don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Aleah & I were amazed we got away with it being so blatant.[/quote]
    [/quote]

It didn't involve shipping Sally with Sonic, so no one noticed or cared. :v

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Was this before or after the reboot? They just seemed like friends to me.

3. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Aleah & I were amazed we got away with it being so blatant.[/quote]
    [/quote]
    FUCK
    I KNEW IT
    IM SO MAD THE COMIC IS CANCELLED NOW

Really though Nicole is like my favorite comic character. I'm a sucker for "AI learning to be human" stories.
    I'm really really upset that my ship was going to be canon but never got to be.

Where were you for Spark of Life?

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Watching them be good, life long friends. Have I mentioned I'm not much of a romantic?

5. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Noobie question time - (Google and Wikis ain't helping too much this time.)

I've been meaning to ask, is there a summary of all the plot points that got dropped as a result of the soft-reboot? (and I guess the Penders drama leading up to the reboot, as I know characters had to get dropped even before the Genesis Wave)

I'm in a weird spot with the comic where I read the early material up to the SA1 adaptation, and then jumped right ahead to post-reboot territory where it's been great, but I've always been meaning to go back and re-read the whole thing, questionable pre-Ian plot and all. It would be nice to know what aspects of the original story had to get swept under the rug in the end and what actually got resolved before shit hit the fan.

Also, if the pre-reboot stuff ended abruptly, is there a good 'stopping point' before then? I recall from scanning through the Xorda plotline, it seemed like it was wrapping up a whole bunch of story, but |'m just guessing at this point (I get the impression every 50 issues is some sort of big 'end of story arc')

(Also feel free to ignore this post, as it is literally "Spoonfeed Me: The Forum Post", and hearing exciting behind-the-scenes news straight from Ian Flynn's mouth is something I don't want to distract from too much!) :v:

6. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    Never thought I'd see someone say this here so fast.
    I absolutely agree, she has practically been the main point of my interest in Archie's Sonic comics.

On the other hand, I have zero interest in shippings.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So from what I remember pre reboot, the following plot points were dropped:

1. The entire Mecha Sally arch (post reboot she's just back to normal)
    2. Bunnie defecting and joining the Dark Egg Legion to A. join her Uncle and B. gain her cybernetics back. Although it's worth noting that this was just implied, that story never had a chance to really start (post reboot she was in the Egg Army but that was just a cover to grab something from Metropolis Zone, whole thing is wrapped up in an issue)
    3. Antoine was in a coma (this was just dropped)
    4. Team Freedom (Rotor, Cream, Big, and Bomb/Heavy) was fighting a mutated Tails doll that was some kinda dick/balls/vagina monster (that's what it was). (Sonic and Tails kill the Tails doll monster within the first 3 pages of the reboot. Oddly Heavy/Bomb just never showed up post reboot)
    5. Secret Freedom Fighters were trying to take down Naugus (This was just dropped as this arc contained mostly original the characters that were axed)
    6. Silver was trying to find the traitor that destroyed his future (This was dropped, Silver's future was entirely rewritten post reboot)
    7. Naugus possessed Geoffrey and was still trying to gain complete control over the kingdom (Naugus just ran away from the castle after touching Nicole post reboot)
    8. Knuckles was trying to find a way to bring back all of Penders' friends (This was pre reboot though, as the Endangered Species arc was rewritten on the fly to make the Echidnas vanish).
    9ish. Snively was locked away in an Egg Prison aboard the Death Egg. I don't know if there was ever any intention of bringing him back up again though, as the entire arc seemed to be a way to write him out of the comic and replace him with Orbot and Cubot (post reboot this was dropped as his character was entirely rewritten. He now only worked for Eggman in the Sonic 1 - 3K days, was no longer related to him, and was now a rogue G.U.N. scientist renamed Julian Snively rather than Snively Robotnik)

All of these wrap ups were done in like the first 4 or 5 issues of the reboot, as they had to kind of explain the new universe and how it connected with the old one, as it wasn't a complete reboot (which would have been simpler). A lot of merged events and revised history occurred, like for example, SatAM Robotnik and SatAM King Acorn are now represented by Genesis Robotnik and a redesigned King Acorn, although their story is very similar, save for it taking place just before/during Sonic 1. After those 4 or 5 issues the characters mostly forget the old universe ever existed, and even then only some of the characters were made aware of the old universe, mainly Sonic, Tails, Sally, Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor, and I think Amy. Obviously they made it so that Knuckles had no knowledge of the old universe lol

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    *saved*
    Cheers, this is the exact kind of info I been looking for. Now I have a better idea of how to approach the plotlines when I do eventually get to reading. Bonus thanks for writing the post-reboot outcomes. Some of those conclusions actually sound amusing.

9. Quintessential

Quintessential

While I never really got into the Archie series, it is a little sad that it's over. I have rather fond memories of looking at the issue covers on the old Sonic HQ fansite and viewing scattered scans all over the web as a kid; I really wanted to read the comics back then, but I didn't know where to buy them, so that was, like, the closest thing I could have done to reading them, lol. I did get two volumes of the Archives compilations in 2007, and while I recall enjoying what I read, they didn't really make me interested in any subsequent volumes. More recently, though, I read some of the Mega Drive issues and quite enjoyed it. Felt very true to the Genesis games, from what I remember.

But yeah, I'm a lot more interested in the upcoming IDW series. Really hoping for a comic that's very close to the games.

10. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I just hope Nicole still exists in the new comic. Like, holo-lynx Nicole, not smartphone Nicole.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/so-long-sonic-13360608?utm_campaign=postshare&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Might be worth keeping an eye on Tracy Yardley's Patreon account. He's going to be sharing some of the art he drew during the comic, including some stuff that he drew that never saw the light of day due to the book being cancelled. Might be interesting.

12. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Fuuuuck

I wasn't ready for how that cover art made me feel

I'm really going to miss these comics

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya that cover really does sum things up pretty well doesn't it :v:

I really hope IDW picks up some of the former Archie Sonic staff. Some really talented artists/writer (pretty sure Ian was the only writer since issue 160 with few exceptions) and it'd be unfortunate to see them all thrown to the curb. At the same time though Ian and Tracy have been working on the comic now for more than 10 years. If fatigue is setting in and they don't want to work on the comic, that's totally understandable, especially for Ian given all the crap he had to go through to make the comic Sega compliant and, well, readable. But he'd get to start fresh this time so at least there's that, even if it is the 3rd Sonic world he'd be building.

14. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I might have said this before, but fuck it, I'm saying it again.

Ian is the only writer I'd trust with Sonic. It doesn't matter if it's comics, games, tv, etc.
    He has been the only writer in recent years to make a Sonic story that A) takes itself seriously, and B) is good.
    It's a shame that the rumor about him writing Forces ended up being false. It could have been awesome.

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I'd be over the moon if ANY of the Archie staff from the last 10 years were pulled aboard. Flynn, Yardley, Baker, Gray, Spaz... would love to see J. Axer and Stephen Butler return as well. I know Tyson Hesse at least probably has his hands full now at Nickelodeon, but it sure would be awesome to see him continue.

I REALLY want to see what kind of stuff Flynn would be capable of fully unleashed since he doesn't have to deal with Archie's legal landmines and continuities wracked with problems anymore.

16. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

The world is not ready for Ian's full power.
    He would write a Sonic game with a great story and then it would be the end of days.

17. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Tyson Hesse has been the first Sonic comic artist to catch my attention and imagination in 18 years. His manga approach to Sonic's design feels authentic and timeless. I just can't say enough positive things about his work. I would love to see him remain with Sonic in basically any creative capacity.

18. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Aleah & I were amazed we got away with it being so blatant.[/quote]
    [/quote]
    Ian's fanfiction/agenda was quite obvious (moreso than Penders influence IMHO) and why I could not stand the comic anymore. The fans ate it up too, so I was glad to jump ship when I did.

19. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Hah, "ship".

Anyway hell yeah I'll eat up a potentially-canon f/f relationship

20. Felik

Felik

Yeah, don't you just love when a canonically straight female character suddenly turns out to be bi just for the sake of fan pandering.