don't click here

(GG) Sonic 2 Auto Demo Prototype (1991-12-05) - Info & Download

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, yeah, these look much better.

Tanks - LOL

2. nesboy43

nesboy43

Well that's certainly nightmare inducing.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H5UWQlDyzg#t=50s

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    chuckle sonic is awesome.

5. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I call him "Chuckles"

I'm hilarious.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    [​IMG]

Sonic has been Unleashed.

7. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Just a quick update on today's disassembly efforts. Palette data, fading code & object logic scripts have been split out. There are 10 distinct sets of object logic. No hidden bosses unfortunately (that was a bit too much to ask from such an early build :(). I don't think there's much in the way of compressed art left to discover, so probably no prototype badniks either. I've still got to go through all of the uncompressed sprite art so there might be something in there...

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Haha, nice work there Glitch! It is a shame about the lack of bosses or enemies, but still...

[​IMG]

Again, not so confident about the whole SMS autodemo proof here, but it's still something worth noting.

9. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    The fact that a GG autodemo exists means that an SMS autodemo exists - both builds come from the same source tree. Whether they actually sent out any SMS copies is an entirely different matter.
    That the prototype palettes are present in the final SMS ROM just proves that resources for the SMS and GG builds were worked on simultaneously and conditionally included in the build via some ifdef mechanism.

10. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Only the dead can know peace from this evil...

I've decided to be that guy and made a quick drawing of that monstrosity :v:

Nice to know the other Sky High Zone prototype graphics are there in some capacity.

Well done to everyone who's managed to disasemble this S2 GG AutoDemo to see what exactly is in there so far. Some of the stuff that was leftover in the final when compared to the prototype makes a lot of sense now. It's a shame there might be anything left artwork wise to report. Now I'm of the strong belief there existed a S2 SMS AutoDemo, a playable version of the S2 GG AutoDemo, and to some degree a later prototype build of S2 GG/SMS. Whether they still exist we may never know. We can hope at least.

11. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
  12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I want a Chuckles & Knuckles hack now.

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ooh, good to see that some earlier mappings for Under Ground Zone were found. Those maps look a lot better without the random rails everywhere, though obviously the 'fixed' section at the beginning of the act that's actually used in the autodemo has some oddities as a result. Interesting that some areas in the first act seem to have rails remaining in logical placings, though - possibly rails and carts were always intended for the level after all, but their use was expanded fairly early on, leading to metatiles being overwritten with more rail-related combinations instead. Still, either way, it's an awesome find! Thank goodness for redundant data being left in ROMs. = )

Also, "Chuckles" certainly explains why Knuckles was so quick to point out in Sonic Adventure that unlike Sonic, he don't chuckle. That thing is ungodly.

(Even though Knuckles is a lying git - he clearly chuckles in S3&K and Sonic Triple Trouble!)

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Question!

Guys, look at this screenshot from another prototype of Sonic 2.

[​IMG]

Familiar, no?

[​IMG]

Well, this Sky High seems to be based on GHz Act 1 (the other two screenshots of the same build don't match, sadly)!

What do you think? Did they change the art after they canned the weird palmtrees?

15. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Hey guys, I just blew my own mind.

[​IMG]

Look carefully at the zone letters and the graphics in them. This applies to the Master System version as well.

Look familiar?

Also the graphics in the opening animation for the games in the final version (And Autodemo as well, but still.)

[​IMG]

It's a bit more blatant in the SMS version with the color of the sky and trees, but it's there in the GG one.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The ones in the title card use Sky High pine trees with a brown color and the one in the opening uses the palmtree from Sonic 1's GHz.

I thought that's one of the reasons they kept the ending scene using beta GHz graphics, to make it related to the intro and titlecards.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Removed Link+Knuckles intercourse hotlink pic

17. Tanks

Tanks

hahahahaha ahhhh Sonic Cult

EDIT:

Having the assests already available is a fair enough reason to use them somehow in the end I guess. Can't blame them for not wanting to anyway considering this game was thrown together in a matter of months with confusion coming from both the Sonic 2 and Sonic CD teams as well.

18. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I like Sonic's palette here better than in the final and wondered why they changed it. It then occurred to me that Tails is probably the reason for the more orangey tone of the final palette; too bad he isn't actually seen anywhere in-game aside from the ending. They should've just kept this version of the palette.

Oddly enough, that's somehow less creepy than the actual sprite (though is still quite fucked).

I took a crack at making a 16-bit style one. Feel free to use it however you like in projects (please credit me, though I won't particularly mind if you don't).

[​IMG]

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

It would be even better if Sonic's left pupil were smaller than the other as it is in the 8-bit sprite.

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Ah! I noticed the level select font is in the ROM. Is there any chance there's some hidden menu?

Also, is it possible that there's some unreferenced song?

And, hmm, I think I've found a 'special' version of that sprite

[​IMG]