learned where all the rings in each stage were; still trying to get a perfect on that very first one.

Seriously, it's only ever a problem if you can't grab enough rings on your own. If Tails is grabbing a lot of the rings you should practice more. Incidentally the hard stage is one of the ones you play in the 2P Special Stage set.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Also, I think knuckles also needs less rings for the S2 stages...

As for this game, I hope Sega does something really abstract, like in Sonic 1-3K, but not just copy the S2 stages again.

Sonic 3D, Heroes, and Rush all were just different takes on the S2 special stages.

3. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    On the topic of Special Stages, 1 and 3 were awesome, I can actually accomplish those with enough ease. 2 is kinda hard for me, but I don't ever practice so there, but otherwise it's pretty decent. 3D Blast (Genesis) had a simple enough special stage, like Sonic 2 but less half pipe. I have not played 3D Blast (Saturn) but it looks awesometastic so I'll give it props.

Nothing after those games really had a special stage I'd recognize as a special stage that I would like. Exception goes to Sonic Rush, the special stages to which I found pretty doable except that seventh one god damn it why can't I beat it?

tl;dr:
    No more halfpipe, it's tired out. Go with either a re-creation of Sonic CD's special stage, that could benefit from full 3D controls, or go with something trippy based off Sonic 1's special stage - that old bastard could do with a resurrection.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Using the power character and boosting the hell out of them was the real secret to getting the emeralds....FAST.

I think the reason Sonic 2 style special stages never went out of style because the shock factor of "OMG I'm RUNNING 3RD PERSON VIEW BEHIND SONIC IN 3D IN A TUUUUBE!!!!" just didn't go away. It was a complete step up from Sonic 1 and while Sonic 3's was almost as innovative....it just didn't garner the same respect. I watched a friend go through all the special stages playing with Sonic Only (something I never even thought up to really do because I am one of the few who still fell for the "YAY TAILZ IS FOLLOWING ME AND HELPING TO BEAT UP ROBOTNIK YAY" gimmick even 10+ years later. It's only really because I felt naked and vulnerable without him taking up the rear and his glourius infinite lives were always amusing.

Something else came to mind as well. How easy was it to even access the Special Stages in Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3K, and Heroes compared to say.....SONIC ADVANCE (1,2,3). I've played through the advance games up and down (never beat them but played around a bit when I was in high school) and I just plain gave up on trying to find each of those little shit wing-rings. If Heroes was like that, I probably would have never beated the damn game. I'm not experienced with Rush's systems.....I hope they aren't as suicide prone.

Well, technically speaking.....S&K did sorta bring it back....but as a bonus stage instead. But at least it was much faster that time! I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic CD-ish revival.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    This just gave me the biggest eargasm. If they are stupid enough to give this game 8-bit sounding music, it should only be done by Matt Wilson!

<a href="http://8bitcollective.com/music/MattWilson/Emerald+Hill+Zone/" target="_blank">http://8bitcollective.com/music/MattWilson...rald+Hill+Zone/</a>

Hell all of his music is good. They should contract him to make the music for this game. He knows how to put emotion in his music without going overboard.

As far as Emerald Hill goes (as well as Chemical Plant) this is a song I felt was impossible to remix/alter.....but this man did it, and I came.

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I can't see SEGA using 8 bit chiptunes for this game; however, that was very enjoyable. :)

7. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just lovely. I wish they made a game like that for the iPod Touch.

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

That gives me a thought. I really do hope they have Richard Jacques or Sonic CD JP Style music.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    That 8-bit ghz was quite good, a shame most devices do not carry such an awesome 8 bit sound chip to actually make that kind of music in real time though.

11. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

From someone that spent hours and hours on those special stages because they were so enjoyable, I agree with this. They were a bit too easy though, weren't they?

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome... That's certainly old-school Sonic at its best.

Seeing him nod at the camera and doing those acrobatics after stepping on a spring, all without being constantly YEAH ALL RIGHT YEAH YEAH ALL RIGHT made me remember how Sonic seemed much cooler and kinda cute at the same time, when he was silent (more "timeless" if you will, since it didn't annoy the grown-ups with his current unremarkable lines). Might be that the lack of depth in his personality made the player more identified with the character, somewhat like always-silent-Link in the Zelda series.

And speaking of this... I hadn't thought about this before, but an option to turn the voices off would have made games like Sonic Rush or its sequel much more enjoyable. Is there any way those can be hacked away? It would help making the tricks and boss battles feel less like a chore.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ice - seeing as a DS ROM is basically a compressed file system... Sure, easy enough if you just put in blank files where the voice clips are. All you'd need is knowledge of the sound format the files are in. Oh, and how to re-checksum a DS ROM =P

14. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Not a hard thing to do, really. =P

Edit: damn wireless keyboard. >=(

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I'd say it's more the fact that the player can imagine the personality at his will, rather than thinking that he is the character itself.

16. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I hope that for this game Sonic runs using his classical form and not putting her arms backwards when it reaches high speeds, as we see in every game now....

17. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member

Your asking an AWFUL lot of Sega right there, im more concerned about the way it plays vs how he looks when he runs

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    'Sides, he looks cooler when he has his arms behind him instead of a centimeter above his feet when he has his feet go round'n'round'n'round.

19. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Oh so Sonic is a girl too now, just like Tails?

20. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Sonic started putting his arms behind him when he ran in Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Jam, so technically it's classic. Plus, I don't have a problem with how Sonic runs, it's HOW we control him that you should be worrying about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.