don't click here

(GG) Sonic 2 Auto Demo Prototype (1991-12-05) - Info & Download

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Emulicious is a solid emulator that supports tracing. I use it for debugging. I'm not too keen on the way it spits out raw data and you still have to go through and fix up structures anyway. I prefer to work through the code manually. It's like doing a code review: you get a feel for the original programmers' code style, you find bugs, potential optmimisations, unused routines, etc.

@Calindro - feel free to PM me on SMS Power. Oh, and please add a memory editor! :)/>

2. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I don't think so, as I said, the scrambled egg tube code can be used to make those rocky S bends work, although perhaps they were aiming towards making them more momentum based like the original mega drive.

I was hoping the disassembly might have revealed some unloaded art for gimmick mountain, seeing as we have a screenshot of alternative rock art. Oh well. + - must be another proto out there somewhere  

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Where? The only I know is the beta shot from the package and it seems to be way more finalized. And just a layout change, not really art (other than some tiles being flipped)

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    underground zone 1 looks really fresh and unique, shame it never made it to release.

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    yeah, it is just a flip looking at it again. I saw it was different, but didn't register that it wasn't much different.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I felt this was worth noting:

[​IMG]

Looks like he found out what one of the unidentified palettes in the final product is (the SMS version at least).

7. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I see what Rika Chou was on about. There's the Monitors as well as a few other things. What I would like to see is if there is any other any other artwork stashed away in this ROM we've yet to report.

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    It doesn't look like anyone has mentioned here that Looney Dude over at SSRG found some unused Sonic sprites, and they are quite creepy looking.
    [​IMG]
    TheStoneBanana pasted the tiles together to create the sprites and this is what they look like:

[​IMG]
    Looking through Sonic's animations, I don't think these sprites were animated at this point since anything past $16 crashes the game. So I guess they were going to use these for something, created them and added them to the game but didn't do anything with them. :v: I have no clue what they were thinking when they made those creepy sprites. xD

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    They're unused sprites from the scrapped zone where Sonic drops acid.

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Holy shit, those first two are scary. I don't think the 3rd one looks all that bad, and the 4th one looks like a decent skidding frame.

11. emrabt

emrabt

Play the game gear one at some point, There is something extra which makes the balls bounce at random heights, which was removed (or just isn't working) on the master system version.

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Good to see maps of the other Zones - pretty much confirms in my mind that the mine-cart rails were not part of the initial plan for Under Ground Zone - it looks more like it was intended to be a castle/fortress themed version of Marble Zone, just as Green Hills is very heavily based on Green Hill in this version. I am surprised, though, that even the layout that's actually shown in the autodemo shows signs of this - it looks like they only fixed up the section which actually appears on-screen, and hadn't yet touched any of the rest of the layout.

Also, I'm surprised how much of the basic structure of Sky High Zone Act 1 actually sort-of matches the final layout - in the same way as the three Acts of Green Hills, you can see a lot of the same general ideas in the layout, though it's clear the final one has been redone pretty much from scratch.

Also, what is with those ungodly Sonic sprites? The fourth one looks like an unused skidding frame, but the others I have no idea for. Maybe the "Coming Soon" screen was intended to use his in-game sprites at one point? He could come in, skid, and then grin in that slightly possessed-looking way. I dunno - no basis for that, just idly speculating.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I found these on Sky High

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

(I guessed the colors on the second 'cause I got the animation from the disassembly)

14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    PRAISE HIM! MkII

15. Machenstein

Machenstein

Doesn't Tails have similar animations when you free him at the end of the game?

16. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    That's great! I've already found explanations for some of the unused stub code in the final. I'll have to go through and update the final disasm at the same time.

17. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    My god, those Sonic sprites are horrifying o_o What the hell is going on there? I'm not at all surprised that they got removed before the final version, they're nightmare-inducing.

18. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Schezo on IRC asked someone to post his new findings:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. ZanaGB

ZanaGB

It looks like sonic could have laughed at the player at some time, and induce some nightmares on the way. Maybe like on Sonic CD when he suicides after 3 minutes? The standing and skidding frames look good. but I lost it at the laughing-ish animation

+ - ( Maybe he is just watching as we sleep, thinking happily of all the things he will do with us )  

20. Tanks

Tanks

[​IMG]

"Unlike Sonic, I do not chuckle." ~ Knuckles T. Echidna