don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Just for clarification, S2:HD is now entirely raster art?

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    MDM from what I've seen you've got the skill to do it. Yes the standard is high but this project is about getting it right rather than getting it done. Give it another shot. Don't give up because of a few words in the past (same to you test-object). Only the staff comments really matter at the end of the day. In all honesty if you don't feel ready to show the public forum your vector work. Then just PM the staff your work. They will give you fair comments away from the brutal nature that can happen in here. I've said before it's not a waste of time doing something. It's a waste of time doing nothing.

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The main reason the vector submissions only rule was killed off was because everything is just going to be rasterized when it's put into the game anyways. So technically, it was always raster art.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I actually meant to ask about this. Why not vectors for the final rendition? Wouldn't it future proof it for different resolutions? This is not intended as a smart arse question. I genuinely curious why you would do this.

5. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Illustrator isn't really for me. The forum didn't discourage me from pursuing it. It was never my program of choice to begin with. I just tried using it because that was the rules for submission.
    I'm not quitting the project. What I said was hypothetical.
    I don't think test-object is quitting either, he has just gone to lurk mode.

But I have nothing to post art-wise because I'm not working on anything right now because there is nothing to work on to pertains to me.
    I haven't tried the catapult again trying Canned Karma's request but last time I tried I didn't like it. But my attempt at it failing either means: a) the design doesn't work or b)I personally can't get the design to work.

I'm thinking that the design doesn't work and forcing it isn't going to help any. But nothing is stopping anyone else from trying it.

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Well not everything is possible with vector art, and sometimes it just takes too long to replicate something you could easily do with raster art, so it's more a matter of using time efficiently. Not only that, but I imagine a program having to render a shitton of highly detailed vector art would require a lot of processing power or at least a lot of memory, at least if Flash is anything to go by.

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    If you want to use raster art, use that. If you're more comfortable in a vector based program, use that. So long as the art is made at 4x resolution, that's the main technical requirement. I'll make the necessary changes to the topic post in question.

8. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Perhaps instead of saying "4x resolution", you could actually indicate what the base resolution you are multiplying from, or indicate the desired resolution for each piece of art needing to be done. Plus, as far as I'm aware, S2HD isn't going to be perfectly 4x resolution anyway, since it is going to be in a widescreen space. Does that affect the art design? Probably not, but it is still an inaccurate statement, since the game isn't running at exactly 4x the original resolution.

9. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    True, but I'm pretty sure the art itself is running at 4x.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    ...Really? You know exactly what 4x resolution means. It's been in the contribution guides since day one. And I'm quite sure you know what the original resolution on the Genesis/Mega-drive was without my telling you.

Thank you once again Hamneggs.

11. I am VERY pleased to hear that vector is no longer the standard. I can't believe this has been the case for a while and no one notified us (maybe I missed it).

12. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I'm just going to leave this here.

13. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Welp, I sure missed that one.

Speaking of which, what's the program of choice for raster art, Photoshop?

Likewise, could anyone recommend a good online tutorial (I can't pick which ones aren't crap without already knowing the program, can I?) for whatever program of choice you might suggest?

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Yep, photoshop is what we use for raster stuff. I dunno about tutorials that teach stuff without having to know the program. I took some classes at school that taught me the very basics of photoshop (the focus was never on photoshop but the program we were using shared some similarities), but everything else I've picked up from tutorials, other people, or just myself messing around. If you can learn the most basic stuff you should be able to pick up on other things.

15. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Between Photoshop and GIMP (the application I use for raster editing), a grand majority of the capabilities in Photoshop are freely available in GIMP. If you don't have Photoshop, the GIMP should be an acceptable alternative.

Unfortunately, I'm unaware of any tutorials involving the GIMP like the ones the S2HD team prepared a couple years ago with Photoshop. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt the instructions in Photoshop tutorials to GIMP.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You quite lied there :P

The rings are vectorial renders of your 3D model too :P.

17. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    not to mention the Special Zone (if that counts?) :P

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Hey everyone, I don't usually post in here but I have something to talk about.

Something which has been discussed in #retro is the fixed screen ratio that Sonic 2 HD is supposedly intending to have, 16:9. I don't know the full discussion about it other than people saying that 16:9 was the planned screen ratio and it couldn't be changed. I think that is a little bit unfair, because not everyone uses a widescreen display, in fact if you check the desktop thread, some people still use 1024x768 as their screen resolution. Although I do have a widescreen laptop (which is 16:10), my desktop has a full screen monitor at 1280x1024, which is a 5:4 ratio.

I personally believe that Sonic 2 HD should work as per any common resolution (from 1024x768 to 1920x1200 or higher) and that the game should be adjusted to that resolution, which should be simple if LOst is someone who can actually program this decently. If you are concerned over size issues in bosses (such as playing Splash Hill Zone from Sonic 4 in a 4:3 screen ratio), you could zoom out the area boss segment to make it look suitable then zoom back in once it's over.

I apologise if this is redundant, but I'm just interested in a response.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    @SOTI

The reason why the aspect ratio was an issue was because of the boss battles, namely ARZ. But the suggestion to stretch out the boss areas has allowed for the 16:9 aspect to be used. The 4:3 aspect can be used as well. The only difference is that boss areas like ARZ won't be a fixed screen in 4:3 mode and the boss patterns will be slightly different to accommodate for the wide screen aspect as well.

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I've been fighting for having a 4:3 option since day one, and I will never stop. Glad to see it's being considered instead of forcing everyone to play in 16:9. I hope the good old planned 1280x896 (960) resolution will be available, to get a real, authentic Sonic 2 feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.