don't click here

3D Model ripping thread

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ice God, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Would someone mind telling me how to RIP 360 models? Other than cracking the format of course—if there is a way.

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Crack the format.

3. Rage

Rage

Forum Deviant Oldbie
    That worked perfectly, thank you.

4. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Does that also fix the alignment errors I seem to get if I try converting it to any other format?

If so, how do I do this?

5. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    Ill take a few reference pictures(front, back, side and top) I have been wanting to model sonic for awhile, but I just don't have time to draw out reference pictures.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    You know, Link00y released the Sonic Unleashed 360 models for Garry's Mod - it can't be that hard to convert them out of HL2's format and in to something else, though you'd probably have to remake the eyes.

He only did Sonic, Tails, and Amy, but if that's all you need...

Never really understood the whole "GOTTA KEEP THE GOODIES AWAY FROM FANTARDS, THEY AREN'T WORTHY ENOUGH" mentality, really.

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Me neither. They're always going to do recolors no matter what you do. Plus its not like the models are put on some scale of "more high poly the more secretive it must be". Sure the 360 models are awesome, but why must they be hidden?

8. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Because most sane people don't want the Sonic Channel CGI models ruined with stupid shitty recoloring. Oh also my favorite thing people do "HUR HUR I MAD THIS MODL ALL MYSELF IT CUSTOM BY ME HUR HUR SEGA NO MAKE IT I SWARE"

9. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Most sane people also don't care and let the stupids be stupid in the corner and go on with their lives ignoring it, because they know better. That's my point behind it.

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    It's still extremely annoying when people do it, so it's better to try and stop them for as long as you can until the eventual time when everyone gets them. Basically I'll release anything I rip from Sonic games, unless it is something so great that I don't want people to completely deface them with recolors.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I suppose that is understandable, and my problem isn't with letting them out to everybody, but to people who others know won't do any harm with it. To keep it confined to only a very very few people is a little upsetting, because I'm sure trustworthy people can make good things out of the models.

Either way they're now in Garry's Mod so it looks as though the poor models are already screwed over anyways. :psyduck:

12. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    If it's easy to get a hold of a model, everyone would be able to call them on it.

I just think of it as a sort of high tech coloring book.

13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Not the case at all. I put my model rips on multiple sites, and they are very easy to get, yet someone will post a picture of one of my rips and say they made it and have 10 pages of comments about how they are amazing and should get a job in the industry, they do better than Sega, ect. It happens a lot and I can't stand it it.

14. I agree with Polygon Jim, I saw it happening a few times, people just took rips of Sonic models, and call them their owns, and everyone says they are awesome etc. But the main reason I can't hand it out is cause I'm told not to.

Anywho, the references (click on the pictures for a larger view):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    You done the right thing. I highly discourage the use of ripped game models in fan games and such, and only use them as references on making one yourself. That way, the corporations won't realized you got the data from their games, when they specifically told you that you cannot veiw and manipulate that same data in any way.

I also Sold mine on Turbo Squid for $!0. I also include a readme file so that they give me credit when they use them. Sure, it might be copyright infringement, but it's a sure thing to make sure that I got something out of it.

Also, take a look at this if you haven't already.

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    FWIW, that's a bit of a failed campaign in this particular case, because the renders get recolored and retooled left, right, and center. In any case, these credit stealers are of course massive faggots, and should be called out and publicly teabagged at every opportunity.

17. To anyone with the 360 version of the Unleashed model, it would be helpful if I could have some wireframe pics of the hand for reference (especially the bottom of the hand). I've already used the high res pics in this thread to re-model the hand for my Sonic model (they've been a huge help!), but I've always found poly flow for hands a bit difficult, so it's currently quite a mess.
    If you're feeling really generous, the actual mesh for the hand would be great, but I respect that people with these models don't want them getting out (I've had people begging me for all sorts of media that I'm not allowed to share), and I'm only using it for reference anyway, so some orthogonal wireframes would be more than enough for what I'm doing. :)

18. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    [​IMG]

19. Thanks a bunch. Exactly what I needed :)

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I thought the Unleashed model had knuckles on its hands, are those just part of the normal map?
    Alright, seeing that topology up close, I'm not sure I want it. Rather than just making a pole like a normal person might (what I did), they just made a bunch of triangles across the top of his head. Thanks for the shots, though I was hoping to get a better idea of the topology of Sonic's muzzle. Could you hide all the mess of stuff behind it?

And I get the idea that you didn't merge the triangles into quads, and am wondering why.

I'd love to get my hands on VE/Marza's model, but that isn't going to happen.