don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    [​IMG]
    Even Woody in his low budget Yogi Bear-rippin' film looked better than Realism Sonic.

2. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I don't know if my brain is just working overtime or maybe it's due to the poor image quality but it kind of looks like he has buck teeth??

3. Xilla

Xilla

Did they take some inspiration from the 1992 Capital FM Radio Roadshow?

[​IMG]

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think it's poor image quality. If anything to me it looks like he has no teeth and his mouth is just some black void.

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I think being a Sonic fan is a decent primer for accepting abusive in a relationship. Constantly holding out for things to improve when they never do. Pining for the old days of infatuation, before everything went to hell. Glimmers of hope, inevitably followed by being let down. Eventually you lose all concept of self respect, because only a loser would put up with the abuse for so long. I'm not talking physical abuse mind you, just psychological.

Yup, it's all SEGA's fault...

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well, Naka is strongly on our side at least, and fighting our corner:

More at the source here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-03-06/sonic-the-hedgehog-creator-shocked-by-leaked-movie-designs/.144242

Also interestingly enough, that same link says the film opens November 8 in the US but December 26 in the UK. So looks like us Brits have to wait an extra two months. Though that could be a blessing given the film's likely not going to be any good. :v:

The Twitter buzz by the way was that the film is allegedly "good". But after the reveal of this design I'm having a hard time believing that.

7. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I'm sure Sega's not too thrilled about it either. They don't seem to have had much control once Paramount picked things up.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I think they're probably devastated even at the heart of Sega and at the very top - at least to a certain extent. Their CEO went on record in interviews saying that internally at Sega they had a lot of hope and ambition riding on the movie, and so far it has just been profoundly bad buzz since the poster reveal last year and anyone with any connection to Sonic, like Naka and ex-Sonic Team members, condemning the movie. It just screams "clueless executive meddling" from Paramount that has ruined many a film before and has likely ruined this one.

Even the story strikes me as the mind of someone that knows successful films from the eighties and yet nothing about Sonic, whether it be the games or his legacy. This is a licensing situation similar to Shenmue 3 I think, in that Sega have no control or input other than handing over the brand to Paramount and it shows. The difference being that with Shenmue 3 it's Yu Suzuki and his ex-AM2 staff in charge whilst here we have Paramount and idiotic executives that no nothing about video games or the character steering the ship in to an ice berg.

I will be shocked if this gets anything other than a mauling in reviews, but still want to see it out of morbid curiosity and Jim Carrey.

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

These supposed leaks, this close to SXSW... Yep, no coincidence at all. At least, not in my book.
    Even if those arts and renders turn out to be either fanmade or beta versions, the fire has been lit, and the potential first trailer may drive the final nail in the movie's coffin.
    It's quite saddening to see this happen, again, since I actually wanted to see a realistic Sonic in action, as long as it was properly portrayed, like the Pokémon in Detective Pikachu.
    The last time I got this disappointed was with Dragon Ball Evolution, another massive failure to fans of stories born in Japan.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well, the most we can do is hope for a Battle of Gods-style response from people who know a little more about what Sonic is supposed to be, namely...almost anyone else.

11. Retroman

Retroman

This is legit nightmare fuel

I can't wait for JonTron in 2020 to review this movie

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I made a poll on my twitter and facebook account asking if Ken Penders' artwork was better or worse than the movie design. I've had only two people vote for the movie design across both polls so far. I personally think Ken Penders' work is worse, but I'm sure many of you agree with me. Just imagine if they had him make the movie design! :v: Also the new leaked image still reminds me of Alvin, and I'm still not impressed. That thing is nightmare fuel!

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Let's just all try and keep in mind that most people are not going to be anywhere near as critical as we are. It's entirely possible to that the average parent with child won't give a crap about all this, and on balance the film could be a “success” or “good”. Obviously these type of movies keep being made for a reason. I for one think the Ninja Turtle design is a disgusting abomination, but it's almost impossible for people like us to look as this objectively, from the perspective of whomever Paramount might have in mind for the audience. The voice talent seems decent too. So with the right personality and animation it could even be cute. Who knows. From an outsiders perspective it might not be that bad. But come on guys, we are totally used to this by now, right?!

14. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Lots of people have argued that Sonic's design is the biggest reason he's survived his darkest periods. Which, honestly, makes a lot of sense to me.
    How brain dead are the executives running this movie?

15. Powpuck

Powpuck

I'm curious how Tails and Knuckles designs turned out. Like if gloves are off the table will Knuckles have grotesquely enlarged actual knuckles?

Is a What Does the Fox Say reference inevitable?

Will Carrey talk out of his robuttnik?

16. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Case in point with the story: they seem to be treating the rings as the MacGuffin, as opposed to like... the Chaos Emeralds. Or how they went with "Green Hills".

It's like the story was cut from someone's experience with the franchise being playing Sonic 2 for five minutes back in the 90s and nothing more.

I understand that changes have to be made in adaptations and I'm not like a diehard purist (especially since this isn't really based on any specific story), but man, they needed at least one diehard fan on the staff here.

17. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Here's your Tails ;)
    [​IMG]

18. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I'll be having lots of nightmares. That's creepy. Tails Doll (Sonic R) meet the live action Tails (STH Movie 2019). *Tails Doll bursts into flames*

19. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    For the record, that image is originally from a collection of very poor quality taxidermied animals that has been doing the rounds for a few years now.

20. Frostav

Frostav

Bold of you all to assume that Tails, Knuckles, or literally anyone but Eggman and Sonic will show up in this movie.