don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, and CD Remake Decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jubbalub, Jan 18, 2021.

1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Fantastic, hopefully 2 gets the same treatment.

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Hey, figured I'd ask here. I have the decompilation on my PC, but for some reason I get weird stutters here and there for no reason. I obviously know my computer can run it easily. Is there some background thing that could be messing with it? Or did something mess up when it got recompiled to my PC. If needed, I'll post what the folder for both looks like.

EDIT: I was running off the initial exe from like January. I'll try this new one and if I get the same problem, I'll report back. My bad.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  3. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    While I don't think the Mania Tails sprite looks like "shit", it is incongruous with the rest of the original game's artwork. I also don't like all the Sonic the Hedgehog Forever branding, and eye shines added to Sonic's eyes everywhere. This clashes with the original art style of the first game. Also not a huge fan of the new sprites inserted into the menus and so forth. Hoping it grows into something a little more refined.

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    100 percent agree. I should have been more specific, I didn't mean Manias sprites were shit. I meant those edited ones to look like classic sprites do. You said it way better than I did.

5. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I just grabbed all three of these today and played through Sonic 1 and 2 as Sonic.

On Sonic CD I'm having issues with fullscreen where I just get about a 1/3rd size screen in the bottom left corner. I tried playing around with the config settings but can only stretch the width, not the height. If i try switching the window size to 3, it gets bigger but then the bottom half of the game is below the bottom of the screen where you cant see it. Size 4 just gave me a black screen, and size 1 was tiny. So I really dont know what to do other than play it windowed at size 2 with no stretching.

With Sonic 1 and 2 it was different. I just changed fullscreen to true and the size was perfect.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  6. REPO Man

REPO Man

Any possibility of a PlayStation Classic port? I heard there was a Genesis Mini port and these games would be perfect for the modded PSCs I'm getting my nieces and nephews as a (late) Christmas present.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    So I've recently gotten into the modding scene for these, mostly because I thought that Sonic CD would be perfect for a randomizer, and there's no way I'm digging through the nightmare that is the Mega CD or PC versions of the game. So, I made one for both the Steam and decompiled versions.
    [​IMG]
    So then I decided that since there was a library to handle the data formats for these games, and I already had SonLVL's API, I would make a tool to do a basic conversion from MD to RSDK v3 (CD), v4 (S1/S2), and v5 (Mania). After many failed iterations (and RDC rewriting the library for RSDK formats) I finally got something that works:
    [​IMG]
    Then, I noticed that the only existing level editor for these games is rather broken, and while a replacement is being worked on, it wouldn't be done for another couple months. So I decided to fork SonLVL and make it work with RSDK v3/v4 levels, which I've just finished:
    [​IMG]
    I also made a tool to convert levels between RSDK v3, v4, and v5:
    [​IMG]

8. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    Hello. I've been gone from this place for quite a bit, but I was wondering if there was a basic tutorial for modding the music for the Sonic CD de-compilation? I'd love to make a music mod, but I have no clue how I'd go about it.

9. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  10. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Just grabbed the Wii U Mania port (v0.4). Any ideas as to what's causing the special stage to slow down so horrendously? Once that's taken care of, it'll be perfect.

11. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    The game is software-rendered, including the 3D stuff. Apparently the Switch port uses simplified models in the special stages to reduce the strain on the CPU, so maybe using the Switch version's 'Data.rsdk' file would help, if you have it.

12. Does the Switch version really use simplified models? Doesn't make much sense given how low-poly the models were to begin with.

13. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    v0.5 has been released, fixing crashes and adding support for more controllers: now you can play the game with the Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Remote & Nunchuk, and the Wii Remote (sideways).

The game uses software rendering: CPUs are less capable of rendering graphics than GPUs, so those even-lower-poly models really are the best that the hardware can do.

14. Tiberious

Tiberious

Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance? Once it's packed into an installable, it works just like any actual port would, and outside of this one issue, it's exactly what we'd all hoped would happen officially on the console.

15. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    The most direct solution that I can think of is migrating the game to hardware rendering, like was done with the Sonic CD decompilation (if I remember correctly). Alternatively, the software renderer could be optimised, but I don't know if that would be enough to get it all running at full speed.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Sonic CD on mobile used a hardware renderer because phones of the time generally weren't powerful enough to run the software renderer at full speed, and the decomp implements both for the sake of completeness. By 2013, phones were generally good enough to run the software renderer, so they dropped it for RSDKv4 and v5.

17. Tiberious

Tiberious

So that means nothing in Mania can be handed off to hardware without an absolute shit-ton of work? Wow. That's damn near a regression, honestly. Imagine being able to offload everything about the graphics to hardware... wonder what cool things someone could do then, huh?

A damn shame, 'cause I really hoped to see it reach the level of polish an official port would have.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

Is it not possible to write a hardware renderer with a little work? The software renderer code would need to be migrated — or maybe just the most expensive parts.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It's absolutely possible, some people have already been working on it.

20. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    I don't know the first thing about programming graphics beyond printing Ascii art to stdout or writing raw pixel data to a ascii-format portable pixelmap, but is there some obscure advantage to a software renderer given enough CPU to run it properly?