don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Ah, Archie Sonic comics, I hardly knew ye.

I can't remember exactly when I got into these (definitely after Flynn took over), but I almost always found them enjoyable. It's sad to see them go but it's the best move for everyone really (except Penders lul) so now Archie Comics can get on with their own things while SEGA gets to continue the comics with a more than reputable publisher without any of the old baggage. Regarding transplanting the Archie cast (Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor, etc.), I kind of want to see them come over but at the same time maybe it's best with a fresh start. That said, I hope Flynn and Yardley (as well as the other popular mainstays) get brought over and continue to create unique and inspiring stories. Even after the infamous mandates SEGA imposed (such as Sonic never being allowed to lose properly), the team still kept the stories interesting, such as focusing on new areas during the Unleashed arc. Ultimately I hope the new comics starts with a fresh original story before perhaps diving into game adaptations.

2. Misinko

Misinko

Bettering the world, one bugfix at a time! Member
    Cornland, USA
    Sonic 2 SMS Cleanup
    Honestly, I'd prefer it if Sonic's Caravan of Furry Friends didn't follow him into the IDW series. It just caused confusion and unnecessary "drama" plotlines that mucked up the quality of the entire comic. Don't get me wrong, I love Flynn's writing, and I think he single-handedly wrote the characters better than any writer had done in the 20 years before he stepped up to the plate, but not even he was safe from all petty drama; infighting; and romantic undertones that were heaved onto his plate (the Sonic vs Tails arc painfully comes to mind). Let the Archie characters stay in Archie. I want to see what a Sonic series without 20-something years of baggage can do, and I really want to see IDW's take on the Sonic series instead of the Archie Sonic series.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Although I very much agree with this, it would be nice to see them individually cameo later on in the series' run as minor characters (that recur occasionally at the most).

4. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

I felt even before I became aware of the comic that the SatAM characters were a poor fit for Sonic. Some great things were done with them and that universe once Ian took over, but I wouldn't be sad to see them go.

Now, I don't plan on really keeping up with the new comic either way, so if we're counting votes, you can throw mine out.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Here's a question then. Should Sonic have a new cast of randos or should his friends mostly consist of the main cast? And on that topic, here's another question. What will happen with Mighty, Ray, Nack, Bean, and Bark? The comic was the only thing that gave them any life and I love what Ian did with all the characters (I think Bean and Bark first showed up on Ian's first issue for the series in fact). It'd be sad to see them go.

6. Misinko

Misinko

Bettering the world, one bugfix at a time! Member
    Cornland, USA
    Sonic 2 SMS Cleanup
    The one thing I agree with Penders on is that comics need a steady cast of characters to keep things "fresh" so to speak. As much as everyone loves Joker, I know that everyone collectively huffed when he came back in Arkham Knight. I personally think Sonic's "core" group of friends should be the ones we see in the games. That's not to say side characters can't appear or get some spotlight, but the main focus shouldn't be taken away from the core heroes in the same way the core focus isn't taken away from the Batfamilly in Batman.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Game characters will almost certainly be the main focus, given a role of the comic is also to promote Sega's titles. The question is how obscure they're willing to go with the characters - it's not like Bean or Bark have any sort of Archie claims on them.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No they don't, but outside of some wanted posters Sega seems to have all but forgotten about those guys. Also curious, if they choose to use Mighty, Ray, etc will they redesign them again or will they use the Archie redesigns? I wonder how official those were?

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Ian's first issue was #160 if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Yeah, Bean and Bark crash Sonic's party.

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

https://twitter.com/ArchieComics/status/894923808460722176

Welp, there he goes. The best writer to grace the Sonic series. It was a good run.

11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

That doesn't confirm he's not gonna do Sonic for IDW.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No but judging from his Twitter he has a fair amount on his plate at the moment. Would he have time to write another comic on top of the 5 other things he's doing?

Plus, at this point he has 10 years of Sonic under his belt. Maybe he doesn't want to write Sonic stuff for a while, at least not in a major capacity. I mean he was given the task of fixing a very broken world, then had to invent an entirely new world, and then he'd have to make another entirely new world. I can imagine that'd be exhausting.

13. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Gonna put that comment under "doesn't know shit about the comics industry".

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya that's fair, I don't really know a whole lot about the comic industry. I just know Flynn's been churning out Sonic stuff for 10 years now.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    As long as he's freelance, he can write for any company. And while he's got a lot of work, I doubt he'd turn down the opportunity to work on the franchise he loves. Or, yknow, turn down the money. When you're any kind of freelancer you never know when you'll have a dry spell.

16. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    To add to this, I distinctly remember Ian mentioning years ago on his forum that he always keeps looking to write for as many comics as possible. This is because the job of a comic book writer is in general not very well paid at all, and working on only one or two comics will cause him to literally starve.

Edit: And before anyone says it, no, this isn't just Archie being scrooges. Wages are low across the comic book industry, and even having a famous name won't help. For example, Don Rosa was both a writer and a penciller, and his publisher frequently used his name in promotions of comics he worked on. Yet, he never received any royalties and his wage was so incredibly low that people acted shocked upon learning about it.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Inked pages for the unreleased Sonic #291 (Genesis of a Hero 4: Sonic 3 & Knuckles) and #292 are being sold by Tracey Yardley on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122649091997?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

So if you want to pay for pieces of now lost Sonic history now's your chance.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    most likely someone on 4chan is going to gobble all those just to scan it. love to see the 4th part reconstructed even if its textless.

19. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    I'm now curious how far 293 was into completion.

Inked most likely not, but it could be at least penciled.

I'm also hoping we'll one day get to see the Sonic Universe issues. Blaze the Cat was supposed to debut in the post-reboot universe. :(

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Uh, she did. In Universe #55.