don't click here

Sonic 2 Dimps Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tharthan

Tharthan

The Literal New England Patriot Member
    This is actually a little bit better then Sonic 2 normally, as the editon of the speed ramps actually helped me beat this in about a half hour maximum. Homing attack was okay, mediocre at best. The Boss music wasn't half bad actually!

2. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    I agree that the boss music actually works for Sonic 2. ...Somehow. The speed ramps just make everything harder for me though @_@ I always played the 2D games slowly because I couldn't see anything in front of me. Now with speed boosters, it's like "WTF JUST HIT ME". But still, it's good for a decent laugh. Homing attack is spotless as far as I've seen, keep it up!

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    A few updates. I haven't been able to work on this much but I do however have a few new things to show you.
    Firstly, the options screen is fixed. Seems that with a few align $1000s somewhere and replacing the MenuScreen code in case I fucked up somewhere has done the trick. Nothing works right now though, but it will later.

Also, I've decided that Sonic 2 Dimps Edition is going to use a Sonic Advance 3-style hub system using Hidden Palace as the overworld level. Have a few signs:
    [​IMG]

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    To be honest, this hack is starting to transform from a parody hack into a serious one (which is good in my opinion). I really would like to see this overworld finished. =)

5. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Hey, the overworld isn't a shitty idea!

6. GameboyHero

GameboyHero

The amount of bullshit he has to deal with...poor Member
    TX
    Honestly, I'm surprised he's bothering to do this. Besides, "LOL BOOSTERS AND BUBBLES" was a shitty parody anyway, so seeing this complete would be something special.

And some suggestions: if you're going through Dimps' history with the series, would you just be adding 7 zones with only 1 emerald per zone for later updates or leaving that the same. Or hell, go for the Super Sonic final level (though that's been in every game so I dunno if that really counts :v: ). Aside from Sonic 4, that's been a Dimps specialty.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The zones are staying the same. 11 Zones, 7 Special Stages and Hidden Palace acting as the overworld. There might be additional bonus levels somewhere, but they might be using existing acts though.

As for Super Sonic in a final level, if you have collected all the Chaos Emeralds, you'll transform into Super Sonic before the Silver Sonic boss.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I apologise for double posting, but I want to share out more concepts regarding the Hub Zone. Some you may know, some you don't but now you do.

- Hidden Palace Zone is going to be used for the Hub Zone.
    - There will be different Hub Zones for every stage, all based on HPZ though. Perhaps a palette change should be made and the zone name below like in Advance 3.
    - There will be signs designating where the Giant Ring will take you. So far, Act 1, 2, 3 and Boss will be around.
    - Not sure whether or not Special Stages should be accessed in the Hub or in normal levels. Maybe bonus stages too?

What do you think?

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    If you're doing it Sonic Advance 3 style, special stages in the hubs are a must. Go for it.

10. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I think that I am amazed. You must have the special stages in there. Must.

11. Bostwick

Bostwick

They should also be ridiculously hard to access, like having to collect all the Special Rings in SAdv2 or finding all the Chao then getting the Special Keys in SAdv3.

12. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Love the new ideas. Sonic 2 is about to get vandalized.
    Upon updating level design, will we be treated to moar spam homing attack? :D

13. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    If I use the Special Stage ring in the Hub Zone, I intend to place an Emerald monitor somewhere in each act.

14. Elektro-Omega

Elektro-Omega

Mushroom Hill'in Member
    UK
    -
    Oh baby. This hack has changed from a parody hack into something else ... and I'm loving it.

I think its a really good idea about the special stages. While were on the Sonic Advanced 3 sort of topic are you going to impliment a character switcher that you manually enter ... or are you keeping the options menu?

Do you have any plans to change the special stage aswell? Or would that be beyond the scope of this hack?

15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    For now, Sonic will be the only playable character in the game. Oh and the special stage is staying around, but maybe bonus stages will be implemented some day.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    At this point, it seems less like Sonic 2: Dimps Edition and more like Sonic 2: Fuck You Edition. I like it.

17. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I just came up with some ideas. How about having Knuckles and maybe Tails need to be rescued to be playable in the game. You could also have Knuckles' jumps be the same height as Sonic's jumps like in the Advance games.

18. Advance wasn't bad. Also Knuckles is 'stronger' than Sonic, so it's only logical he jumps as high as him I suppose.

+ - SOTI also has a broken Knuckles  

19. It's funny, because now that we've seen the new Lost Labyrinth, this hack no longer applies to anything but Splash Hill.

20. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    Ya never know what could be revealed in the future...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.