don't click here

(GG) Sonic 2 Auto Demo Prototype (1991-12-05) - Info & Download

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, Aug 20, 2014.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Forgot to ask before... Does applying these mappings fix the wonky collisions, by any chance?

I haven't found any trace of level names, so I don't think there's anything like that.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Jesus Christ I was not ready for that.

3. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I had a bizarre thought of someone posting these scary 2 frame gifs and sticking them over the characters on the Blue Sphere (No way? No way!) screen.

Someone please make it happen.

4. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist, I'm loving anything related to this find.

5. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    I'm staying away from Retro on Halloween...

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, we're beginning to stray away from focus here. =P

7. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kvenmWEhFE

8. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m6ZCw69P4Q

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Have we gotten anything off the other two carts that were part of the set? Like, has Labyrinth been dumped yet? Is Tails' Adventure just the final version?

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The answers shall be found on the beggining of everything..!

+ - Tip: first post  

12. So, now that the Auto Demo was disassembled, we must conclude that somewhere must have another Sonic 2 GG Auto Demo version. Since the Sky High Zone sprites - the trees (present in the final version) and yellow flower of pictures from magazines - have not been found yet...

13. Tanks

Tanks

You mean another prototype? Of course. It's called the development process. :v:

But just so you know, earlier in the thread some evidence was posted suggesting there was an SMS version of the autodemo, or a similar build which featured the COMING SOON screen at least.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It doesn't suggest, we know there IS a version of the SMS autodemo, as their development process seems have the SMS/GG differentiation in an automated way. But that doesn't mean they released it on a cart.

15. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Just a minor find: there's a camera debug routine included in the ROM. The byte at $0064 is used as a debug flag register. The 2nd bit of this byte enables the debug routine (I.e. hex edit address $64, changing the value to $02). When you're in a level, hold button 1 and use the D-pad to move sonic/the camera around. Release button 1 to place Sonic at that position. Interestingly, there's no hint of this address in the final but it was also used in Triple Trouble.

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I have been reading this topic since it's inception, though this is the first time I've logged in since then. I just wanted to comment and say that I appreciate the fantastic work you guys in the community are doing. Each time I see a resourceful and important topic like this nowadays, it reminds me why I joined this forum in the first place- to see how the games I love are made, and the secrets they hide.

This one's one of the games I have always been greatly interested in since 2004 when I started reading up Secrets of Sonic Team. I'm so glad we've finally got something substantial that we can play around with, especially as it has that awesome looking GHZ and it's beautiful assets with it.

Really great job guys.

17. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Went poking around inside the ROM to get those unused Sonic sprites (so that I can update the sprite sheet on tSR) and I actually found a total of 5 unused sprites.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like they were going to go for something more like Sonic 2 MD for the braking animation at one point.
    (also, pardon the MS palette, it's easier to set up in YY-CHR)

18. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    Uhh, that's already been found by LooneyDude and TheStoneBanana on SSRG. Sorry.

19. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Oh. I was only going by the thread here, in which only 4 of the 5 were found. :/

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Oh yeah I forgot to share those here as well oops, I was only focused on the creepy laughing Sonic sprites when I made that post. xD