don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I don't even get why that was an issue to begin with. Sonic ran off the screen in Sonic Rush too after he passed the goal ring.

Or they could have made his quills shorter *shot*

EDIT: Actually can anyone who played the leaked version confirm this?

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is a really good way for people who are less physics-savvy (or shading-savvy) to identify if a video is using the E3 build.

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Pressing a button at the end of the stage to go to the next is not genesis style progression. This game is looking less like Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and more like Mega Sonic Advance 4. A fusion of Megaman, Sonic Advance 3, and Sonic Rush (for the physics).

4. Shade

Shade

This is pretty cool, Sega actually listening to people and all. This game is turning out to be quite a labor of love, and if nothing else, there'll be some juicy comparisons between the leaked version and the final. The tradition lives on!

I'm very much looking forward to Sonic 4's release.

5. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    thisthisthisthisThisThisThisTHISTHISTHISTHIS

This game can come out, be the biggest stinker in Sonic history and be hated by all, and it will NOT be anything like Sonic Rush besides the fact that it has Sonic in it and is in 2D. There's no boost, the level design (besides all the boosters) is like the classic games more than anything, the music isn't anything like Rush's, etc. This looks nothing like Rush 1 or 2, stop saying it is.

6. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Maybe the fact that there are boosters everywhere and the game's controls/physics/uncurling are all exactly the same as rush?

There is more to a game than just gimmicks. And saying that sonic 4's level design is like the classics is just wrong. The only thing they have in common is the visual themes.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So let me get this straight. Because the game added a feature, where all you do is press a single, fucking button and you go to the next stage instead of returning to the menu automatically like the game originally was supposed to do, that makes it look less like Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

You know I'm curious as to what Sonic 4 actually would have been like if they had made it 15 or 14 years ago, for even the Saturn perhaps. I bet that if Sonic 4 came out back in the day, it could have been drastically different and no one would have cared. Fuck wasn't Sonic 3 originally planned to be an isometric game at one point?

8. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Everyone bitching about the progression now is bitching for the sake of bitching. Screw Binky, this is a god damned fact.

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    It looks more like the classics than it does Rush. Albeit a pretty poor representation of them, but it really doesn't look much like Sonic Rush to be me at all.

10. Shade

Shade

I agree that having to press a button in order to progress traditionally is a bit hokey; why not just make a seperate mode?

And wow, are people really still carrying on about this being "Sonic Rush"? That's pretty gay, dudes.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd say the level design is closer to Sonic Advance 1 than anything. That's not necessarily a bad thing either, that game had pretty good level design. It has too many bottomless pits to be classic Sonic design, but not nearly enough to be Sonic Rush design.

12. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    This. It feels like a redundant addition. Not all that bad, just redundant. But yeah, I like the idea of a world map. I wonder if the game takes place on another Island.

Announcement of an announcement? I swear this should be a fucking meme by now.

13. Spitfire

Spitfire

lol, sonic Oldbie
    New Jersey
    aint got shit.
    This.

Sonic 4 would have been different, and we all would have eaten it up and reveled in it's aura. Hell, I bet if we could somehow send screenshots of this game backwards in time, we all would have shit our pants and given our left legs to play it.

14. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I don't understand the complaints for the button pressing to just progress to the next stage. Hell I pressed buttons in the games to make the score tally up faster and get to the next stage faster, it's like the same thing.

When we get to the point we're complaining how redundant and "not like the classics" this game is because you have to press a single button in a video game score tally-up screen, you know there's something wrong.

EDIT: And yes the point of the matter is we'd eaten this game up 15 years ago, though I know what's coming. "This is now, not then" replies and so the circular cycle of complaints continues (lolNewSonicCycle).

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I would've given both legs, because in the mid 90s, I just had Nintendo consoles.

16. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.

Would we? Or would it be called crap, like Spinball and Sonic 3D, because it didn't play like the classics.

17. Spitfire

Spitfire

lol, sonic Oldbie
    New Jersey
    aint got shit.
    I don't know about you, but I loved both games upon release because they were a change of pace, not the same cookie cutter format. Of course spinball was better than 3D by miles, but during the releases of the major 4 games, it was refreshing to play something different in between.

Also, this game is no where near as different to Sonic 3 as Spinball was to Sonic 2.

18. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    The level progression bit, however, is the exact opposite of classic Sonic.

In classic Sonic, level progression was normal, and if you didn't wanna do the next level, you'd pause, press A, and do what you want.
    But here, I have to press a button to get to the next level. Amazing.

Yeah, I can see why that wouldn't sit well with someone who was hoping that this game played like classic Sonic.

And what is the point a world map if the game is rather linear anyway? Are there going to be any secret levels or special areas via branching paths that I don't know about?

Edit:
    Spinball also wasn't called Sonic 2.5. But I totally love Toxic Caves.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    But keep in mind, you only pressed A and start if you had a cheat code on. Else you would restart the system and go back to the menu and then pick the level, and in Sonic 1 and 2 this wasn't possible without the level select code, and in Sonic 3 you could only select the first act of any level, not the second

20. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I'd just like to remind everyone that talk of the Sonic Cycle is still a suspendable (or worse) offense.

Carry on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.