don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    This would be a nice touch.

The PRicks are gonna be PRicks. Yes they mislead us, but the company that their souls have been sold to has been at it for a good 10 years now, it should be no surprise.

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Seriously? Is this for real? This really seems like some sort of joke. This is the way it always was but now it's apparently optional....at least there's a choice I guess?

At least since I'm old I guess I won't have to worry about the game being hard. This thing will play like an interactive comic book.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I'm hoping that line is a hint on some unlockable you can get only by playing all of the levels front-to-back and obtaining all of the Emeralds in one pass.

Otherwise it is kind of lame.

4. Well, it might actually prove to be a bit of a challenge, since the Special Stages have time limits. I hate time limits. They're the reason I suck at the Sonic CD special stages, where I find myself constantly returning to the center to destroy the blue UFO like 20 times per stage, especially in the later ones.

But I certainly hope doing so will unlock something. Even if it's a small useless feature.

5. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Like Solaris said, it's a reference to the previous update. A few hours before that, it was free ice cream day where he worked, and on the SEGA forums, people showed interest in it (for one reason or another). It made it's way into the blog post.

Also guys, in case you can't read the title of the blog post, this is update 1.5. NOT 2. When I saw the 1.5, I knew it wasn't the big update that we were gonna get, but something else to tide us over until this big update hits. It's better than being left in the dark, and we got some nice suprises out of it, too.

6. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I definitely want to be a PR Guy someday. It looks like a hilarious job. I'm the kind of guy who finds bickering over dumb shit funny.

Anyway, the world map isn't that big of a deal to me. When I booted up Sonic and Knuckles for the first time, I saw this amazing intro that had like oceans and jungles and deserts and the death egg and shit. As a kid whenever I played it, I was thinking "God, why is there not a world map or something?" Since Sonic 4 doesn't look like it will be doing some sort of intro where it shows stuff, I'm perfectly fine with a world map, and as said before has been done in other games. Sonic 1 GG/MS had one, though it was linear and a nice graphical effect, Sonic CD PC's loading screens have one too. Even if the world map is Sonic Rush-esque, where you can go back to previous levels and get emeralds again (the only part I dislike), I really don't care about nor see what all the hubbub is about.

tl;dr stfu.

7. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Works at Squar Inix Member
    I know, how crazy is that, right? God, I hate that Ruby guy. He has no sense of humor and is clearly just here to lie to us. He probably has no soul and punches kittens every night when he goes home.

And Cheesecake? I mean... Cheesecake? How could any honest, self-respecting person like Cheesecake?

This is all just truly outrageous.

8. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I don't think Ruby would like you insulting his humor! Well, actually it might not bother him, seeing as he has a sense of humor.

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I know, right? Chocolate cream pie or bust.

At this point I'm really not sure what to think. There's work being done, obviously, but not on the things that actually matter: tweaking the gameplay. What strange priorities Dimps has.

10. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    The powers that be probably don't think it's necessary. Or, they will implement them, just not let us know they will. Or they have already and they've been holding out on us. Either way, it's still probably going to be a lot of fun and feel nostalgic at the same time. Crazy, no? Gimme some cheesecake, I'm hungry.

Scratch that. Make it a midnight reverie chocolate sundae.

EDIT: Hey Ruby, life must be great over at the SEGA office. You've got your sweet Green Hill Desk, you get to play with Sonic toys and jello, and you get to have cheesecake. What the hell are you doing schlupping around this dismal place?

11. Namo

Namo

Screw your cakes and shit, give me gummy bears.

Anyway, RubyEclipse, it's good to see you've got some humor there. I know if I took as much shit as you I'd probably make posts like that one more often. But you gotta know, most of the time the shit's not directed at you, just towards you. We're all mature (enough) here to know that you're not the director for Sonic 4, just the PR Guy and bridge between us and Sega.

12. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I'm really looking forward to this game, honestly. As much as I love playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles over and over and over it'll be nice to play a new entry for awhile. I honestly think I can have just as much fun playing Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as I have had playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles, purely because it's a new 2D game that is the closest to the classics we've seen in awhile.

Also, a question for Ruby: It was hinted awhile ago in a magazine article that we'd see the return of not only Tails and Knuckles, but also Elemental Shields. Could you please throw us a crumb on this topic?

13. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I would've blown up and said "Fuck all y'all" by now, but then I figured I might as well go kick some dog shit around for all the good it'll do. Plus the thread's not that bad.

Also, screw your gummy bears. Nothing beats chocolate on chocolate on chocolate ice cream in a nice cold glass: The ultimate sexy menage au toi.

14. Namo

Namo

We can agree to disagree by putting Gummy Bears on Chocolate on Chocolate on Chocolate Ice Cream then. Ohohoh.

I'm also in the minority (here) who's looking forward to the game. Despite everything that's supposedly wrong with it, it'll still be a fun game. Even if it doesn't have classic physics or anything like that. GASP! Has anyone considered that? If not, just go play your emulators and romhacks and make a Sonic 3 hack of Sonic 4.

15. I'm looking forward to it, as a game, but I'm not looking forward to it as Sonic 4.

16. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

I know, right? It's almost like I think you guys are important, or something. ;)
    Yeah, no worries - most people understand that, though I do actually get some messages from people who are pretty mad at me for random, unrelated things. A Sonic Adventure fan actually sent me a really nasty PM last week cursing at me for not including modern characters like Big and Silver in Sonic 4. Like, a whole five paragraphs of constant caps lock and cursing. I'm not sure if some of those words were even English.

Hmm, no crumbs from me on this one. It'll be the age-old "Wait and see what Episode II brings" response, which manages to be both specific and vague at the same time.

Wait, what? You have an open mind and are waiting to judge the game only after you actually play it? That's crazy talk!

If I could give you a cookie right now, I would, seriously. It amazes me how some people completely judge games before they even put the controller in their hands - but then, this is the internets. Props to you for having a level head and the respect to give something a chance. Likewise to all the rest who are doing the same.

Video games aren't about fun - they're about pixels and tightening up the graphics on level 3, and stuff. ;)

Really though, thank you as well.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I can't keep up with this topic! I'm still seeing posts likening the games physics to Sonic Rush, which is silly. His jumping, running speeds, breaking, and acceleration are different. Even Sonic's traction is different. The only similarity whatsoever would be his jumping controllability, where you can make Sonic almost stop completely after jumping. Will this even be in the final?

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Alot of us long time players of the 16bit games know the physics just by watching the movements. If we saw the Sonic 1 physics in Sonic 2, we would know. And that would be without playing it. That's why there are alot of us that are so anal over them. It's a big leap to finally get Sonic 4. And we want it to have the legacy that the classics series has. I'm open minded about the outcome of this game. I've accepted the fact that the art is a rehash of past zones. Old badniks have been used instead on Dimps creating original new ones. But it's the physics that I consider the most important bit. Just by looking at them. I know how they are going to play. I have no doubt Sonic 4 will be a great experience. But I have a feeling that I won't want to bother playing it again in years to come.

19. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Sweet jesus.

20. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Totally understand where you're coming from. My sarcasm was more directed at the people who are just posting negative comments non-stop, and condemning the game and saying it will be terrible solely because of the physics, without even having played it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.