don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Oh hey guys Sonic Generations is on the Steam summer sale at the moment with 66% off, if you FOR SOME REASON haven't bought the game yet.

Even if you own it on Ps3 or 360, PC would be the best version due to all the mods being made, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

2. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    £6.79 thanks to the sale? Oh well, I just happen to have some spare money, so I've finally snapped up the PC version!

Thanks for the heads up, RuRi.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I wish I had a computer strong enough for Generations...I'm not even going to try on this laptop.

4. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I'd pretty confident in my laptop's ability to play Generations on lower settings, the only problem is it's a Mac. It's times like these when I reconsider getting it. I know I have Boot Camp, but I just don't want to use it. I'm a bit paranoid that it'll do something to my Mac. I don't even use the multimedia software that came with it, like Garageband (Which is cool to play around in and make ringtones, but not what it was necessarily made for), iMovie, things a lot of PC users would be jealous of. I know that's what was initially compelling to me.

5. Well guys, I'd atleast recommend getting it while it's so cheap, since it'll never leave your steam account, so you can hold onto it until you having something powerful enough to run it.

6. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I've had Generations PC since pretty much the first day of the sale, and I've just recently got to the stage where I'm finishing off the missions and getting all of the achievements.

However there's a huge issue where in the Modern Seaside Hill mission with Rouge, the game will randomly crash- I suspect it's something to do with the Shielded Egg Pawns because it often crashes (but not always) when I homing-attack one that isn't subjected to Rouge's wiles, keeping the rumble on until I unplug my controller and reset it. However, I've been careful in some more recent runs to try and get through it, so I hit them only with the force of gravity, classic Sonic style. However, it still consistently crashes at the end- when I whittle them down to about half their total number.

I'd just like to ask if anybody can help me with troubleshooting this, as it could be affecting other users.

I'm running the x64 Windows 7 Professional version with 6GB of RAM, An Intel i5-2410M cpu, and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M gpu, with a PS3 Controller my computer is tricked into thinking is an Xbox controller via MotionInJoy. I'll try to poke around my files and see if there's any crash logs if that can help. And no, I haven't used any mods yet.

Sorry if this isn't directly on-topic- well, I guess it's the most on-topic this can be this far after launch, but anyways.

7. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The Rouge Seaside Hill mission is a known issue, nothing you can really do about it except hope it doesn't crash.

8. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    So the only thing I can do is hope? Has the cause at least been found, so I can know to try and avoid it as best I can? :[

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Set the priority of SonicGenerations.exe to High or Very High on the task manager.

10. Valvatorez

Valvatorez

Hades
    What's the weakest graphical card/laptop brand that can run it smoothly? I don't get a lot of high end games, and my laptop is crapping out on me and I'm getting a new one within the next month. Don't care about highest settings, just that sweet 60 fps. I might get All stars transformed too, but this is my priority.

11. Quick question. I downloaded the soundtrack for Sonic Generations, and put a bunch of the songs on my mp3 player. I know that the Generations version of a lot of songs, such as Sonic Boom, and Live and Learn, were cut down or altered from the originals. Is the song "Knight of the Wind" from the Black Knight game the same, or is it the full original version? I noticed that unlike a lot of the songs with lyrics to them, this one only seems to repeat the same set of verses two or three times, making me think that it's a looped version for gameplay, when I would like to hear the full song as it's supposed to be.

12. Uh... "Knight of the Wind" isn't in Sonic Generations unless you mean the actual in-game sound test; if so, then yes, the in-game version is looped for gameplay and not the original song.

13. Alright. It was one of the songs on the soundtrack, I know it wasn't actually in-game. Now I know to look for the original version. Thanks for the help!

14. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    If you just want it to "run smoothly" then it will more than likely also run using the highest settings at 60 fps. From what's been posted here by those with adequate specs, all three seem to go hand in hand.

On my Dell Inspiron, which is made to run everything fine except high-end games (which, believe me, Sega has a habit of making Sonic games count as), Generations does run, and I've gotten through the game, so it's playable at any rate. I just have to settle for ~15 fps during most stages, 15-45 fps for Rival and Boss fights (Shadow's rival battle runs surprisingly smoothly), I have to skip cutscenes that use in-game assets because the lag is so great. I should note that fiddling with the settings doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me.

Just from personal experience, I can join the bandwagon and easily suggest that if gaming is any bit a part of your computer priorities, stay far away from integrated graphics and/or Intel. I've been stuck with both, and while everything else about my laptop runs fine, it shows with games.

Just giving a very cautious heads up. Best of luck in finding an adequate computer for your future gaming!

15. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    AMD HD6670 isn't 100% there so I'd say a bit faster than that and you should be good. Maybe a lot more if you want to run it at 1080P instead of 13660x768.

16. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Well, the minimum for graphics is a video card with at least 512MB of RAM. Trust me, you don't want to cheap out on that. My two friends that have it on PC both have 318MB (or something similar), and they have to turn everything down. One gets similar results to the 360 version, but it looks terrible. As far as the regular RAM and CPU go, just get a quad-core processor and at least 4GB of RAM (The minimums are really a dual-core CPU and 2GB RAM, but I have a personal rule of thumb: if you can't get 4GB of RAM, it's not worth it nowadays.)
    The processor is really up to you. Not a lot actually happens for it to be CPU-sucking, it just looks amazing. That's more of a GPU job than a CPU job.
    I can't suggest a particular model or brand of video card, as I'm not that "in the know", but I hope that helped.

17. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Previously I had a C2D E7300 and a GTS 250 1GB, and got mostly 60fps albeit with some noticeable drops. I upgraded my CPU to a Core i5-3570k, and didn't touch the GPU, and those drops are gone. This suggests to me that this game is more CPU-bound than average. A better GPU might help with the high resolutions and antialiasing, but if you are just looking at framerate it's especially important to get something with a decent CPU.

18. Valvatorez

Valvatorez

Hades
    Okay, thanks for all your help. I know what to shoot for now. I got my eyes on a laptop that should run it (whenever I get my hands on it come next month)

(So long, my trial posts run out)

19. BulimicCannibal

BulimicCannibal

Can anyone confirm whether or not the super speed glitch (modern sonic) works on PC?

I'm doing exactly what multiple people have told me to do but Sonic ends up just slowly grinding to a halt while sliding, even
    if I'm using boost.

20. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I have no idea what this glitch is, what's it all about?