don't click here

DeanSatan enters the fray!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DeanSatan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    thank you.

2. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Dean- It's a pleasure. I've always been fond of the Robotnik name, and it really works well in the context of the game and its themes.

Now, for a few questions:

1. Were you involved in naming Sonic's home planet "Mobius" in the west? If not, do you know who was? In that promo comic from 1991 that you posted the scan of, the introduction refers to his home as Mobius, and this name was used for years in the west (and is still in use in the Archie comics, as is "Robotnik"). Also, any involvement in Sonic's love for Chili Dogs? :v:

2. It's commonly believed that Eggman/Robotnik had to be renamed in the west because of legal issues with using the name "Eggman." Is this true? Or did you just think that the name should be changed for the western market?

3. How did the "localization" process work? Did the higher ups at SEGA or even Sonic Team/Sega of Japan have to approve of the decisions that you made, or was it pretty much up to you and that was it?

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Since Dean is good at naming games, there's something I'd like to ask out of curiosity even if it's completely unrelated to his work.

Dean, what do you think about the names given to the Sonic hacks we have here at Sonic Retro? You can find a quite comprehensive list here: Category:Hacks.
    I'm curious to hear the opinion of an expert, about some names like Sonic Megamix or Sonic Remastered.

And yes I know this is a cheap question but I bet someone else was going to ask this eventually anyway so I thought I could as well go ahead.

4. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    This is really crazy and beyond funked up. A college buddy of mine and I got really drunk one day and started discussing irrelevant stuff - he said Dr. Ivo Robotnik ("you know, from the Sonic series...?") has got to have some sort of connection to our country (former Yugoslav republic of Slovenia and stuff) as the name "Ivo" is not in fact Russian ("Ivan") but rather Yugoslavian.

I argued "come on, it's a pun at Ivan, sounding 'evil' in English". Turns out he was right all along O_o The world of Sonic never ceases to amaze...

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Holy shit...Dr. Ivo Robotnik, Caterkiller, Buzzbomber, Crabmeat...you made my childhood man!

First of all, Welcome to Sonic Retro, a community of Sonic retro lovers...Im sure a lot of people will throw you a LOT of questions, I mean, you're a legend in the Sonic mythos =P

Thx for posting here by the way ^^

Mmm some question, were you aware of Robotnik translation in South america countries like Argentina or Uruguay? Here, in the old sonic cartoon (AoSTH) it was called "Mostachon" =P though in the "Sonic Underground" cartoon, it remained "Robotnik".

Also, do you know why its "Doctor" Robotnik? I mean, we know that some politicians are called like that, but Robotnik its more a dictator I think, do you though that before?

Thanks for taking your time, and greetings from Uruguay ^^

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    His translated name changed in every cartoon to be honest.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Here in Italy, he was Dr. Ivo Nick in the AoSTH cartoon, and Eggman in Sonic X (but in one episode he mentioned his full name being Ivo Robotnik).

8. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    And in SatAM.

I wonder what was wrong with the name Robotnik.

You are my hero.

9. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    thank you.
    digging through old boxes of stuff yesterday, makes the answering questions process much easier and disconnected.

in the original sonic bible sonic starts as being brown, his original name is sonny , kintobor/robotnik is there, dr. is eating an egg when an experiment goes wrong.. making him bad. ..all taking place in nebraska. so here there isnt anything connecting/mentioning mobius. im looking at four version of the bible now.

as far as the change, its as if someone held up an object and said "what do you call this"? ... meaning I didnt create the object... I just named it. I found the list someone else asked about - other names that I suggested that were rejected. other robotnik names were, doctor X, Doctor Gloom, Dr. What.

the producers call the shots. I was a lowly game councilor, after I finished saying "call the ladybug with one wheel a motobug, psycho cycle, put butt, or wheely bug"..then id go back to where I was supposed to be. now days you will not find much interdepartmental back and forth - they keep this sort of stuff from happening by keeping employee types together. testers and other lower positions just don't mingle with producers like they used to back in the day. :(

50% of them are solid, as far as names, you wouldnt know they were fan games.

"harder levels version" "omg the red rings""..with fries" sound like working titles youd use to confuse onlookers... rather than read on a box on a shelf.

"mega mix" "lost land" "hyper x" "remastered" "final showdown" all sound like they could be actual SKUs

10. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    Hiya, thank you.

well he started as a doctor or scientist or technologist, just something bad happened along the way making him turn evil. all mad scientists are power crazy. any bad guy in any game pretty much seeks to control the entire world. hes no different in that respect. this is my opinion though. this is all back story which isnt really delivered withing the game scope. many unknowns in fiction were filled in or made up or delivered from japan as success of the license grew.

street fighter as an example, when the first game came out no one knew the interconnective history of the characters... this was fleshed out over time and there are differences between markets.

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I can't believe no one has asked him to look for old game carts in his old boxes yet

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Would it be too much to ask you to scan this and upload it to the wiki? It'd be great.

13. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

I found a list of "nicknames" for robotnik/names that sonic could call him that I suggested:

mister badwrench
    mr. bad year
    fatty lobotnik

someone did, I did.

14. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    OK, that made my day XD

15. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

im thinking of slapping it in with the keyboard and a signed copy [:)] of the first promotional comic...
    for the ebay auction thing. ill keep adding stuff to it until it sounds attractive.

so far im thinking:
    sticky keyboard
    signed comic - I've only got 4 left
    sonic bible (one of 4 versions)

imo, its a junk time capsule worth something to only a select few... and at almost 20 years old, well past the statute of limitations :(

happy belated birthday. :(

16. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Sonic bible? Now that is quite interesting. I was always curious what kind of an internal continuity Sega of America had. Did this bible come from Japan or from SoA marketing or what?

Nebraska? Ha! I'm very curious where Mobius came in, since it has been around since 1991.

And believe me, there's more of an eBay market for those bibles than you think! :(

Gotcha. By "producers," do you mean the guys back in Japan, or your higher ups at SoA?

Thanks!

17. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid

the bible was developed at soa in-tune with getting the game from soj - there was little to no exposure to the original japanese fiction at that time.

producers meaning american producers, there were 2. one was back n forth between japan working closely with sonic team to craft the game, the other fleshing out the intended american fiction. (imo)

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Hello,
    First of all if you don't recognise my username, I'm the one who posted a link to your Wikipedia User Page in the IRC Channel.
    I don't think this has been said yet (apart from Malevolence's question about the Marble Zone beta background) but do you recognise anything from this page and this page?
    Also, do you mind if the names for Dr. Robotnik are added on the Wiki?

19. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    thanks for the link. :(
    do I recognize anything is kind of open ended... many screens and according typos seem familiar ie clock ork..but its been almost 20 years? the large rolling ball I think was placeholder for the first area that sonic must smash through - using the ball came before his ability to smash through on his own... I think.

I do not mind. heres another name taken from a second suggestion list:

"nasty mcrotten" or any two adjectives with a "mc" in between.

20. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I just noticed something in the wiki:
    The post linked later is from 2006. Looks like we overlooked that. The world is small, geese =P

EDIT: disregard that, apparently it was noted before D=