don't click here

'Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia', Out Now

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Only for viewing, Nov 23, 2021.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    No, that's Micky.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    He'll always be Cucky to me just because of how stupid the name is.

3. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Wookie, Tookie, Lookie... where did the spellings Wocky, Tocky, and Locky come from?

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I'm spanish and I tend to read Cucky as Cookie because that's how we read those letters, and I could add that "cuqui" (same pronunciation) is a word similar to "cute" or "kawaii" but I've never read it that way, it's just a funny coincidence to add to this conversation because it would have been genius if they also thought about this one. Your Cucky sounds to me more like "khaki", doesn't it? I don't get what's fun about that, as it's still not "Cocky" (a spot-on and gross word at the same time).

5. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    cucky, pronounced as khaki, sounds very similar to cuck, which is a shortening of cuckold

6. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Leave it to the Sonic community to debate a minor change to a dirty sounding name. It makes for entertaining reading, at least. :P

Like a couple others here have said, I'm gonna keep calling him Cucky because it's funny and memorable. As for his new official name, I think it was a good idea to change it (for what should be obvious reasons) and I'm fine with it.

If there's anything to truly be offended by, it's whatever the hell they did to these sprite rips. Why are they so muddy?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I really can't believe that this is a discussion. The word "cuck" was not as widespread in the early 90s as it is now. You'd have been able to read it as onomatopoeia for the sound a chicken makes without the connotation of cuckold. Changing the name of this character to "Clucky" gets rid of that connotation without changing the intention behind the name and it still fits in perfectly alongside Flicky, Ricky, etc. It does not fucking matter. Its a sensible change for a character that I'm 100% certain you'd never talked about before this.

8. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    It's just another bit of localization from SEGA of America. Just like calling him "Chirps" back in 1991. The only difference is the rest of the Animals Friends now have their original Japanese names as their new localized names.

As with all localization, it doesn't matter at all and doesn't change what the Sonic Team intended back in 1991.

9. Prototype

Prototype

I had no idea my not-entirely-serious comment would trigger such an in-depth discussion and range of emotions.

Good old Sonic fandom.

In all seriousness though, as far as altered names go, Clucky is a decent one. With a localiser's hat on, I would have also reasonably considered the name Chicky.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

I don't know what that is, and, considering your posts, I'm fearing to google it. WordReference doesn't show any word beginning with those letters, and I fear to search on UrbanDictionary these days as well. I'll stay in my happy ignorance. In fact, I'm more annoyed that we had a wookie animal friend and now we just have a chimp. XD

11. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    There's nothing wrong with the word cuckold. It's very old fashioned and not commonly used, but it's been around for centuries (you'll find it often in Shakespeare.) It's a term for a man whose wife has been sexually unfaithful. The problem is the shortened form of cuck, which didn't exist at the time the game was created but in recent years has been used by the political alt-right movement to insult people's masculinity. But let's be honest, even if they used it to mean "love and happiness," we'd still probably never want to hear that word again, since anything embraced by the alt-right is poisonous by association.

12. Prototype

Prototype

It's really not a good idea to generalise and tar a whole group of people with the same brush, especially since the phrase "alt-right" was designed simply to denigrate anybody and everybody who doesn't embrace the Media's preferred brand of Hollywood Communist politics.

As per your last point, if you were to get mad and hateful towards people using a phrase meaning love and happiness (for the sake of argument) simply because they don't share your particular brand of politics, doesn't that make you the hateful bigot you're pretending you're so against?

I'm not advocating for any political position or party or team or brand, and I'm not advocating for the usage of the word "cuck", I'm simply pointing out that it's foolish and hypocritical to get mad at hypothetical spooky bigots under the bed while making large hateful judgements towards a nebulously defined group based on a media label designed specifically to divide and cause hatred without needing to engage an argument.

So how's about them cartoon chickens?

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    We don't need to go down this road. Drop it.

14. Prototype

Prototype

So, I know that my mind goes to the point of "Wow, look at all these errors, I won't buy the book".

But I'm wondering, to those who have bought it, are there any things you particularly like about the book and it's presentation?

What are some positives of the encyclo-speed-ia?

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Most of the information in there is correct. It's not particularly insightful and virtually all of it can be found easily online. I'm saying this not to excuse errors, but just to point out how a relatively small handful of mistakes amongst mundane, correct information reflects on the overall quality.

The book is nice to look at, nice to hold in your hands and there are small little morsels in there for fans to appreciate. I have the deluxe edition and really like it. I've thumbed through it a few times. That's the extent though. You know what you're getting with this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Thank you for the extensive explanation, though remember politics are banned here and I'm not a mod, but they close threads and ban people for this very reason, and I don't want that to happen. Thanks again anyway, I need more english lessons to keep up with everyone. XD

17. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    Yeah, I apologize, that was careless of me. Suffice it to say that no explanation of the word would be adequate without pointing out its political nature, something that probably wouldn't be apparent to people unfamiliar with American politics. It isn't an insult used by everyone, just people of a certain type of American politics, so the reason it's offensive is mostly due to that and is separate from its actual dictionary meaning. It's certainly not a fit name for a children's game character, even if the uglier nature of the word post-dates the character's creation. So I think it's a necessary change.