General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It's basically just a widescreen resolution. In other words, exactly what every Sonic fangame should be doing because widescreen resolutions on Genesis-styled Sonic games are awesome.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Sonic 4 HUD? Are there going to be speed boosters littered everywhere?

Good job though, I like the artwork.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Overbound: What I love is that feeling of Tidal Tempest Zone mixed in with Hydrocity Zone, that I'm getting from your design right now, and it's pleasing to feel that =)

Blaze: I like what I see, full of contrast, colour and brightness, gives it a sunny feeling that you'd come to expect from a tropical cliché Sonic level, nice work there!

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Some people still play on 4:3 monitors =| I know, there's letterboxing, but I'm pretty sure that people making fangames hardcode the resolutions instead of making their games adapt to whatever resolution the user chooses.

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Last one:

[​IMG]

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I love the widescreen shot Blaze.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The glowing bombs that the Crabmeat has just launched... they really bug me. In lots of fan games you such art clashes all the time. 16bit sprites (or 16bit style at least) with random graphical effects like that. They would honestly look better with a quick palette swap.

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I don't really see how it clashes. They flash red and yellow anyway, even without the additional effects.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's the glowing effect. Those single bombs and the aobjects that surround them look completely different to everything else with their perfect gradients.

10. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Thanks I defiantly had both those levels in mind when I made this. However the level design is more of a mix between Labyrinth and Tidal Tempest so I guess it gets a little bit from everywhere.

Blaze the red fire balls look fine. When the effect is in motion it will good especially if you use similar effects on rings and explosions.

[​IMG]

Time Twisted does both you can play at 320x240 4:3 or 426x240 16:9. You choose upon startup, 426x240 is a bit slower due to more objects being on screen and thus active.

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    OK, although uh, I hope there's fullscreen and it stretches up (e.g. scale 2x to use 640x480 or something similar). I wouldn't like playing in a small window =P Also you forget 384x240 (8:5 aka 16:10), since that ratio is quite popular for monitors.

12. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Of course F4 puts it into full screen. Do you think it should start out in full screen? I've always heard that is a no-no.

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    To be fair, I must be the only player in the world ever that wants to play in fullscreen these days. Everybody seems to think that the smaller the window, the better =/ But please tell me that going fullscreen actually stretches the screen rather than just center it, otherwise it's pointless (and if there's a border, make it black so it can't interfere with extra light).

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I played it fullscreen the other day. It uses your current screen resolution (1152x864 in my case).

15. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Yeah that's true nineko I guess I stated it wrong. When it plays in full screen it goes it matches your resolution as best it can without changing the aspect ratio. However at least on my computers it stretches with perfect clarity no fuzziness or anything. So it may as well be 320x240 in fullscreen. Also worth noting I suppose that in the demo I gave you nineko you don't have the option for 16:9. I probably won't do a 16:10 since as I said its will never lose its aspect ratio there will only a small letterbox and it should look nice still. I like fullscreen too Sik I don't know why anyone would want to play on in a tiny window. They must have all been playing their Sega Genesises on 13 in screens I guess.

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Once there was an argument about that here and the reply was that it allows to cram more stuff into the same region, thereby allowing the brain to focus on more things at the same time. The issue is, the brain "compensates" for it and focuses into a smaller region instead, so the end result is that you get no benefit but instead you get extra annoyance.

That said, there's also the argument of multiple monitors, as the game may try to capture all user input and freak if you try to alt+tab to windows on other monitors (e.g. it may try to minimize when it doesn't need to). It really depends on the program being able to handle several monitors in fullscreen properly, though.

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That's ok, 4:3 is superior anyway.

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I always play in fullscreen. And if the game doesn't have fullscreen, then I rage D:

Seriously though, it's quite uncomfortable playing in a window. I don't understand how anyone could play something windowed (unless it's a GUIish game, like simcity or something), but apparently lots of people do.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I prefer games in a window, unless the native resolution is big. Full screen should never be forced. Yes it's sometimes easier to see things when the screen is bigger, but I have 23 inches of screen so for me it would be either pixelated or heavily filtered and neither looks great.

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    How so?

Agreed. If I at least have some way to enlarge it, then it's not so bad, but when I don't have that option, I'm likely to refuse to even play a fangame. >_> However, if full screen mode makes it all blurry, then that's a thousand times worse than playing it in window mode. Also, unless something's resolution is as small as the GBA, I <3 playing really pixelated games on my 23" monitor in complete full screen mode.