don't click here

Sonic Jump

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Arique, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Conzuh

Conzuh

yeah yeah big nice Member
    Millennium Dreams
    After playing this for a bit I can safely say I prefer the original (2012) Sonic Jump.

Fever just seems like a bit of a mess to me. It suffers from terrible design choices that gives the user no freedom in how they play the game, minimizing the enjoyment. There is no ability to select which level you play, which is very odd in my opinion. In addition, Sonic isn't unlocked by default. Why are we forced to play as Tails first? This isn't Tails Jump Fever (although that sounds quite interesting). You'd have to play the game for an unhealthy amount of time to unlock the other characters, making Red Star Rings the only viable option of getting them, another example of how this pay to win craze has gotten out of hand.

Even more worryingly, there are so many mechanics I literally have no idea what is going on; Dark Sonic put it perfectly with the Sonic GG advert. Why does the level end so quickly? What do I have to do to make it go on longer? AND WHY AM I ONLY ALLOWED TO PLAY THE GAME FIVE TIMES UNTIL MY "ENERGY BAR" RUNS OUT? Seriously, what the hell is an Energy bar and why is it such a staple of mobile games now? I payed to remove ads, so I should be able to play the game whenever I damn well please, without having to invite friends or do some other dumb task to continue.

Sonic Jump Fever plays like a bastardized version of the original with a bit of Sonic Dash shoehorned in. I enjoyed Dash, and expected this to be a sort of expanded version of Sonic Jump's arcade mode with the refinement of Dash. Unlike Sonic Jump, there is no incentive for me to continue playing Fever... why couldn't they just continue to update the original?

I can only say my expectations for Sonic Dash S (when it eventually arrives) have been significantly lowered. "Fever" is very deserving of its name. :colbert:/>

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm of the same mind. Really I thought the game was a bit too flashy and cluttered as well, I couldn't tell what was actually going on half the time. Jump OG kind of has a relaxed pace to it which I didn't mind, and I can generally go for flashy stylized games, but Jump Fever just isn't working for me. I'll give it some more time I guess.

That said any time Chao get acknowledged I'm at least appreciative of that, so kudos for that much Hardlight.

3. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I've been in touch with Hardlight again to discuss Sonic Jump Fever among other things.

As I currently can't download it (even though I was told my device was compatible beforehand), I asked about this (and mentioned that Google Play Store says my device is incompatible) and got the following:

"Unfortunately what Google Play says is right. Your device is incompatible at the moment, I'm afraid. Sorry that things have changed after the information you had been given in the first instance. We will add more devices with the next updates but I can't say your Sony Xperia Miro will be included for sure. Please, keep checking the updates."

When I asked about Sonic Jump (the original, not Fever), I was told this:

"About the original Sonic Jump, of course we didn't abandoned it!!!! We have updates planned to add a final zone and more features. Again, please keep checking on google Play!
    Many thanks.
    Kind Regards,
    Lara @ Hardlight"

I'm currently taking this as good news that we may eventually see an update to the original Sonic Jump, but we'll have to wait and see.

4. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I unlocked Sonic in all of like fifteen minutes of play

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's everyone after Sonic that you have to play for an unhealthy amount of time to unlock (or pay nearly £30 for).

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Can't link it, but TSSZ says that Hardlight is working on a fix for the SUPERUSER_ACCESS problem.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Next, they should work on making it fun.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya I deleted it yesterday. It's just a bunch of stuff thrown at you to cover up the fact it's that much more shallow than the original, which thankfully they still plan on expanding.

9. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    So they will add Mechanical Zone to the original?

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    According to their email, yes.

11. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    So I'm kinda enjoying Fever and hating it at the same time. It is kind of addictive but unlocking anything worthwhile is so far away I kinda wonder why I'm bothered.

This morning I unlocked a "super rare chao" which destroyed every enemy on screen throughout a whole round. Pretty cool I thought until I realised I only had 59 minutes to get loyalty and my energy was out so 16 minutes of that would be gone immediately. So then when I got some energy his heart filled up so slowly I realised it was unobtainable.

Right I thought, let's see how much it'll cost as DLC, thinking it'd be like £2.99 or something...

Nope...£50. Fuck that, what the hell is wrong with these developers?

12. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    So after 2 weeks of playing (and a little luck on the spin wheel) I unlocked Amy.

Holy shit.

She is WAY better than Sonic or Tails. All because of her double jump using her hammer to create a giant "instashield" or attack radius that allows you to destroy enemies without risking getting too close and getting hit. So with higher combo potential and more skill/fever level ups I am able to get much higher scores, more xp per play, etc. So I can only imagine that Blaze and Knuckles will play even better.

Now if I could just get that Dark Chao that destroys enemies unlocked too I'd be good.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well knuckles was definitely the best character in the original, so I wouldn't be too suprised if it was like that in fever

14. Phredreeke

Phredreeke

Oldbie
    Not to defend them but you keep your loyalty progress after the Chao leaves. (and the "super rare chao" isn't that rare to find in the forest)

Honestly, I like this better than the original. In the original, once you get to a certain point the missions get ridiculous, so it's all about grinding rings...

15. Phredreeke

Phredreeke

Oldbie
    Ok it looks like they are giving away Blaze, at least I got her upon running the game. :v: Convenient as she was the last character I needed to unlock.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I got Knuckles and Blaze. They updated the token requirements to make them all way more reasonable, so characters are auto unlocking if you've already reached the updated targets.

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    That was awesome to get them unlocked today, I had a feeling they weren't just giving them away. Also going to the spin wheel first and seeing the Knuckles/Blaze token spots replaced.

I had just recently hit the 50% mark of token collection for both characters

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Guys. The original Sonic Jump got an update.

:specialed:

19. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Seeing as this topic got bumped, allow me to explain what's in the update and a few points of interest.

From Google Play Store:
    Jump for joy with Sonic Jump's biggest update yet!
    • Mechanical Zone unlocked! A brand new zone for you to master with Sonic and his friends!
    • Game Over but want to keep going? Watch a quick video for another chance to continue!
    • Fixes and refinements to improve your experience

I've been in contact with HardLight since October 2013 regarding finally getting this update and they were insistant that it was coming in the future. After the "update" of January last year, which promised bug fixes, new ring bundles and "preparation for future updates", I had given up hope but, out of the blue yesterday, I get as message from them stating that the update has been ready since November last year but they were having some issues with specific hardware. Interesting. Anywho, onto the update itself:

Mechanical Zone is indeed unlocked. Finally. It has it's own 30 red rings to collect and 12 S ranks. The difficulty is quite high (although, to be honest, abusing the items from the store makes it less of an issue) and once you've completed all of the levels, there's an ending scene as well, complete with a cartoon-style Sonic 4 render. I wasn't too thrilled to see it but at least I got an ending.

There's a new feature (well, technically 2, but I'll get onto that in a minute) wherein if you fall off a stage, you are sometimes given the chance to use a "Bounce Back" powerup without using any from your items. The cost, however, is to watch a video (it's an advert for an android game) which lasts about 15 seconds. It's not too invasive but one of the thigns I liked about this app before was the lack of ads and video pushing due to the fact that I have paid for this thing.

Another thing that uses this video reward system is a "Free Rings" menu both on the main menu and in the shop. Watch a video, get 100 free rings. You can't abuse it (it appears to be available every few hours) and while it's a nice idea, it's still much easier to play through Green Hill Zone 1 for over 100 rings each time (or, if you're really impatient for rings, play Blue Sky Zone 3 with a Magnet and Ring Time for about 600 rings, if used at the end of the level).

There's a link to Sonic Jump Fever on the title screen as well. Just in case you wanted to play the freeware sequel (as I'm calling it) instead of the original. There's also a small corner link to "More Games" as well.

Finally, issues with the update: (Hey, what did you expect from me?)
    • Music is now broken not only on the intro cutscene but also on the boss levels. It was only an issue with the intro cutscene before so they've broken something else regarding music.
    • The sound effects for the new badniks and gimmicks are ridiculously loud and play way too early compared to when they should. Sometimes, you'll hear an engine noise or grinder for the entire level which is annoying.
    • The mission screen still says "More Coming Soon..." which, by the looks of it, isn't happening.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Yay, a complete(?) game!