don't click here

Sonic Mania: Hacking Discussion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chimera, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Out of curiosity, is there an easy way to know what mods work with the Denuvo-removal update? I never did get around to trying out the various mods, and for some reason suddenly got the urge to try out some of the custom levels that people made, like the Endless Mine or Misfit Pack.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Any mod that has been updated since the update went out will work, otherwise, if the mod includes custom code (via DLL or code .lst/.xml) or edits Data\Game\GameConfig.bin (basically anything that modifies the common palette for characters and such), it won't work.

3. Axanery

Axanery

I've been requested many times to start making Mania Modding tutorials. So today, I just made my first episode of a Mania Modding video tutorial series on YouTube. This video teaches you how to install mods and make mod folders. Future tutorials will be more advanced. I'll post in this thread every time a new video comes out if that's alright.
    You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl2pKkaqklY

4. MegsTheMarvelous

MegsTheMarvelous

The Most Marvelous of being Marvelous Hacked Account
    As this is is my first post as a trial member, I'd love to thank you for creating a tutorial series for modding Mania. I've got a few level mod ideas in mind, but have no idea how I coud make them a reality, so thank you for this!

5. Axanery

Axanery

You're very welcome. I also forgot to update with two new episodes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oxISJxgBc4 (Extraction of the game and use the data folder method of loading) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgOKpU6Mdq4 (Turning on the dev menu and using secret options)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Apologies for the bump, but is there a mod for this game to keep Max Control enabled at all times? I know it's an available cheat on the Mod Loader, but I need a individual mod version of it so I can use it on the Switch.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Uh, that's editing the game's memory. You're not going to get that on Switch unless there's something in the GameConfig.bin or something that can set that.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    It looks like there's memory-altering codes you can use for the Switch with EdiZon, but no dice on finding a pre-existing Max Control one. I'm a brainlet that can't into numbers but these look pretty simple; would I be able to copy the PC version's code over some way?

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    No. You'd have to reverse engineer the game/use some kind of cheat search to find the proper address in the Steam version.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Damn, that's a shame. I guess I'll just have to live with putting the cheat code in every time. Thanks for advising anyway. At least all my other mods are working.

11. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Kinda big bump for a small question I haven't been able to find anyone asking anywhere.

In Metallic Madness Act 2, the chambers that turn characters around to put them in the background/foreground seem to have incorrect coordinates set for Mighty and Ray, as they consistently shift two and three pixels back, respectively, after being turned around. This is most visible when their turnaround animation stops on the normal idle frame.

I've made gifs of Sonic, Knuckles, Mighty, and Ray to demonstrate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At first, this appears to be an issue with positioning on Mighty and Ray's turnaround animations, considering they're also displaced on the twisting platforms in Hydrocity, but they're only one and two pixels displaced on them.

[​IMG]

Sonic and Knuckles' sprites are properly centered in both contexts (for Knuckles, as properly as they can be, as they're uneven in width, which is the case for Ray as well), so why the inconsistency?

Is there any documentation on player coordinates in relation to either object in either zone? This has been bugging me for days in editing Mighty's sprites, and I'd like to fix it.

12. Fadaway

Fadaway

I have a question of my own. I'm no stranger to hacking at all. I hacked Sonic 1 once (nothing special, just layouts and palettes) and I've hacked Super Mario World. I wouldn't mind getting into Sonic Mania hacking some. I rarely have free time. I'm rusty at thethacking these days I will admit. I spend most of my time working on animation. But, I definitely do want to try a Mania hack out or two or three one of these days. So...I downloaded the mod loader thingamajig. You are supposed to extract into the Mania folder or whatever. Well, I get corrupted messages each time. Won't let me unpack that thing. Any advice? The same thing happened with the Chemical Plant Zone extra parallax mod I downloaded. It doesn't extract either. I even renewed 7-zip thinking maybe there was an issue with my software. Still nothing. Says the file is damaged or something. So, what should I do? IdI love to check out some of the mods that have been going around for a while.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  13. Deef

Deef

I'm guessing this doesn't exist, but if it does I'm not sure where else to ask:

Does anyone know if there's a mod that applies Sonic 3's insta-shieldy style of control?
    Ie., no control for rolling jumps, insta-shield that returns that control, and a radius buff on the move (if one can dream).

14. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Sonic Mania for Sprites there when shield and tool where does is export for the level data?

Is this a thing?