don't click here

Sega Forever

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by High Fidelity, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Latest update allows for offline play for people who owned original games.

2. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I've been having the same problem. The only difference is, it's still not working, even after the so-called "update".

EDIT: Nevermind, it's working now.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It looks like the Sonic remakes have lost the capital T in "The Hedgehog" with this makeover, by the way.

SEGA Forever don't know their SEGA.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

They arguably know English, though. You do not capitalize "the" proceeding a proper noun, which "Hedgehog" is in this case.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sonic's case is the exception:

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Actually, that means that, grammatically, both "Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Sonic The Hedgehog" would be correct.

7. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    There were people inside Sega saying that the emulation wasn't up to scratch and wouldn't pass muster with enthusiastic retro gamers. On RG, we weren't impressed when we got preview builds, and provided feedback regarding the performance. As far as I can tell, nothing was done to improve emulation since we gave that feedback.

It's infuriating because the idea of adopting the Spotify model for classic games is sound - if you want to stop people just flat-out pirating your old games, giving free and convenient official access is a great way to do it. But it's all for nothing if the user has a poor experience with that official product.

8. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    This doesn't really bode well for SEGA games from other consoles if they can't even get good Mega Drive emulation straight. If they don't improve it anytime soon they're going to have a gigantic mess on their hands. They'd have a chunk of games that don't work well that they'd have to go back to fix. Especially since these are running in Unity so they can port it to everything... and do zero optimization means we get bloated file sizes along with the awful performance.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Which is made worse since they're individual releases instead of running from one same, centralized hub/emulator.

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

The Mega Drive emulation and set up on the redone Steam version of their collection package worked fine (buy the games and they are added to the single app), why didn't they just copy that model? Baffling.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They won't be emulating anything post-Mega Drive. It takes too much effort.

Sega have never tried to emulate the Saturn or Dreamcast. They don't even seem to like touching Dreamcast code - they've always preferred using the PC or PS2 versions of games as a base (which in a move that still confuses me to this day includes Dreamcast Collection... a collection of not-technically-Dreamcast Dreamcast games).

I would not be surprised if the sole Saturn representative is that 2008 PS2 version of NiGHTS again.

Though I'd be wary saying it's strictly an emulation issue pushing down frame rates. I haven't seen this thing in action, but when I first heard "Unity", my initial response is that they're probably pushing pixels to the screen in an overly bloated and stupid manner. I bet there's tons of pointless overhead.

i.e. the actual emulation is probably fine, it's just the rendering part.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Using Unity in this way makes no sense, I had the exact same reaction. Assuming these emulators use OpenGL ES, there are a million better ways to do this than using unity. Hell, just using an immediate mode UI would be massively superior. And there is a terrific, free Immediate Mode UI by Bock (aka Omar Cornut of Meka, Wonderboy, and Media Molecule fame) called Dear-IMGUI that can be plopped into any openGL/DirectX/SDL/Etc renderer in like 10 minutes.

13. Not sure if anyone's played with controllers on any of these games but there's a heavy delay in Sonic 1 Remastered now, at least on my Note 4. Was using one of the 8bitdo controllers and haven't had any problem with delays for any other game (including Sonic, prior to the update.)
    So... rip the remasters I guess.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

No delay on the Nvidia Shield portable, although those controllers are hardwired to the display and aren't connected via bluetooth.

EDIT: And technically are recognized as a keyboard, instead

15. That makes sense. To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if my phone itself is part of the problem, but it's worth noting that neither of these problems were present prior to the SEGA Forever update.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Just tried again on an ancient Note II with a MOGA Pro, and yeah, I'm getting input lag too :(

No input lag at all if I use the touch screen controls, by contrast.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The other question to consider is why Altered Beast is a 161MB download on iOS. The ROM itself being 512kB.

This is apparently nearly three times the size of its Android counterpart. What is it doing?

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    How much space does that annoying SEGA intro video take, anyway? Is it the reason why the Sonic remakes need more free space now?

Are you sure? Kid Chameleon for Android was around 100 Mb total when I checked.

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hope Sega have their people on this and are working on a swift fix. Disastrous launch thus far and this needs to be resolved.

20. ccateni

ccateni

Yeah, on Android, all five games are in the store (but sonic 2 and sonic cd aren't in the app store).