don't click here

AAUK Chastises Classic Eltitists

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Greg the Cat, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Blame SEGA then.

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

I think they just need to release like around 2-3 quality main titles per generation, and people generally will not mind too much the spin-offs (Only a few purists or fanboy of some Sonic canon that thinks every sonic canon must be like his "perfect one").
    It's the same for other series like Mario or Final Fantasy, maybe Mega Man now, or even Sonic Genesis Mega Drive generation itself.

Maybe the beginning will not be like this, but on a steady continuing release schedule, I believe so.

3. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It's funny though that on one hand, they say Sonic has always been for kids (and don't get me wrong, to an extent it has been, though not nearly as much as it was meant to have universal appeal), but on the other back when Sonic was still something new, the backbone of the SEGA marketing of Sonic and SEGA in general was promoting the idea that Nintendo was for babies.

4. Nova

Nova

You have to bear in mind that many people have many different opinions - the most popular right now being that post-SA2 Sonic outings have killed the franchise and a lot of people's enthusiasm has followed suit. I know mine has - let's look at all the games since SA2 that I thought were average or below-average counting only the games that I actually played:
    • Sonic Advance 2
    • Sonic Advance 3
    • Sonic Rush Adventure
    • Sonic Heroes
    • Shadow The Hedgehog
    • Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)
    • Sonic Unleashed
    • Sonic Riders
    • Sonic And The Secret Rings
    That's the vast majority of post-SA2 releases in the series and to be honest, it's not hard to see why somebody would take issue with these titles. Flawed controls, a terrible camera and unimaginitive, bland zones. Not to mention the wealth of unneccessary characters that have been stupidly shoehorned in and Sega's complete refusal to listen to any sort of criticism. At least now things may take a turn for the better, but does it really surprise you that, given the critical reception of most recent Sonic games, that even former fans such as myself are still humming the same tune they have been since around 2003?

5. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Ugh, seriously? It's called trade. You make something for someone else and they give you something for it if they like it enough. Win-win.

It's what makes the world go 'round. Get used to it.

6. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think needlemouse is fan service. It's entirely the opposite of that. The hardcore sonic fans are the ones who spend hours drawing green versions of sonic with 20 quills having sex with 1 panel unknown archie characters. Sega has been focusing on the wrong group of people to make games for for years. The real money in sonic is in the general public, everyone loves Sonic, hell he's more recognisable than Mario and Mickey Mouse (this is certainly true in the UK). But what the general public don't want to play is a black sonic that has machine guns and drives vehicles. The only people playing that game are those who are hardcore into sonic.

I want what every other damned gamer on the planet wants, I want to run around as Sonic collecting rings, on a green hill on a sunny day, running through loop de loops, jumping on baddies and to finally take down that fat git robotnik!

7. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    This. I mean, the people here with collections have like 9 different versions of every new Sonic game (3 consoles + 3 regions)

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well it is a fan service. To the jaded fan base that's been ignored, which is the casual Sonic enthusiast as well as (Hardcore) retro Sonic fans.

I hope the series takes this route. They initially decide to split the series into two. In one you have games that play like retro Sonic games, and the other is something along the lines of what's going on now. The retro esq games will hopefully get more sales and become more popular. Than either one or two things can happen from here. The preferable option for me anyway is that the retro type games spread their influence into the main series and we can finally have something that doesn't make us want to cringe. But if necessary, option 2 is just killing off the main series entirely. I'd rather not see that because I still feel like 3D Sonic could be great they've just been doing it wrong.

9. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    fifthelephant pretty much hit the nail on the head, I really can't argue with his stance on the matter, all his points are incredibly solid and well backed up. He's 100% right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.