I want to get into coding, but don't really know much

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by segamaniac, Jul 15, 2022.

1. segamaniac

segamaniac

Oh chili dogs! Member
    Clownacy's Mega Drive/Genesis emulator sparked my want for coding again, but how do I get good, and where would I start? I'm an extreme noob, the only thing I really got nailed down is building code, don't think I'd be much help if that's what I can only really do. I'd like to have coding skills so I could possibly help with other open source projects, make my own possibly too, with an aim on community tools for various game engines. I fear I might never get to be able to achieve this in my lifetime since it's something I'd really like to learn to do, but I may never get to do so because I might never be good.

2. Devon

Devon

I am CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!!!! Tech Member
    IMO, it depends on what exactly it is you're wanting to do, but at the same time, it's all generally based on the same concepts and logic. You could look up on getting started with something like Python, Java, or whatever as a sort of sandbox for learning how program flow and logic works in programming, and then branching out from there. I personally learned to program using Game Maker 8, way back before Game Maker Studio was a thing. I found GML to be decently easy enough to learn as a newbie, and found it more rewarding to get stuff drawn on a screen rather than stuff written in a terminal. I'm not too sure about options today, though, since I'm past that stuff now, but there's probably something out there. In the end, I think it's best to start off experimenting with something relatively easy, even better if the environment suits what you're interested in learning.

There's all kinds of different platforms, languages, engines, APIs, etc. etc. to mess around with. You did mention wanting to make tools for various game engines, but what kind of game engines are we talking about? What kinds of tools?

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    100% agreed with Ralakimus. If you've never done any programming before, I'd recommend starting with Python - the syntax is easy to understand and getting stuff working takes no time at all. It'll give you the basics of how the logic works without worrying too much about the implementation.

From there you can move on to a real language. :V

But yeah, in terms of what language to actually use for a project, it depends entirely on the project. If you're only looking into making something, C# gives you a lot of flexibility plus easy connection with Mono or Godot or Unity. It's also good for UI if you're making things like level editors. Meanwhile if you want to mess with the internals of an engine you're looking at whatever the engine is coded in (which is more likely to be C++). And then if you're interfacing with the web or other devices, or you want portability, your options will change again.