don't click here

AAUK Chastises Classic Eltitists

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Greg the Cat, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Hey, I had pretty high standards for what I watched back in the day, or at least I did by the time I was playing video games. That was something like 4 or 5. Most of what I watched was made sometime in the 40's, such as those famous Superman short movies and Looney Toons, some Jonny Quest, The Herculoids... Wait, the Herculoids? Holy crap that show was weird. But the point is I missed a lot of the toy commercial type cartoons thanks to being born a few years too late and mostly watching Cartoon Network. Captain Planet was about as low I went.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Wait, you can't join here unless you're an elitist? How the fuck did I get in?

As far as I know, all you need to join here is a love for one of the four MegaDrive games, and a basic knowledge of English spelling and grammar. Hardly elitist.

So apparently, people who love the classic Sonic games don't get any more say in how a classic-styled Sonic game should play than people who don't love the classic Sonic games. That makes sense. Why don't we just let people who absolutely hate Sonic full-stop have a say in the matter too? And why should we, Sonic Retro have any biased opinion towards the classic games at all? It's not like this is a forum devoted to them or anything.

Now, I love Sonic Unleashed. It's my favourite 3D Sonic game, sitting in my favourite Sonic games list just above Sonic 2, just below Sonic CD, and WAAAY below Sonic 3K. Apparently, this catered towards the majority of Sonic fans, those being 10-year-olds. I'm not sure how many of them asked for Sonic to turn into a massive twat at night, with a gameplay style that would be much better suited to Knuckles, but that's SEGA's way of catering to their target audience. For Project Needlemouse, their target audience is us. Surely they should cater to us now?

3. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Drama I'd never have otherwise heard about is brought to my attention on Sonic Retro! How did this happen? Why, of course: via a link to a TSSZ report, which like all news is designed to attract audiences by peddling controversy.

Tell me when something of importance happens. :rolleyes:

4. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Um, kinda late, but...

Fourth on Chimpo's sig? I've gotta see more where that came from!

5. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

There are more people interested in Chimpo's sign then annoyed at this article.

6. ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

Used to do things. No one quite recalls what. Member
    UK
    Ahem...

Did I say that Project Needlemouse WASN'T being slanted towards the older fans? Er, no. All that guy (last time I checked) was saying was that older fans should try and be more understanding and supportive of the younger fans. (Not quite sure how that makes me an Elitist as was claimed in an earlier post.)

Now I know Retro is RETRO related, I can read y'know, and SR sets its stall out very clearly. I've nothing but respect for Retro, and legitimately not one jot of that post was written with Retro in mind. It was a general commentary there are a lot of fans out there on all sorts of forums that simply respond to any younger fans with nothing but "you suck" instead of taking in that, er, these guys are young. They have different expectations of Sonic than we older fans do.

We all want the fanbase to grow, become stronger, but when fans go to find other fans who share their passion no matter what the game and are welcomed with abuse thats not going to happen. Chasing them out with fire doesn't grow the fanbase it SHRINKS it, some people don't get that.

So...
    No, Needlemouse is not going to suddenly not be angled at the classic fans.
    No, I wasn't talking anywhere about Retro.
    No, not all Classic fans are pricks.

All I was asking was for the fanbase to not be so divisive... it was too much to ask for, I know(!)

-AAUK-

PS: 0r4ng3, your sig is brilliant. Lol

7. Sploit

Sploit

Well AAUK, I totally understand where you are coming from and agree with everything you have said.

I am 21 years old and have followed the Sonic series since I played the first Master System title. Yet I can't say there's a single Sonic game or character for that matter, that I dislike. I played sonic 06 recently when I got my Xbox before christmas and after finishing the game, I personally didn't see what all the negativity was for, its really a decent game, just my opinion.

The only thing I would like to see in future games, is see forgotten characters brough back, such as Mighty, Ray, Bean and Bark. Again, that just something I personally would like to see, but I still enjoy the games regardless. Everyone has different opinions and the fact that the fanbase spans so many generations is the only reason that Sonic get any criticism from anyone, because no matter what SEGA and Sonic Team do, it would be almost impossible for them to please everyone at the same time with one game. People should try and respect each other a bit more, after all, each to their own.

I think SEGA and Sonic Team always make the right choice of what to do with Sonic and the series/franchise, plus he is their character to do with what they see fit, they own him. They don't really owe anyone anything, they gave us a great character and great games. and continue to do so, people shouldn't try to dictate things to them.

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    This. As proven by this topic, the discussion was about the elitist ones- most of the posts here were "oh, he's actually right, it makes sense", proving Retro isn't elitist. If anything, it just shows how low TSSZ will go to stir shit up. "HEY LET'S PAINT A PERFECTLY NORMAL AND VALID OPINION TO BRING SHITSTORM". Honestly, just that last paragraph of the article brought me more Rage than the rest.

9. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Ok then, AAUK. Still, I am not amused.

Yes, I know that the franchise has always been aimed at a young age (but not as young as you guys seem to let on now), but it was also fun for the adults even, and I would've loved to enjoy a new game of a franchise I've been supporting for years. My rage has come from the disappointment that's surrounded the games. I just still don't get why it's so hard to entertain kids with the pinball physics, surreal environments, etc. etc. Why can't we have a simple game in the vein of classic Sonic but in 3D and with a map of the world considered. I am just wondering why we can't compromise one way or the other, so that all fans can enjoy it. Nintendo's been doing that for years now and look where that got them.

10. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Ironicly, I've been trying to hook my little niece on the old Sonic games. She refuses them, yet will happily play Sonic Heroes.

Basically, Greg, The old games catered to adults and children, but at the time many more things were different. Sonic was a whole phenomenon, series, games, comics, appearances everywhere, it was obvious adults would also catch it. Nowadays, SEGA simply can't afford the same levels of publicity.

11. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Being aimed at certain tastes is one thing, but many recent Sonic games are objectively poorly made products.

Sonic 06 is buggy as hell, has tremendous load times, and is basically a late beta. The gameplay is awful, but if you like it, cool.

Being able to stand in loops? Or spending several minutes loading one line of text? These are NOT things which can be justified by taste; they are things which don't work.

12. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    I honestly wished people would stop using Sonic 06 as an excuse to hate anything. From Sonic Rush to Unleashed, I'd say SEGA's sins of Sonic 06 were atoned already. Yes it was a bleeding buggy, idiotic, incomplete game. Just let it go already.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I agree with most of the things AAUK has said, except for this one here:

I misintepreted some of the other things said in the blog, and I see that this wasn't an attack on retro Sonic fans, but only on retro Sonic fans who attack modern Sonic fans. But still, surely the whole point of Needlemouse is that it IS angled at the classic fans?

14. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    ... That's what he said? People started acting as if now Needlemouse will be all to the new players, to which he said, "No, it won't suddenly not be for the old ones." Remove the negatives, "Yes, it will be for the old gamers".

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL

I'm an idiot. AAUK, I'm fine with you now.

16. MastaSys

MastaSys

Tastes are tastes, but you should try an different approach, like showing little things that made us smile when we were little (the fact that Tails could use his two tails to fly always amused me), I did it with some of my friend's child, you can do it too :)

On topic, what AAUK said (in this case) is true, most of the classic fans are excellent people, but like EVERY fan base, there also elitists and purists, and those people were the ones AAUK were criticizing, this was already said several times in this thread.

Of course there are some fans that like the series for one character or any other thing that can make anyone of us (myself included) raise an eyebrow.
    But even they are a just child or just an teen, they are still an fan and a person and I have to respect that.

I think (IMO) the "villain" on this one is TSSZ, dropping every classic fan in the same bag and try to make that an small group outside the "big thing" that is the Sonic's fans.

...But then again, nothing that wasn't already said in this thread.

17. Machenstein

Machenstein

This. It has been three years since that game came out and there are people who still obsess over it. If I didn't know any better, I would think they might actually love the game and are just denying it for some reason. Their attachment to the game is certainly strong enough for it to determine their view of the series. They might as well reserve just as much nostalgia for Sonic 2006 as they do for the Genesis games.

18. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

The original wasn't mine, though I had noticed it then I played the first time as well. I can't remember where I found it anymore, which is a shame. There was that Rouge one in HD as well there. :v:

19. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Honestly, she loves the characters and is always drawing Sonic, but can't care for the games at all, and it's not just Sonic- Mario, Mega Man, anything. The only games I've seen her play continuously were Pokémon Silver and the first Wario Land.

She liked both Sonic X and the Sonic OVA, though. I'm trying to get her on Doctor Who now.

OK ENOUGH OFF TOPIC

EDIT: So I don't have to stray offtopic

This. Honestly, if we are going to hate one of the generations because of a game, CLASSIC SONIC HAD SONIC 3D BLAST AND THAT ONE OTHER GAME ON THE PICO. HE CLEARLY SUCKS HURRR.

20. Yuzu

Yuzu

I really don't give a shit about all this drama.

If the games good, the games good. If it's crap, we can just hope that the next game isn't as bad. :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.