don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Sonic 3D Blast, Jam, Fighters, etc. were more of borderlines between the new Gen Sonic and the Classic Sonic.

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I'm just saying, but you're also correct.

The only way I can see SEGA being able to bring back Sonic's classic running would be if they did everything with hand drawn HD graphics, I can't see it working in 3D, but then again Brawl was able to show it off nicely, even though it was more of a mix of the super peel out and his "SA era" running.

Honestly though, people shouldn't worry over minor details like this. Animation is one thing, but how the game plays is another, and should be the primary concern.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sonic 3D never had separate animations for slow and fast running...

4. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Hell, Sonic 3D never had fast running.

5. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yeah Sonic 3D still had him swinging his arms around, as was in NiGHTs and Sonic R. Sonic Jam, arms to the back however.

6. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I was referring to his 3d model in the Special Stages of Sonic 3D Blast in the Saturn/PC version.

7. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I hate how Sonic runs with his arms at his sides now, he looks like a fucking chicken. "BugagughgubuGACK". Or one of those douchey anime characters who run low to the ground with their head jutting out two feet every time their foot makes contact, and they're all low to the ground and shit. The classic animation was a little more tolerable since it looked like his arms were ready to shoot out in front of him in case he had to roll or dive or something like that.

What I would like to see (and it can be exaggerated, of course) is Sonic running like those sprinters at the olympics. Teeth grit, occasionally hearing him huffing along, his eyes wide and alert, pupils contracted, his body twisting as he pumps his arms and his feet hit the ground, and his feet moving at the speed 762 mph requires. Seriously, only Sonic Unleashed made the movement of his feet (well, at top speed anyway) believable. But he definitely needs to pump those arms of his, or else he looks like some wind-up toy. It would also be cool if he did some warm-up like animations, like drawing letters on the ground by hopping on one foot or jumping three times and bringing your knees up and taking them back down as fast as possible.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    If this is going to be a new "classic sonic" game, then surely he should run like "classic sonic", right?

And warm up animations? No thank you, Sonic Advance 2.

9. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    "Douchey anime characters"? I'll tell Inu Yasha you said that. =P

Anyway, Sonic CD got it right. Arms at sides at when running, arms behind when Dashing (Super Peel Out).

If Sonic pumps his arms when running, then he logically has to pump them as fast as his feet are moving. At the speeds Sonic runs at, this would be ridiculous. Sonic Heroes did this, and it looked totally retarded.

10. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I think SEGA means "classic" in gameplay principles, not arbitrary purism. I wouldn't mind if he ran like classic Sonic, though. And Sonic Advance 2's warmup animations for Sonic sucked. He was stretching, and you stretch after you exercise, otherwise your muscles aren't warm and they lose their elasticity, and then you end up injuring yourself.

That's because it didn't look controlled. It looked more like flailing. If you've watched Pixar's "The Incredibles", look at how Dash ran in that one scene. His arms are pumping along with his legs, it looks just right. Sonic Team should be inspired by that.

11. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yeah, when he hits those red barrier things that give them speed or running down a slope, he runs like that, though in any other place he runs normally, arnms swinging.

I don't mind the warm-up iddle animation of Unelashed though.

I had never noticed that Sonic 3D had different ring noises for outside and inside a tunnel on the special stage. They reverb there. Well, you learn something new everyday.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The PC version uses the Genesis sprites. The stage itself is in 3D, but that's it.

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I'm in for a SPA HD!

In fact, I would like this game even if it was a version of SPA for home consoles.

And yes, original Sonic's running animation, please. I aways wanted by feet would turn into a circle while running fast when I was a child.

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I don't get why some people hate Sonic's SA-style running animation. It fits him to me, and rather nicely too. Besides, I haven't seen anybody think of a better way for him to look in 3D behind the back. Sure, there are anime characters that do it too, but it's not a bad thing.

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    This. In fact, this should have been obvious when they said that it is going to be HD. Although then again, some people here thought that 2D meant using sprites. I doubt that's going to be the case as well, and I wouldn't mind 3D models to be honest. I just want the gameplay back because that's the only thing that matters and I think that we all agree in that, right?

...I wonder how will the achievements be. Because Microsoft and Sony require games to have them, which is why the XBLA rereleases of the old games have so shitty achievements (if given the option, Sega wouldn't have included them probably).

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    It doesn't. EVERYTHING reverbs in the tunnels, shy of the redbook audio.

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

So that game is more well programmed than I orignally though, or at least the special stages are. Thanks for the info, it sure filled my trivia thirst for awhile.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I can't say I ever felt that sonic running with his fists out looked *that* great either. Most of the time it's okay but it definitely doesn't look good in 3D -- just watch the last bit of Sonic in Sky Sanctuary as evidence to that fact.

19. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I just checked and actually they don't look that bad... It's like the artist made it so that it looked like the hands are a bit in front of the body actually. Same deal with the Sonic CD Special Stages.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    The Saturn 3D Blast Special Stage was one of my favorites, with Blue Sphere in a close second. If they could find a way to splice the two together in one Special Stage made of awesome, I'd be so stoked. Say you collect a line of rings, avoid some red spheres or bombs, collect a line of blue spheres, and then the next set of red spheres turns into rings. If you missed a blue sphere, the red ones stay the same and you could lose rings.

Or if we took another route: Use Tails and Knuckles to enter Special Stages again, and have Tails's be similar to Sonic 3D, and Knuckles's be similar to Blue Sphere. So you've got two different Special Stages and you could alternate, or play all of one set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.