don't click here

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Faseeh

Faseeh

So I'm compiling a list to make music modding easier, with all the names of the level and their corresponding music files.

Interestingly, Windy Hill 2 is broken into two channels and as far as I know, this is the one track in the whole game that does that. No idea why, but thought I'd share.

Oh, and Hidden Zone 1 has 6 tracks of varying speed and 1 final 'wind-down' track.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So while making my Nonexistent six mod, I came across a dilemma. What to do with Lava Mountain Act 1? Since it's just a stupid boss rush level it has no place in my mod. I've decided to make the level a meteor dodge level. I've upped the frequency of the falling rocks, deleted all the rings, and changed the level's clear condition to have the level finish when time runs out. So yea, dodge rocks for a minute. Does that seem like a decent idea to you guys?

3. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Seems like they took this into consideration, because in Time Attack mode (apparently; haven't tested it out myself) the act ends once you clear all six sides of the cube. Which makes it odd that the S-Rank time is so high:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqLSozY-zjM&t=1m30s
    you can see it at about 1:30 in the video here. Wonder why they disabled the Time Attack mode for these levels? Makes me curious about the DLC.

Also, yeah, the Lava Mountain 1 change sounds cool to me.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six Edition

Click below for the readme information
    This hack aims to remove all the deadly six boss fights from the game. This initial release gets close, but due to some errors in Sonic Glvl, I wasn't able to remove all the bosses. There may be bugs in this version, if so, let me know and I'll attempt to fix them, but I've tested all the levels and they can be beaten.

I plan to include all these changes in a future hack that will fix other things in the game. Here's a list of some of the things I hope to accomplish:
    - Remove the multitude of opening splash screens
    - Alter Sonic and Super Sonic's speeds in 2D areas
    - Remove unnecessary springs, dash panels, and camera angles
    - Remove the Super Sonic restrictions in auto run areas
    - Replace the Extra World's acts 1 and 4 with the bonus levels from Worlds 3 and 6
    - Replace the small egg capsules with in level item monitors and additional wisp powerups
    - Add/Remove enemies and obstacles for difficulty balancing
    - Remove the animal gates
    - Try to reimplement the animal rewards from the Wii U version but have the game reward items instead of RCs

This version will still be supported and updated though for those who would like to play the closest to the original game

Install instructions:
    - This hack works with the SLW Mod Loader v 1.4 (I'm sure it'll pop up on google). Create a Mod folder in the root Sonic Lost World folder and then place this file in the folder. Then just check that folder name off when you use the Mod Loader

V 0.9 Changes
    - All of the deadly six bosses have been removed with the exception of Silent Forest Act 4
    - Loading this level in Sonic Glvl causes the warp gates to be deleted randomly. Thankfully this boss takes 2 seconds to beat
    - Some rings have been removed towards the end of Frozen Factory Act 2
    - Some checkpoints and items towards the end of boss acts have been removed due to redundancy
    - Some goal rings have been placed before boss battles, as they existed in an area that had to be warped to. It would break the flow to warp to a section only to finish a level, so I just removed the warps and added a goal ring instead
    - Lava Mountain Act 1 has a new objective. In this act you'll now dodge falling rocks with no rings for 60 seconds. Once 60 seconds has passed you win. As such I have disabled time attack for this level
    - The Owl Search light in Silent Forest Act 2 has been deleted

NOTE:
    - The deadly six voice triggers have not been removed completely, however the PC version has an option to disable voices. All that option does is literally shut up the deadly six in level, nothing else. Just turn that down to 0
    - Some objects may have been slightly displaced due to some glitches in Sonic Glvl. All the changed acts are completable though
    - I have not tested these levels with the warp item yet. Let me know if something odd happens as a result of warping
    - I'm not sure if the change in Lava Mountain Act 1 would cause the story to not progress. If it does, disable the mod and beat the stage as you normally would
    - While there's nothing stopping you, lets try to keep some integrity and not play these acts in time trial mode. No need to cheap out the leaderboards (Exception being Frozen Factory Act 2, because shame on them for putting a boss in that level)
    And here is the download: https://mega.nz/#!q5lGVRSI!HQPfsIqdiHAiPhUxb4JIgI8wxtRxB3vdzuhQwrOYYd8

Let me know if there are any problems or glitches that should be fixed. This mod is compatible with any existing character mods as well, so feel free to use Classic Sonic (I know I do). Once Sonic Glvl is more compatible with Lost World I'll be sure to continue refining this version, but for now I hope everyone enjoys this hack. If you want to use this hack as a base or would like to spread it around feel free (Actually I'd love if this was spread around a bit as I don't have a youtube following or anything) just give credit where credit is due. And wow, it took 9 years but I finally finished something I set out to do around here. :eng101:

Oh and here are videos of the mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOtj3ZCvsd0&feature=youtu.be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHI7dUPxmWA&feature=youtu.be

Apologies for the ass recordings, I'm new to recording things.

5. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Especially since you get 10 seconds back each time you do a side.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Play Windy Hill 2 and pay attention to the music when you approach the end of the stage (just before you battle Zazz). You'll see why it's broken into two channels.

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The mod replacement provides so many opportunities for sex and penis jokes to be made for literally every interaction done by what would had been Sonic in the original context it's unbelievable, frankly.

8. Skitt64

Skitt64

I'm surprised it took this long actually

9. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    Wrote up a basic program to streamline the process of modding the music for the game. Hopefully some will find it useful:

[​IMG]
    You can download it here. The README.txt explains how to use it and also has a tutorial.

10. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    So has anyone ported Yoshi's Island Zone or Hyrule Zone yet? Or made a mod that gets rid of those aggravating color power tooltips?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So, question. How do you work pacpack? Every time I try to extract a pac file it crashes. Any assistance would be great.

EDIT: Never mind got it. It begins!

EDIT 2: Or maybe not. I'm not finding physics files anywhere, or the item hint indicators. Looks like more research will have to be done.

12. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    I've been working on porting the DLC just have to hope Paraxade will have time to rip the other templates to resave them to PC orc later on. Otherwise theres are a few files that have to be figured out before they can be ported to the PC version.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Are all the Nintendo objects still functional in the PC version?

14. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Yes they are they even left and converted the enemy models from those levels in the main cpk. Dunno why they put them in there though. Only supports it.

15. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Huh, well hooray for lazy porting! I'm glad they didn't take the time to remove them.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

holy crap dude this is cool, I posted this over at SSMB too if you don't mind.

[​IMG]

Thats excellent news to hear, glad the Nintendo DLC won't be that troublesome. funny its almost like SEGA wanted it to be left in their, maybe they know us too well and just did us a favor?

wait so theirs a partial editor in Lost World? can you explain more?!

17. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    So, question: I remember Generations had some feature advertised that mentioned pressing a button on any attached controller would automatically enable it to work right out of the box with the game. This 'feature' must have spoiled me, because even with a 360-styled Logitech Wireless F710 controller ready and working fine with any other Steam game, Lost World has only worked with it twice, and seemingly at random. The few times I've tried to remap the Keyboard in-game, it wouldn't accept any input when it pops up with "Please press the new key to remap".

I'm scratchin' my head here.

18. Faseeh

Faseeh

Nice simple mod Dark Sonic. :)/>

Here's the link for the readme with the list of all the level music files in the AWB in the sound folder. It's also in the spoiler below.

https://app.box.com/s/24zszkg0f0mernyvttod11euodk5ax81

Should a Hacking Guide page be made for this?

19. Paraxade

Paraxade

it's pretty common for game engines to integrate the game and the editor into the same package because it makes it easy to sync code between the two, which allows for highly accurate editor previews as well as the ability to instantly jump into an arbitrary point in the level you're working on from (or even within) the editor, for quick testing. SonicTeam evidently did this because there's a lot of editor code in the final game's executable (this is apparent if you take a look at the Wii U version's symbols). This is the reason why we have the object property names; it's not like Generations where every property has its name specified in the file, in Lost World the object properties are a big binary blob. But because SonicTeam left in a bunch of editor code, the game's executable contains a list of every object property's name/type and the Japanese description they used in their editor (which is included in the GLvl templates in Google Translate form).

at any rate, all I know is there's code from the editor left over in the executable - I have no idea if it's enough to actually run it. I don't think anyone has found any editor assets in the game's files, so it's possible that it's not.

20. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member

I was trying to freeze the "Super Sonic" variable to see if that would provide any clues as to why Super Sonic is disabled in the pseudo-Mach-Speed sections, only for this to happen instead. The game crashed about two minutes later when I tried freezing another variable.

I'm not very good at this :v:

EDIT: embedded video properly, herp derp