don't click here

DeanSatan enters the fray!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DeanSatan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I'm not entirely sure if it's been properly mentioned, but welcome to Retro, and please feel free to stay. It's nice knowing that the person that came up with the names of a few characters from our childhoods is here and talking to us. Also, how did you find retro and what made you decide to register and post here?

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Oh man, let me also welcome you to this board. Holy hell man, it's always great to have someone close to the sega on board.

Looking around it seems you were at Sega of America during the early days, back pre-sonic. Were you around during the Tonka years? How much Sega Master System action did you see?

If you don't mind, I'm probably gonna pick your brain about this.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Sorry, but there's something untrue about this statement. Would you mind commenting on how you could have made that mistake?

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

A question from someone at another board: How do you feel about the term "Robuttnik" being used in the sonic cartoons?

5. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Wow, I found a few more of his developments online that I thought I'd share:
    http://burningpress.com/dsatan/images/secret/dsample.html

He is responsible for many of those tormenting levels in Chakan.

Your resume seems extremely diverse, from Level Design in Chakan, to localizing Sonic 1 with names that are houshold, to naming games that are in their own right cult classics, not to mention Quake Arcade and DDR. How was it, switching between so many genres and so many different jobs?

6. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    what..was it sonic3 that was the sonic spin off done in the us.. my bad.
    I posed for the oloroid picture that the cover of kid chameleon was based on, that was sti`s entry.
    if youve got any pull or are calling me out, pull up some of the documents I submitted during the sti interview process.
    look into it there is lots of stuff.
    I suggested sonic vs mario olympics in 94 or 95.. everything comes around.

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Haha, another question from another board: "Have you seen the youtube poops featuring robotnik? How do you feel about them?"

I think I'm gonna stop taking questions from them, haha.

So you worked on Chakan? I loved that game. Were you involved in any way in the dreamcast project? Are you familiar with any resources being shared with Legacy of Kain?

A more serious question: "Where did he get the idea for Robotnik and does he remember any other contenders?"

8. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

this is a good one.
    working as a contractor gives me the freedom that working for a company salary can not. its contract to contact\project to project and not as stable. im kind of stuck in old school, I think was left behind in the transition from 2d to 3d... thats why I gravitated toward mobile classic style games...again..still.

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    No, that was Sonic Spinball.

And now I wonder if you meant Sonic 2 and not Sonic Adventure 2 =X

10. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

I have not worked at sega since 1992. I have not worked for sega since 1999ish. I do not have any higher ups. im not really looking to work for anyone at the moment so unafraid of speaking my mind... as it relates to this.

thanks one and all for the interest and excitement.

youre exactly right im sorry for the confusion. im gonna take a breath pause and reflect on these posts. im not putting my foot in my mouth any more... unintentionally anyway.

11. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    You've probably noticed, but there are a couple sonic-related forum-wide fan projects going on. Have you thought about contributing to either of them (Meaning either Sonic Retro or Sonic 2 HD)? I'm sure the team would be honored by any contributions you could make.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Guys, guys—stop trying to get Dean to work on your projects or do you personal favors! This topic should exist to comment on his work and ask questions about his involvement in whatever games he was actually responsible for, not mindlessly kiss ass and ask him to contribute idea to whatever project.

If you're curious as to any bit of his involvement in any game, I've composed a wiki article for him at the following link, largely based on the information on his MobyGames page: Dean Sitton

By the way—if anyone can or feels like expanding that article any further, feel free.

13. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    It was Sonic 2, actually. After Yuji Naka took issue with the treatment he was receiving at SOJ, he quit and moved out to America, and then ended up joining in on the effort to get STI going. Because of that, and several other Sonic Team members' presence in or willingness to go to America, they decided to give the project to STI, while the remaining Sonic Team members stayed in Japan and created Sonic CD. STI also created Sonic Spinball, but because Naka became frustrated with the quality of work coming from the american STI members, he chose to switch back to his own japanese team for Sonic 3

I'm not sure what you're saying about the Kid Chameleon cover image (I get that it was based on a picture taken with you in it, but I don't understand the relation to STI that you mentioned), and I'm also not quite sure how that, or a suggestion for Sonic and Mario at the olympics are relevant. If you can actually use them to prove your case, that'd be interesting. They just seemed to come way out of left-field, is all I'm saying

I'm compelled to point out that asking him strictly character-related questions is kind of dumb, as he hasn't said that he was in any way related to anything other than renaming Eggman before the american release of Sonic 1. He's already implied that he had nothing to do with the development of the game, and the actual character "Dr Robotnik" as seen in american and european media was developed at a later point, which he hasn't said that he had any connection with

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Hey, I just noticed this from your wiki:

What game was that?

15. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

I had no connection to andnows dreamcast efforts
    I tested legacy of kain and pandamonium 1 and 2 at crystal dynamics

robotnik is the name of the american localization of egg man ... the bad guy turned the woodland creatures into robots seemed logical from a descriptive standpoint. `ivo` also sounds like `evil`.

it was a segacd or 32x project with an insect theme. .. shortly after that `bug` came out.
    my designs were not like the art style or direction of `bug` but also in an insect theme.

16. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

this is a good one. the game was reskinned from a japanese license.

they turned him into a mummy who punched with his guts\head... from a little guy with a turban throwing his hat.

I originally called the character `abracadaver` since he was dead and did magic
    a week later the syndicated comic stri wizard of id introduced a character called, you guessed it, abracadaver.

so they went with my previous suggestion of ... the process of hitting someone with your head as a `decapattack`
    the games producer I think came up with calling him chuck d. head

same look...also see the game psychofox, same mechanics...etc

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, so the name "Ivo Robotnik" had a pun after all? This was totally missed by a majority of us--Ryan Drummond pronounced Ivo as "eye-vo," instead of the originally intended "eee-vo." "Dr. Evil Robotnik" actually makes sense; I never understood why "Ivo" was sort of thrown in the fray without any clear purpose.

Thanks for the insight! You just totally warped a bit of my childhood. :(

18. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

thanks.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Because "Ovi" means "Egg" in Latin or some other dead language.

So yeah, "Ivo" is awesome, plenty of hidden references, one intentional, and one (un)intentional.

20. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    `...I'm not sure what you're saying about the Kid Chameleon cover image (I get that it was based on a picture taken with you in it, but I don't understand the relation to STI that you mentioned), and I'm also not quite sure how that, or a suggestion for Sonic and Mario at the olympics are relevant. If you can actually use them to prove your case, that'd be interesting. They just seemed to come way out of left-field, is all I'm saying...`

that came from left field. but, kid chameleon was sti`s first entry into 16bit...an original sega license that wasnt sonic coded in the us. also saying ideas offered up\volunteered freely are often embraced without any reward.