don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Did... Did you just rip off my caterkiller boss?

You sly devil you!

Nah, it looks great though, and I appreciate the health bar~

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Like I said over at SSRG, awesome work Painto! And I love that you've included a health bar too. I'll dub this hack "Sonic: Attack of the Giant Badniks". :v:

3. ThomasSpeedrunner

ThomasSpeedrunner

resident lowercaser Member
    the void between universes.
    not really any specific hack...too many to list.
    So many giant badniks :O

This is amazing. Are these going to have their own special attacks based on what badnik they're based from?

Also, I can tell Robuttnik is gonna be an asshole, as per the usual with hacks that make new bosses.

Awesome work overall, dude. My only complaint is the antennae on the Caterkiller, which seem a bit flat with that outline.

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Here's a teaser shot for the contest (the game has been ready since April and couldn't hold it much longer). I wonder what this game will be all about?

[​IMG]

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm thinking some kind of NSMB esq co op mode. Looks cool though.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Sonic VS? Consider me interested.

7. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm going to translate this game (Final Fantasy II). I am using the Japanese Famicom ROM as a base, not the Demiforce or prototype ROMs. So far I've done basic menu text, but before I do anymore I'm also writing a tool that will handle the text editing & repointing. The script will be heavily based off the GBA translation (and I'll look at the PS1 translation as well). While I'm not fluent in Japanese, I can read hiragana and katakana (I spent the first five years of my life in Japan) which helps with finding out what text content Square added in their translations that weren't in the original. I was inspired to do this by the Final Fantasy Restored patch, which made me think it would be nice to have a properly translated NES version of FF2 with the modern spell & item names included.

8. vladikcomper

vladikcomper

Tech Member
    Sonic Warped
    So, I decided to get back in the business just to bring you a little project of mine.

[​IMG]

LOOK! SOMEONE'S UP FOR NO GOOD IN A MINUTE!

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The twist here presumably is that you're playing as Robotnik *shot*

10. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Since I made so many goddamn posts in the Basic Questions & Answers thread, I figured I should post something here just to show that I'm not completely incompetent, only mostly :v:
    [​IMG]

Modified Sonic 2 sprites, using S1's pallet. Not shown are the peel-out sprites and the running sprites (which use S2Final's head but S2Beta's swirly leg running animation). Other than one of the diagonal peel-out tiles overwriting the first tile of the 100 points object that comes out of enemies, these fit quite comfortably into VRAM (partially because instead of just using S2's mappings and DPLCs, I went back and optimized them to avoid empty tiles).

[​IMG]

Red star rings! I haven't quite gotten these in-game yet due to VRAM space, though. I'm working on making the shield and invincibility share a graphics file and use DPLCs to free up some room (and the red star ring itself uses DPLCs, so it only needs $10 tiles as opposed to room for all of them). Ignore the sparkle on the left, I just made a huge sprite with all the frames in it to show off how things look.

One last thing...
    [​IMG]

I think I broke something :v: (I've already fixed this, it was a bug in the peel-out animation script that caused Sonic's tiles and eventually garbage data to overwrite other stuff in VRAM, but it scared me and made me laugh harder than it probably should have)

11. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    I may have a suggestion for you. Since you are editing the sprites AND mappings, you can re-arrange the tiles to create more empty tiles and then not loading them. Nothing can be done in that exact sprite that you are showing now, but at least in S1 sprites there is a lot of VRAM that could be saved like this. Here's an example:
    [​IMG]

At left, the original sprite. There are 7 blank tiles that won't be loaded. I couldmove the entire sprite 3 pixels to left, and I would save 2 more in the top half sprite, but I would be loosing 3 in the bottom half, so this would be dumb to do as I would end with 6 blank tiles instead of 7. But if I break the sprite in several parts like in the right picture, I can generate 11 blank tiles, which translates in 4 less tiles that will be loaded compared to the original one. Since you're editing mappings, they will take care of making the sprite look just how it has to. I started doing this after saturating VRAM with other custom sprites, then I've got sort of obsessed with reducing tiles.
    Watch out, however, because I think there's a limit of pieces that can be called, I broke one sprite the other day when loading 7 pieces, and magicaly it solved when I duplicated some tiles in the .bin file to call 5 pieces instead of 7.

12. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    That's a good point, and one I hadn't really thought of. I'm going to keep that in mind, thanks. :)

On that note:

[​IMG]

This is so stupidly minor and not even close to working properly yet, but I feel ridiculously accomplished. I've set up the red star ring graphics to use DPLCs and made a quick attempt at creating the object itself. I don't actually know if the object itself is working correctly, because it doesn't appear (not sure if that's me trying to render it improperly or something else), but the graphics are loading semi-properly. You can't tell since it's a static screenshot, but they are loading on a frame-by-frame basis.

So, next steps:

1) Free up VRAM space so that the graphics can be loaded without overwriting things (as mentioned, I'm going to make the shield and invincibility stars use DPLCs, but that's a headache I'm not ready to get into tonight)
    2) Fix Address Error at end of act (I think I know what I can do to fix this, though) I used a bad RAM address for the star ring counter, oops
    3) Fix ring DPLCs - as you can kinda see in the screenshot, the "side view" frame is loading one tile more than necessary, and I'm pretty sure one of the angle frames is broken too
    4) Figure out why the object itself doesn't appear/load
    5) Test everything to make sure I didn't screw something else up when shifting things around for this

Yeah, something minor and not particularly noteworthy (especially seeing as this is the buggy, unfinished phase), but considering that fiddling with object drawing and such is basically an entirely new field for me even beyond ASM in general, I'm pleased that this is showing progress already. :)

13. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
    While on the subject of objects:
    [​IMG]

This little fucker took me several days to program (partially because of laziness). I had to even use 3 subobjects and a lot of weird code to make it work as intended, and even then its not a complicated object. All I need to add is sound effects... Still kinda afraid to see what happens with bunch of these onscreen at once

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Neat concept, but any chance of getting a pic that's not blurry? :x

Nice to see a turret, though!

15. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
    odd, no idea why the image was so blurry. I updated the pic with less blurry one (hopefully). Thank you!

EDIT: It has kind of worked, although VDP doesn't quite like the amount of sprites onscreen, nonetheless doesnt cause any issues.
    [​IMG]

16. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    No technical C&C here, just going to suggest- if you're going for a more Sonic CD feel, try removing the highlight dot on Sonic's head. You know, the shiny one to the side of his eye.

17. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I've always hated that shiny spot on the Sonic 2 sprites.

18. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I thought this would be fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSxC9fUxcI

19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That looks like a fun gimmick. :)

I'm more interested in seeing the rest of that level though. :v: Loving how Chaotix style it is, and with so much foreground animation too!

20. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Markey why are you not making huge monies from original games AAAARGH YOU'RE TOO GOOD.

Also, is that palette cycling on the level tiles controlled by music or something? Looks a little irregular to be a regular palette cycle.