don't click here

New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. It’s been a bit, so I’m wondering; have we got any updates on the GCZ scans yet?

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Someone will have to check in with Frank. It sounded like some stuff was scanned but not released yet, but that may be because there are plans to scan the remaining images, and contact with Tom has been reestablished to help that move along, ensuring we get as much as reasonably possible this time.

I too am hoping for an update and that whatever is uncovered won't be held back from us for too long, given that we apparently should've had scans of these 4 years ago.

However, it's seems now a matter of when, not if.

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    Wait what? I didn't even have time to dress myself appropriately for this moment!

5. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    BOOM

upload_2023-4-15_19-17-14.png

• Informative Informative x 15
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  6. Excuse me WTF...

7. Wait… is that WATER?

…and that’s Act 3???

8. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    W A T E R

9. Wait, was Sonic 2 meant to have cutscene between stages just like Sonic 3?! Like I knew Hidden Palace (S2) was meant to have something like that, but Cyber City / Genocide City?!
    [​IMG]

10. Pengi

Pengi

Maybe it was something like the cut-scene at the end of Scrap Brain Zone Act 2?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too.

I’m also curious if the intention behind GCZ3 was to have the zone appear to be the final zone, only for Death Egg to be next…

As a side note, I wouldn’t call this the original layout image; it’s probably built using an actual layout image (or array?) from dev, and then had the chunk definitions from the previously discovered chunk list placed in.

12. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Hi, opposite actually, we converted the chunks to a tile map and arranged them programmatically, then I copy-pasted the drawings from Yasuhara's design into it. Working on the rest now, just wanted a sneak preview during our charity stream, will put it all online as promised.

• Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Endlessly in awe of you and your teams trailblazing work in preserving video game history and presenting important context for all, for free. For anyone unfamiliar, please check out the Video Game History Foundation's website, their fantastic podcast, and consider donating to them through either this TheCompletionist charity event or directly to their 501(c)3 non-profit organization (Tax deductible!). Thank you so much Frank, I eagerly await whatever else you may have to offer!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Can we just appreciate not just the devotion of those finally managing to unearth the documents of long lost assets of Sonic 2, but that the developers had enough sentimentality to their work to actually keep all these documents in the first place. Really shows how beloved these games are by both the fans and creators.

The use of water is the most unexpected asset of the map (how does water work in a CYBERNETIC stage filled with electricity, unless it's maybe oil or Mega Mac?). I'm also intrigued by the verticality and size of the map, seems almost S3K scope.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Thanks for this. I look forward to whatever else you finally unveil. Hopefully more tiles/visuals that we can continue toying with for years to come.

I would guess water could be seen as a kind of coolant system. Technically, my powerhouse video rendering PC has water in it, afterall.

16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    It doesn't even resemble Metropolis Act 3 in any way. And water!?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Funnily enough, this sounds a concept a ROM hack would do.

18. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Well. I guess now we know where the gravity switching in DEZ in Sonic 3 came from.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    YOOOOOOOOO. IT'S THE OLD HOAX MOCK UP! Crazy to see this in crystal clear pixels here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List