don't click here

AAUK Chastises Classic Eltitists

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Greg the Cat, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Times have changed, and so have fans. Some grew up with Sonic on the Mega Drive, while some played his games on newer consoles). Nowadays, due to the introduction of characters such as Shadow, fans are desperate to have their preferences in the next Sonic game. True, Unleashed did go back to the Sonic-only playable system, but do note that it was ruined by the Werehog, who was an entirely different character in terms of his moveset and playing style.

To be honest, some people (such as the new fans who grew up with the likes of Sonic Adventure, Heroes and the like) need to have a cup of shut the fuck up and realise that Needlemouse will be different and that they should accept it or not play it. In fact, I think that Needlemouse will be catering for those fans who have been feeling left out since the last decent 2D game was Sonic Advance. Quite frankly, I don't like the amount of characters added, because newer characters tend to hog the limelight that Tails and Knuckles had before. I mean, Knuckles was Sonic's rival and now he's been sidelined most of the time due to newer characters.

If SEGA want to please most of the fans, they should do it in a decent way, not by ruining a game due to a poor story or level design failures. If Needlemouse is successful (this is supposed to be a return to 2D Sonic), SEGA might make a sequel. Just let the older fans have some fun for once without having to deal with extra characters, voice acting and much more.

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Except for the part where he was never really Sonic's rival, but instead being misled by Eggman.

If anything, he's MORE of a rival now than he was before.

3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Not really, they just made him incredibly fucking retarded. Literally. A pile of rocks is more intelligent than poor Knuckles now.

4. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Or maybe due to the fact that he hasn't been relevant to the plot for about 10 years. In most games, he seemed to forget there was an island and emerald he was meant to be guarding.

Anyhow, I don't see what's controversial about this. Other than Doctor Who fandom, Sonic fandom is one of the ones I've seen most elitism in.

5. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    I have to say I agree whole-heartedly with both the topic title and the actual statement.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Remember when they didn't add a new characters with every main game?

Oh wait.

7. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

I don't mind all the new characters, as long as they continue to have some kind of purpose or stay out of the way if a story needs to be told (which more often than not, should not be told). I think three quarters of all the existing Sonic characters have some kind of potential to be developed further and eventually be accepted as decent characters. When characters KEEP getting added though, anyone would be hard-pressed to do this.

By the way Chimpo, where did you get that picture in your signature? It's fantastic.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Oh dear, we're elitist because we want Sonic games that aren't buggy messes.

We should cry some more.

I'm not a huge fan of modern Sonic, but I love the Adventure series and Unleashed. They're good enough games, but Sonic 06 as a concept was horrible. The story was pure bollocks, the redesign of Sonic was horrendous, the only good parts of the game were the music and level designs.

Some of the stuff AAUK said was right, but most was saying we're bad people for hating the newfags who introduced fan characters into the fanbase.

Why shouldn't we hate that?

9. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Quite.

The fire is too good for them.

And I second the motion for sauce on Chimpo's sig. That is some fine CD-esque artz.

10. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Well, he/she did say that the vast majority of old school fans are awesome. I think he's refering to those who extremists, not people who don't want a buggy game.

Third on the Chimpo's sign. I even sent a pm and everything. :v:

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Personally, I wouldn't think we're "elitist." I do think however, the "classic" design has an appeal that should be around today and commonly, at that (thus removing the "Classic" label).

I'll elaborate:

Mickey Mouse is iconic, and yet timeless at the same time. People always associate him with Toontown, his simple design, and works by Disney that appeal to the whole family. The same case is going on with Mario; he's easy to recognize as the plumber in the familiar blue and red, and Nintendo keeps a cute family friendly image of him (which says a lot for a fat Italian plumber). The simple concepts of big eyed mushrooms, ? blocks, and other things, along with good gameplay made him an instant star. Nintendo does the icing on the cake by actually keeping him fresh, but keeping audiences of all ages interested in him with a wide variety of fun, but cartoony games that don't make teens and adults cringe by looking at it. The success of these characters I believe is that you can throw them in any time period of the last 100 years or so, and they can work, be it past, present or future.

Few other iconic characters in history have brought out this appeal, which can bring out success in the long term business. I believe Sonic had this appeal, but by 1994, Sonic Team was already "straying away" from it. Take note of Sonics design back then; he looked like a cute lil' toon from the 1920s or 1930s. He was quick to recognize as the speeding blue hedgehog. He was trying to be edgy and cool,and better than Mario back then. Sonic was doing it in a fashion that had Sonic Team followed it, could have made him as "timeless" as Mario. How people recognzied Sonic was "the blue hedgehog collecting rings and smashing the animal robots" (such phrase can easily have a few words changed and you have Marios life story). Sonic even had an iconic landscape that didn't try to appeal to a specific generation, and can age very well; the tropical checkered hills, the "Eggman Hideout," as well as others like the pinball city.

To me, I view the "Classic" design as a stepping stone for a better turn for Sonic, rather than what he should alone always be. I think the problem is repairing or modifying what was done in recent time with oddities like Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog. I'm not saying they are bad games, but I don't think a lot of Sonic games out today will age very well in the long run (surprisingly though, I think Sonic Heroes has a better chance then both of them at such a goal).

I think personally the new games have bred a type of fan which isn't exactly "the best" to say. Most consist of teenagers who I might call "not exactly the brightest of company." With Mario games, people of any age can relate to how they like the new and old Mario games, with little hate in between. With Sonic games, there's a dramatic line between the different types of fans. To me, a lot of the new gen fans might actually discourage parents from liking Sonic the Hedgehog much around kids of young ages, considering how paranoid they are sometimes. I don't see many Mario fans getting into heated debates using profanity on public websites like Youtube a lot.

Just my two cents.

If theres a lot of grammatical errors, awkward wording of things and such, I wouldn't be surprised. :v:

12. corneliab

corneliab

First off, what's with all the retarded rage in the topic title? The statement flat-out said that most old-time Sonic fans are great- the only group being condemned here are those crazy outlandish pricks that go on nutty tyraids. You know the ones.

Second off, who the fuck cares?

13. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Uh... the blog post is in no way supposed to be some sort of jab at the veteran fans, at least not how I'm reading it. Seems like pretty much "tl;dr STOP BICKERING WE GET IT YOU HAVE DIFFERING OPINIONS" to me. As Tweaker stated, typical drama etc.

But yeah, this is definitely not news. Originally I was going to sort of add my own two cents on how I believe the games should be handled, but I'd kind of rather not delve much further into that before this becomes yet another "how to save the series" thread in disguise. :/

14. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Right. I care because one man controls the opinion of everyone. This guy's an elitist himself.

15. Jace

Jace

I don't know the guy and he isn't anything to me, so he can say whatever the hell he wants. Sounds like news blown out of proportion.

16. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Stupid fandom drama. Blown out of proportion.

Don't give a shit.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    There is no bigger sign of a complete, unrelenting faggot than someone who goes on and on about fucking opinions.

"That's just your opinion, and I respect your opinion, but what about MY opinion, you don't respect my opinion"

Fuck off!

18. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Since I'm posting this everywhere else I may as well post it here, too.

To a degree, AAUK is right. There are staunch Sonic fans with VERY SPECIFIC and EXTREMELY NARROW definitions of what they want from their "perfect" Sonic game – and it's often rife with things that are no longer relevant or logical to the franchise. Things that are never going to come back and frankly, don't need to come back. But whenever a new Sonic game forsakes anything on this list, it's automatically The Worst Thing Ever™. Not all hardcore Sonic fans are like that, but some of these people can be very vocal about it.

At the same time, though, looking to the younger players doesn't strike me as the "ONE TRUE CORRECT PATH", either. A 10 year old doesn't know what they want. They'll literally watch anything – as evidenced by the fact that I was 10 years old once, too. When I was 10, I was in love with shows like G.I. Joe, The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, He-Man, etc. If you watch a lot of that stuff today, it's clearly obvious that it was nothing more than a vapid, mindless, blatant advertisement for an action figure. Kids will watch that stuff and say that they enjoy it. I certainly did. There's certainly a lot of money in that line of thinking, too. But it is not better. "It doesn't have to be sophisticated and can be bad because kids will like it anyway" is not a valid defense.

Sonic the Hedgehog needs to be a balance. It shouldn't cater to children, it shouldn't cater to fanboys, it probably shouldn't be catering to any niche at all, really. Sonic the Hedgehog just needs to be a good game that everyone can enjoy. Like Mario - Mario doesn't really have a set "demographic". There is very little in any given Mario game that specifically gravitates towards children (or away from adults). Mario is for everybody.

That is an example Sonic needs to follow.

19. Impish

Impish

This was a reply written at the blognik:
    I wonder where this fellow is talking about ;)

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Sonic Stadium, obviously. :v:

Otherwise...

Though it would be wise of Sega to put, "The thoughts and experiences of this blogger do not necessarily reflect those of Sega(blahblah)" as a sort of covering-their-asses move.

I now return to my previous state of, "lol sonic fandom drama (plays Mega Man Zero 2)"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.