don't click here

DeanSatan enters the fray!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DeanSatan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

lol

for naming the game quackshot, I got a copy of the game quackshot.
    I got a signed tommy lasorta baseball from tommy lasorta baseball.
    t-shirts, stationary ...etc. industry shwag really.

we used to go dumpster diving in the back parking lot on the weekends because theyd throw out lots of cool "junk".

2. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

maybe this sounds familiar, "thank you for calling sega. this is dean may I help you?"
    being a game councilor was great fun. I used to have regular callers and get in trouble for talking longer than I should.
    this was in the everything was free 1-800 days before the pay 976/1-900 pay for ltd information days. we used to waste tons of money on postage sending things out then it became more computerized with recordings and such.
    I will only say that american run japanese companies suffer from an internal conflict due to the difference in the two styles of work ethic. one an "all for one communal ideal" and another "cut-throat cowboys"... one saying assist the company on any level, the other assist the company only at your designated level.

I was at the tail end of the tonka thing. they had the distribution network to get the consoles into the stores. at the end of the day, they showed 'em how to do it in that sega just started doing their own distribution out of one of two warehouses.

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Do you remember if this badnik, the "Yadrin", was given a Westernised name? It's the only badnik we still call by its Japanese name, so it would be good for the sake of consistency if we could rename it.
    <!--quoteo(post=267974:date=Jan 15 2009, 02:26 AM:name=Hivebrain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hivebrain @ Jan 15 2009, 02:26 AM) [​IMG][/quote]

4. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
  5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Dean, did you have any input on the aesthetic differences between Dr. Eggman and Dr. Robotnik at the time?

6. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Any elaboration you could make on this point? I'm sort of interested in the process that a company would go through to determine this. Also, since you worked in "localization", were there any games you encountered that had the localization process started but never made it to Western audiences?

7. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

none at all. seems like a trick question. what were the differences between the two at the time? no matter what the character looked like, it was called either eggman or robotnik depending on your location. over time all sonic characters look became more stylized, but im not getting what youre saying.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I mean like in the Western style artwork of the character, but you pretty much answered my question, confused or not. Thanks man.

Haha, welcome by the way, hadn't thrown mine out there yet. It's a pleasure to meet you sir.

9. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I believe TJ means the difference between

[​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

But it's a moot point now, so.

10. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
  11. NemUK

NemUK

Probably lurkin'. Member
    Welcome! It's good to be able to finally have the opportunity to speak with someone who worked on Sonic! :D

And now for my question. I can understand if you're not allowed to answer this question, and apologies in advance if anyone thinks this is lame, but I'm just interested to know. During your time working on Sonic, did you ever have any ideas that were cut? Also, looking back on those now, would you say that it was a good or bad idea that those particular things were cut?

12. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

the game was in development, I added creative support at that time. if "worked on sonic" means "named a few characters... suggested ideas" then I worked on sonic. but, all I did was name some of the US characters... "working" on a game to me means actually making one, sharing in its success. that did not happen as it relates to sonic. I didnt get to do that until some time later. my history at sega at that time was suggesting ideas to anyone that would listen. many ideas, suggestion were turned down others used.

this was the feeling of my entry here, don't do that. it will not pay off. you will get taken advantage of.

13. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    Hello (and welcome to Sonic Retro). I was just wondering if by any chance you've ever played any prerelease of Sonic The Hedgehog for the Genesis in which there were UFOs in Marble Zone. There have been many pictures from such prototypes and I'm just curious to know someone who's experienced them (and if so, did they happen to do anything?).

14. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    RE: "Sitton attributed his poor typing in the thread to a "broken keyboard"; whether or not this could be confirmed as true is yet to be seen."

the malfunctioning Gateway Model#KB0401 keyboard used to type the "DeanSatan enters the fray!" posts will be auctioned off on e-bay. winning bidder will see actual soda pop-induced stick and lack of multiple keys including the letter "p", SHIFT, brackets, and underscore. Details to follow

if its what im thinking and an image in the background parallax scrolling bands, the US version had that taken out I think, while the effect remains in the uk/japanese versions?

15. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    <!--quoteo(post=268245:date=Jan 15 2009, 03:15 PM:name=DeanSatan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeanSatan @ Jan 15 2009, 03:15 PM) [​IMG]

16. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
  17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Wait, what? So broken was it? o_O

No (as it has been said before), but just if you wonder, the effect is missing in the US version because it was released before that was even programmed, as far as I know. It also has the levels in the level select in the wrong order.

18. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    I may have heard this wrong, from the previous page, but did you also name Fatal Labyrinth?

19. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    no I did not. I did play it for evaluation for genesis/it was in the 3rd party acquisitions pipeline at the time.
    that gametype became dragon crystal for game gear.

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Welcome to Retro, Dean.