don't click here

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimera, Aug 29, 2017.

1. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    well i checked hidden palace. and theres no extra objects in the object folder and nothing thats in the stage config that doesn't match whats in the sprite folder. not sure what the "You've already found the arena" means. if it was me specifically? though everything else he talked about was stuff i did find. so its hard to imagine him referencing someone else. plus I've never gone into the hidden reef beta. so if he was referencing stuff I've found that wouldn't be on the list. i did send a tweet, well I've been sending tweets in hope that maybe I can get another clue.
    https://twitter.com/Codenamegamma/status/913157812657598464

maybe it will turn something up as I'm at a loss here.

2. EyeKey

EyeKey

He responded to your tweet. So as he hinted, I checked the scene file of PSZ1.bin, there is an extra layer that is called "Print Source". It is an empty 512x512 tiles layer.

EDIT: I inspected the code of this object. It copies tiles from that layer! So if you edit this layer, I guess that it will paint whatever there is in that layer.

Some more information:
    Three of the attributes for SP500 are srcC srcM and srcY. Those are 3 positions in the Print Source. It is where to copy tiles from the Print Source layer. It choose between C M and Y depending on the current Ink or something like that. So each Ink can paint another picture.

3. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    With Eyekey's help we were able to get it working fully. so here is a small demo video i made so if you like you can get an idea of whats going on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWHCzo60XnM

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    So I've been working on that music mod, and I'm not sure how, but I managed to get it working. All that needs to be done to finish it up is figure out which SMPS music to match with each of Mania's songs. I've set up a form so you can help me do just that.

5. Tanks

Tanks

Hah that's awesome! Don't want to be that guy... But it'd be super cool if certain skilled people took up the mantel and got a custom SMPS Mania soundtrack going :).

That said, it's hard to find equivalents with what we've got now. Definitely starting a write-in campaign for Volcano Valley for Mirage Saloons 1K and 2. I remember replacing the music in Tax's original rendition of "Dust Hill" waaaaaaay back when with Volcano Valley and it fit almost too perfectly.

Also, I suggested a crackers song somewhere in there (I know it's not on the main list). Is crackers also available? Trying to remember if that's SMPS or not.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It is SMPS, but I don't technically have support for it. The DLL is hardcoded to only emulate S1/S2, S3, S&K, and S3D. In order to add Crackers, I'd either have to get Valley Bell to add another engine or change the songs to use one of the existing drumsets (I did this before in KEH with the S1/S2 set).

An entirely custom soundtrack could be possible, but it would probably require a completely custom drum set.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Too bad that my ancient Cube to Smps converter gives terrible results, otherwise I'd give you some songs from Mean Bean Machine for the Puyo Puyo boss. + - We need a cubeplay dll.  

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well Lil-G did a decent enough job with the "Configuration" music for KEH, so I'm sure someone would be able to, if I add custom music support.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, if I drop the mass-converted Cube songs here, notes and instruments would all be there, someone talented enough would only need to reimplement the volume changes (for which I can provide textual informations) and the pitch bends (which, unfortunately, would be next to impossible to replicate). I really wish ValleyBell could look into Cube since he's magic, but that's for another topic.

If I'm needed you know where to look.

10. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Can the write-in themes be whatever we want?

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    They should be one from the list at the top.

12. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Just curious. When I saw the intro themes listed, my first thought was admittedly "Sonic CD intro themes" despite the SMPS intention.

13. Allactaga

Allactaga

Is there a way to edit Super palettes?
    [​IMG]
    I've been able to edit Knuckles and Sonic's colors just fine, but it seems like there's a duplicate of their original palettes that is used when they begin their transformation. I would also like to change Tails' and Knuckles' "fade" palette from their standard color to an almost white, light version of their Super color, like Sonic has. I'm hoping the fade palette of Tails and Knuckles use a 3rd copy of their normal palette, and not the 2nd one used by the brief transformation sprites.

As for finishing recoloring Sonic, there's a another duplicate of Sonic's palette I can manipulate with the palette editor, which is used by his life icon, his goal post portrait, and his Blue Spheres sprite, but it's also used by numerous other things in the game such as Flicky, the spiked blue obstacles, blue spheres, and the checkpoint ball, so I don't want to edit that one directly. Would it be possible to attach a custom palette to a specific sprite to bypass this issue? I would also like to recolor the title screen and menu art.

14. RandomTBush

RandomTBush

Yep, it's definitely possible, but it'll have to be done through hex editing for now. Data/Objects/36D61A3DE508B500AE0ECF8D33F32943.bin has the palettes.

All are stored in 4-bit RGB format, and are assuming you're using the most recent files (v1.03, remove 0x05 if you're using an older version's).
    Code (Text):
    1. 0x3C2 = Sonic
    2. 0x413 = Tails
    3. 0x464 = Knuckles
    4. 0x4B5 = Sonic (Hydrocity, Underwater)
    5. 0x506 = Tails (Hydrocity, Underwater)
    6. 0x557 = Knuckles (Hydrocity, Underwater)
    7. 0x5A8 = Sonic (Chemical Plant, Underwater)
    8. 0x5F9 = Tails (Chemical Plant, Underwater)
    9. 0x64A = Knuckles (Chemical Plant, Underwater)
    10. * (Green Hill's underwater palette as such doesn't exist)
    First six palette shades are for their default palette (needs to match their actual palette or else there'll be an inconsistency), second six are for Super Sonic only (and are ignored for Tails/Knuckles!), and the third is for the Super pulse.

And if you wanted the other elements to not share the same shade of blue as Sonic, just make sure you recolour those to use the other set of blue shades instead, you can edit the sheets' palettes temporarily if you need to double-check.

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    How many palette banks does mania have available during each level?

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

What determines how a gif loads correctly in Mania? I have been doing HUD edits to make the in-game UI more like Sonic 3 and Sonic CD in two separate mods, but suddenly my CD-style mod's got its special stage results entirely garbled like the gif or formatting killed itself. I've been editing with GIMP 2 so far and had none of these problems arise until now.

17. EyeKey

EyeKey

So I wrote a quick script to get a list of all the unused objects:
    Acetone
    AnimalHBH
    BadnikHelpers
    Ball
    Batbot
    Bomb
    Bubbler
    Caterkiller
    ColorHelpers
    CompetitionSession
    CutsceneRules
    DrawHelpers
    E3MenuSetup
    EggJanken
    EggJankenPart
    Fireball
    Ink
    InkWipe
    LogHelpers
    MathHelpers
    MonkeyDude
    Newspaper
    Orbinaut
    ParticleHelpers
    Pendulum
    PlayerHelpers
    Redz
    SpearBlock
    Stegway
    TargetBumper
    WallCrawl
    Wisp

And here is a list of objects that are mentioned in some stages, but don't have any entity, and don't have any code that do static things (only per-instance things): (most of this list is false-positives)
    Announcer
    BSS_Collected
    BSS_HUD
    BSS_Horizon
    BSS_Message
    BSS_Player
    BSS_Setup
    BurningLog
    ChemBubble
    Competition
    DAControl
    Debris
    DebugMode
    DemoMenu
    ERZGunner
    ERZKing
    ERZMystic
    ERZRider
    ERZShinobi
    Explosion
    FXExpandRing
    FXSpinRay
    GHZCutsceneK
    GameOver
    GameProgress
    HCZSpikeBall
    Hatterkiller
    HiLoSign
    Hotaru
    InvincibleStars
    JunctionWheel
    KingAttack
    LRZ1Outro
    LRZ3Cutscene
    LocoSmoke
    LogoSetup
    MSOrb
    MenuParam
    OOZFlames
    PKingAttack
    PSZ2Outro
    PhantomHand
    PhantomShield
    PlayerProbe
    PopcornKernel
    Projectile
    PuyoAttack
    Reagent
    SP500
    SP500MkII
    SSZ3Cutscene
    ScoreBonus
    SeltzerWater
    Shield
    SilverSonic
    SparkRail
    SpeedGate
    SpiralPlatform
    Stalactite
    SuperSparkle
    Sweep
    SwitchDoor
    TMZ1Outro
    TMZ2Outro
    ThanksSetup
    ThoughtBubble
    TitleSetup
    UFO_HUD
    UFO_Message
    UIDialog
    UIWaitSpinner

And here is a list of those who doesn't have any entity, have code for static instances, but also have code for entities:
    APICallback
    CheckerBall
    CutsceneSeq
    DrillerdroidO
    GreenScreen
    LevelSelect
    LoveTester
    MSZSetup
    MenuSetup
    PauseMenu
    PuyoBean
    SPZ2Setup
    TMZ1Setup
    UFO_Setup
    UberCaterkiller

18. codenamegamma

codenamegamma

Tech Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nhmaBzN6dE

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    http://youtu.be/gaVHGF5JOtw

This mod allows you to choose between playing a random normal stage, a random original Blue Sphere stage, a random Mania stage, or any combination of the three by editing config.ini.

Download: https://github.com/MainMemory/ManiaRandomBonus/releases

20. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    I don't understand. How you would defeat this one without taking damage