don't click here

"Multiple" new Sonic games planned for 2021

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Bro. It's a joke. Didn't you see that I agreed with your earlier post? I think everybody knows that Microsoft is never, ever going to buy Sega. That's what the whole thing is poking fun at.

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I wouldn't say never ever though.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

It's never going to happen. Not only would Japan's laws make it extraordinarily difficult, Microsoft has had the opportunity to buy Sega in the past and chose not to.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @TheOneAndOnlyJoebro64 at one point sure, but what was that, 20 years ago? A lot can/has changed in that time. If it happened back then we'd likely see consoles to this day with a mix of Sega/Microsoft branding and Xbox as we know it would possibly have never existed, which would have been lovely if only because the person who names Xbox consoles is like high or dyslexic because wtf are their naming conventions? If it happened now though, game exclusives... that's basically it (unless they felt like rebranding xbox things as Sega in JP because the xbox has always done horribly in JP)

I mean how is Sega doing these days? Overall they seem fine, I think many of their recent releases have been well received, really their only flimsy branch seems to be Sonic (and their many other neglected franchises from the late 90s/early 2000s).

Just wish Sega would give even a fraction of the care to Sonic that they give to Yakuza's 0 through like 16 (how many of these are there now? I feel like 6 have come out in the time between Forces and now). But ya if anything Sega would be bought by another Japanese company, but I don't think Sega or Sammy are in the market to sell the Sega branch.

I feel like Sony would be a better fit for Sega, and given how I'm a Playstation girl, I'd prefer that in a hypothetical situation :specialed:.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Sega and Microsoft not sticking together and working something out with Xbox was the fault of their own egos getting in the way, and both companies have paid for it ever since in their hubris. Sega struggled with quality control for years due to having no solid ground and money hemorrhaging (to the point that most of their franchises are now dead), and Microsoft has absolutely no momentum in Japan and still almost no IPs anyone cares about.

Together they could've been the stone-solid third pillar of the industry, granted some other petty argument between them wouldn't come down the line later, but both companies' legacies remained as being third place in a two person race, and it's mostly because they couldn't agree on something as petty as an online service.

Serves them both right. :colbert:

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The xbox is successful outside Japan. Plus they just bought Bethesda. But it's a system that primarily consists of shooters and sports games and for a good chunk of people that's all they want. If they weren't successful they wouldn't still be making consoles.

But an acquisition back in the 2000s would have changed things, with that kind of backing + not having to deal with multiple platforms, at the very least the 2000s Sonic games might not have been inconsistent dumpster fires. A world where Heroes and 06 could have been good but the Advance, Rush, and Rivals series might not have ever existed. Oh and Sa2b would be on the xbox and not the gamecube. There's a what if to think about. Sonic's 3d and maybe even 2d legacy might have been extremely different had the deal go through. Adventure 1 and 2 would still exist but beyond that it's a mystery.

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah that's kinda my thing about it. I'm definitely not of the opinion that Microsoft has any reason to buy and/or team up with Sega these days, but it was certainly a MEGATON missed opportunity in the 00s. Not only would've the Sega console legacy continued to evolve + necessary funding for Sega's other endeavors would've left the company a lot more prosperous + Microsoft having an identity in the industry that they didn't have to desperately claw for, but it's ALSO likely that the entire Sonic series wouldn't have shat the bed for a decade straight.

But that's all a "maybe", too. Sega's self-destructive inner management and Microsoft's bullheadedness could've led to it's own hilarious disasters in another timeline.

It's fun to think about. lol

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    lol, then yall would complain about reused assets all over the place. The reason why they can put out so many Yakuzas is that most of them take place in the same set of city blocks with all the reuse that can entail, which gives them the ability to put in new content at a nuts pace

9. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Yeah they even reuse the same arcade games over and over just to save time. I don't think the person who said this has played any Yakuza games.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is correct, I did not realize Yakuza games require minimal effort. My b :V

11. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Regarding Microsoft's momentum in Japan, didn't they just sell out of preorders for the Xbox series X and S in Japan?

12. MH MD

MH MD

Outdated information, Xbox Series X/S actually sold out in Japan in pre orders, and its one of the top sellers in amazon JP right now

Yes. they just also said that Japan is the fastest growing market

Like i don't think it will outperform other consoles or anything but it seems doing better than before by a lot

13. MH MD

MH MD

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So what the hell else would they have talked about?

Sega ffs throw us a bone here

15. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Glad I didn't let myself get excited or have anticipation of information is all I have to say

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yo dawg it's been like nearly 7 months since that SXSW conference was supposed to happen. I know a global pandemic has set back a lot of development in every industry, but even then almost everything has continued to move along with being made regardless.

It made sense to have info delayed by 3-5 months considering how it's been, but it's been over half a year. What's up?

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

IIRC, Aaron said a month or two ago it's because Sega was really happy about the presentation they'd had planned, but since the pandemic struck they haven't had an opportunity to present it the way they'd intended. The vibe I got was that Sega's basically still trying to figure out how to present it without losing the stuff they were happy about.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Sigh. Yeah, it's part of how the Sonic social media rolls out announcements, for better or worse. Despite other companies these days just revealing their games whenever they feel like it (a method I far prefer), Sonic PR has made their entire career the past several titles off of stringing people along for months and months and months to slow burn the hype for big reveals.

If that's what is holding it back then siiiigh. Come the fuck on, guys. lol

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So fucking present it a different way. If something cancels an event the response usually isn't "let's wait til we can do it next year." Adapt and figure something else out like every other company. Make a Nintendo direct esq thing, which would be better anyway because it's kinda bull to save stuff for a panel only 100 or so people can attend. But that's a really shitty excuse. "We liked our old idea" should not mean radio silence for 7 months.

20. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The end of covid will mark the dawn of a new day. What could be better than celebrating this with some new games? :specialed: (<- Read that in the voice of the Nintendo Direct announcer) Life goes on behind the scenes, don't try to tell me otherwise. I feel incredibly grateful for having a computer at home, yeah, but I'm also extremely frustrated with how everything that came before the pandemic seems to be put to halt.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.