don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I can't say that I know it's going to be an option. Just saying that there's nothing really stopping both aspects from being in there now. We're just going to have to wait until the staff mention something about it.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The game will be 16:9. For those wanting 4:3, it may be supported via letterboxing of a sort or HUD centering with aspect correction, but it will be meant to be played in the 16:9 arrangement.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I guess that's fine. Those without a widescreen monitor like myself will just have to settle for the slightly gimped version.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Please forgive the double post, but this forum doesn't get all that much attention unless it's shown on the main page that there's a new post so here it is.

I don't know if this has been discussed already or not, but is it possible for Sonic 2 HD to be released with the completed level (Emerald Hill) when the programming side of things is finished, and have levels be downloadable through patches or level files later, when they're finished?

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

A completed EHZ has always been our priority for the first release of the game, yes. Additional zones and content will be added in subsequent releases.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Ah, so all we're really waiting on is the programming side of things? Is there any other way I (or anyone else) can help with moving the first release along?

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

There's more to it than that, but the coding is a part of it of course. At this point we're all running at full steam, and it's just a matter of tying everything together. If you'd like to help, the best way would be to pop in to one of the concept threads and keep the ideas flowing. Those give us fuel and direction for the next zones we'll be tackling.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well I meant more specifically about moving the first release along when I asked if there's anything we can do. Everyone knows about the infamous concept threads (baawww bad pixel yadayada). Thanks for the speedy reply though, CK.

9. Forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds, but what on Earth happened here?

I've been lurking (occasionally but rarely posting comments) in the wings watching progress on this fantastic project only to see it go basically dead for the past month. The HTZ concept thread went dark and some of the talented posters who weren't official members of the team went silent. I'm sure the core team is hard at work getting a demo out to the public but I can't help but think the silence is a sign of bad things to come.

And just so it's out in the air (I'm almost surprised I haven't seen a comment about it) I think S2HD has great potential to be better than the recently released demo to that other Sonic game. That demo was far too "busy" and from what I've seen of the staff here, this group can do even better.

10. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I think it's simply because people are either busy with life, which does happen to everyone at times, and/or they don't have motivation to do stuff at the moment. I wouldn't worry about it being quiet, we're still dedicated to getting it finished, so it'll get done.

In regards to your last comment, I think people are too busy making jokes about this never getting done to actually think about its potential. :ssh: But yeah, thanks, and we are planning some fancy stuff that will not disappoint.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I think the jokes got to how long it will be until the main demo. I remember someone said around 2050 in another thread somewhere. In my mind I've always seen this as a long project. Somewhere around 2015 at the latest for the final version in my mind. And I believe that this main demo that your doing is not going to be released before this year is out, so I have expected it to be quiet in here up until then.

I can imagine that there will be some criticism due to how long it has taken when the demo is out to the public. But at least in my mind that this will be the remake of Sonic 2 that we have all longed for. And that is what only matters to me.

12. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I stopped posting because there is nothing more to post. That and my attempt to revive a sleeper artists from lurkers or forum goers failed miserably. All that came of it was posters arguing, staff doing little to intervene or settle on what they really wanted out of a specific piece of art. Canned Karma has pretty said now staff have made all the HTZ artwork since they are trying to get it in the demo and that all the concept efforts have played a "large role".

So I'm really just sitting here waiting for the demo honestly.

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

I'm certain that's how most people who follow the project are looking at it right now. I can't fault people for it, given that there isn't much else that can be done publicly for the first release in regards to the artwork, but that only applies to to EHZ and HTZ. Once those are done, we'll be moving on to a new set of zones: CPZ and DEZ. Why not go in the game's order? We're trying to tie off the zones that share common metablocks first. The best way anyone could contribute now would be via the concepts workbench focused on those two levels.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I think now is a good idea to open a CPZ and DEZ, considering the concept contributors are waiting on the demo. If the demo is going to be a few months away. Then at least there will be some concepts to base stuff off from when the time comes to properly work on those zones.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Well we've got that concept thread that just opened up, so that will just be kind of a catch all type thing for the time being. I have a feeling we'll have a dedicated thread for Chemical Plant and Death Egg open later when we're actually working on those stages directly.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Ha. Didn't see that. I just go onto latest post when browsing Sonic Retro so that one got overlooked.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I...can't believe I never noticed that Death Egg and Chemical Plant had the same pieces.

I feel like a failure.

18. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Th.. they do? ...I think I need to lie down.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Speaking of which, SFR allows you to pick the resolution you prefer from a fairly populated dropdown list, including both 4:3 and 16:9 resolutions (maybe 16:10 and 5:4 too). Is forcing people to have 16:9 monitors part of S2HD's goal? The "we might give you a crippled 4:3 version" still enrages me.

(and yes this is a quote from another thread, posted here because it's more appropriate)

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    It's not part of the goal. It's an inevitability. Certain things won't function in all resolutions, like the Aquatic Ruin boss. And note, while SFR does allow you to choose your resolution, the levels aren't designed with any resolution in mind. Meaning, what players using a widescreen monitor might see a mile off, players with a standard monitor don't. Being able to choose your resolution freely isn't always a good thing.

EDIT: I find it funny that my response to the cited post chastised the fact that S2HD was being made for 16:9, and then here I am defending it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.