don't click here

My Sonic 2 Hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Neo Majin, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    You have the 128 collision for that tile set to L/R/B solidity then (Left, Right and Bottom). You either need to edit that to Top Solid or All solid.

2. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, there are. I found some, but I'm too lazy to capture an image from my megadrive right now. :P

3. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    They're right at then end of act 1(?). It's that "bottomless pit" part. You could fall forever if it weren't for the slopes. Tails seems to be able to take those slopes on though... Maybe it's a certain angle he bugs on. But I doubt it, angle seems like it would have no effect.

4. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    If you're trying to reproduce the bug, I ran up and down the slope several times before taking the screenshot... (trying to get a good pose that would show I had solidity working)

5. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Copy-pasted from the SSRG Forum.

6. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    To try to entice you into anwsering my question earlier, here's a screenshot from my newest zone- Amazing Arena from Knuckles Chaotix. It's replacing Metropolis 1/2...

Attached Files:

7. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I. Love. You.

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Awesome. I'm not the only person to do it.
    Majin, you're getting the tiles and mappings from savestates, correct?

9. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Not the tiles, for those I used the Nemesis Searcher on a Chaotix ROM... (One of the reasons I went with Amazing Arena is that it and Speed Slider are the only levels whose graphics I recognized)
    But the mappings yes.

I'm having alot of pallete problems right now, thanks to the fact that the rings use the second pallete row (I wonder... maybe I could tweak the first pallete row and the ring GFX to allow rings to be used on that row... Would solve alot of problems.)

10. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    This is looking great so far. Keep up the good work!

11. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Let's see, no screenshots this time, but I can update a bit...

WFZ is being replaced with a new level based on Flying Battery graphics (I'm going to edit them around, though) I'm keeping the "Tails's plane gets shot down" intro, though I might get rid of it since Sky Chase Zone has had Tails's plane wiped out (Related Question: How can I put Tails in SCZ, and take him out of CPZ?).

As for Amazing Arena, the graphics are in, but I have to write a new collision index for it. The rings don't look perfect, but they look pretty good, they're still gold...

Some other zones I haven't shown for the reason their graphics aren't done a Mecha Emerald Hill, Greenhouse Zone, which uses tiles based on Sonic CD, and Quartz Quadrant (my favorite SCD zone).

12. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Yes, rings are the problem that I had when porting levels from Chaotix. I messed up the HUD a little, but that was due to a mess up on my part. As for the collision. You know, I've never been able to completely get the knack of collision editing! Anything but slopes I've been able to do, but once I get to slopes, I'm not good at all. Amazing Arena isn't very big on the sloping scene, so it's a great level to port, huh? Perfect choice.

Sorry I can't help with the Tails putting and removing.

ZOMG Quartz Quadrant.

I don't usually, but I'll keep an eye out for (and even play) this hack!

13. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Alright, so I decided to draw some graphics for this hack, and came up with this idea.

Basically, you have a city (not a large one like you often see in Sonic, though), with buildings and the like, but at some points you can fall down into the city's sewers, which would be underwater. Something like Aquatic Ruin, I guess, where you can beat the level without going into the water but have to be careful with your jumps.

14. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Greenhouse Zone.

15. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    Ooh. This looks to be promising. :D

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Indeed.

Majin, I'll walk you through porting that music into the ROM over AIM later. This is certainly worthy of my services. =P

17. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Woah.

This hack owns.

18. Dragonsbrethren

Dragonsbrethren

Looks great so far, can't wait to play it.

19. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Well, to prove I've done something in this, here's Amazing Arena. The background will be a massive pain, because Knuckles Chaotix (and Crackers) uses an entirely different set of tiles for the BG.

Attached Files:

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Awesome.

(nuff said)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.