don't click here

'Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia', Out Now

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Only for viewing, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    “The two comics” being Archie and StC, just to clarify, right?

2. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    yea

3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Is there anything on Zeena mentioning she's good with weapons? For some reason that's something "Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide" brought up (my proof of this was a random Twitter thread showing off the pages that has since vanished) so I think that's something that would be interesting to see get brought back up, although I suspect it's not.

4. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I am going to guess that the name "Floatsam" is meant to reference Disney's The Little Mermaid.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Unlikely. Flotsam is an actual word (noun, the wreckage of a ship or its cargo found floating on or washed up by the sea), so it's probably just a punny portmanteau because the badnik floats and it appears in the ocean-themed level.

6. rockyandyipper

rockyandyipper

Absolute nerd Member
    I, for one, am SO ANGRY about Cucky's name being changed! This is absolute tyranny!

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I know "flotsam" is an actual term. My thought was that the Disney character is an eel while the badnik resembles an eel. I'm willing to accept it being a coincidence, though.

8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Looks more like a manta ray to me.

9. Found a mistake on Sonic R.

It's the factoid on page 93 that talks about the PC/Sonic Gem version that states "it reincorporates features that had to be cut for the Saturn version, including different times of day and weather effects that affect the tracks."

The weather/day change wasn't on the table for the Saturn game.

In fact, to quote Jon Burton:

"It was widely believed that Sonic R was originally going to have different times of day for races to take place because earlier prototypes had sunset skies and also the PC version DID have this feature.

However, the truth is we've never envisioned different times of day of the same tracks of the Sega Saturn version. And the simple reality is, that the music track for Resort Island was called "Can You Feel the Sunshine?", which didn't make a lot of sense when the sun had just set. So, we changed the skybox."

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yes that was misreported back in the day, because people weren't looking into Sonic R's development that closely and were making assumptions. I think I remember fixing it on the Sonic Retro wiki.

Sadly this happens more often than you think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. I think I know exactly how often this stuff happens, as we all do it. Like that whole Sonic 3 music debacle. Well, it wasn't really a debacle, but we all just assumed that the music was re-made.

Someone else may have to add it in, as I can't seem to log-in to that side of Sonic Retro for some reason.

TBH, and this is gonna sound embarrassing, a decade or so into this site/forum and I never even knew how to access the wiki without provided links or google searches. Couldn't find any link on the main page saying "wiki" or anything. It wasn't 'till recently that I had to go to "info" on the main page.

13. Prototype

Prototype

I just saw that list of errors in the encyclopedia, and since there are so many inaccuracies in the book, I'm just gonna say it now.

The Chicken is Cucky.

Besides, you can't start rewriting history just because people start getting offended by things they choose to be offended by.

14. I agree, it shouldn't be offensive at all. I'd argue that in a more Japanese pronunciation, "Cu" can be pronounced "(KOO)", as in "Coo-coo clock" (which, funnily enough can also be spelled as "Cuckoo clock".) In Japanese, Cucky is "Kukki", which is more like "Cookie".

Also, aren't there birds called "cuckoos"? Granted, they aren't chickens, but again they're not even pronounced with the "UH" sound.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh no, they slightly changed the name of a throwaway character to something that makes way more sense in English like literally every single other Sonic character in existence.

It's not like Sonic is spelt and pronounced "Soniku" in English. And chickens cluck, soooo yea. Plus if Sega says it's Clucky now, it's Clucky. It's their character they can call it whatever they want. Much like how back in the day we all thought Mighty was part of the Chaotix, but one day Sega said no and eventually those connections were completely removed in all Sonic media.

Also yea you absolutely can start renaming things because people are offended by the name now. If you live in the US there have been at least 5 notable brand renames in the past decade because their origins were racist. And the definitions to words can change over time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Not Chirps? ;)

17. I'm still going with Cucky. Yeah, Sega can change things, but an encyclopedia is about history and preservation, and changing it due to fear of backlash (or whatever the reason) simply goes against that. If they've created the name beforehand and established that new history, then that's fine. I guess one can argue that it is history now.

Y'know, it could very well be an oversight/typo for all we know. The book has so many mistakes as it is.

18. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    "Rewriting history"? You sound like someone who just learned what a retcon is.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's Saturday night and I'm looking up fictional chickens.

I think the first English appearance of "Cucky" is Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld in 1995. Then Sonic Jam. Then Sonic Generations. I don't know if he's mentioned in Sonic Lost World or any of the Olympics games, but there's enough here for me to assume "クッキー" is indeed meant to be Cucky and not "Cookie" or something like that.

And in wiki terms, games > books. I'm in the "it's probably wrong" camp, because even if "Clucky" makes more sense to English speakers, it's the Japanese name - it's not meant to make sense to you.

(and there'll be more official English sources for "Chirps" anyway)