don't click here

Sonic 4 Genesis Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I have to echo this concern. The older name, "Sonic 4 Good Edition" was way better. Irreverent, unashamedly arrogant, and (hopefully) all meant in the best tongue-in-cheek way. The fact that this title pissed off people who are clinging desperately to the hope that Sonic 4 will be the Second Coming just means that it is good.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I think, considering the original artwork and who made it, looking too GBAish is inevitable.

3. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    I think it will be a little difficult to deal with the palette in the Genesis and still make this closer than the HD version.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Hence why I came up with the "Sonic 4 GE" name which would allow everyone to decide if it's Genesis Edition or Good Edition.

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I say to hell with the fencesitter approach. "Good Edition" is audacious enough to work; and who cares whether you think it's true or not? Haters need to be getting a sense of humour. ;)

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I tried a spring:
    [​IMG]

Also putting in Phoebius and Rathes sprites in:
    [​IMG]

7. http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=428917

whining much? god damn sometimes I wonder who made you a moderator. maybe it was fred fuchs.

Back on topic and actually giving some feedback that makes it a non-trash post:

this is a nice idea. If it will be done well, I'd certainly spend 'few hours playing that on my genesis. Minor note on that is that I don't like how SEGA used the sonic 1 PCM samples as drums in their new music. They are way too underpowered and absolutely not fitting there. So I'd suggest changing them in Sonic 4 Genesis to something that has a little more power.

I'm probably the only one with that opinion though, so you might as well just ignore it.

Oh, and I think tweaker or someone else that's good in doing something like that should do the music arrangements for fitting inside the genesis sound constraints.

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    [​IMG]

I got bored and I threw these together. Not the best, but a start. The left is S1/S2, the next one is the S4 with more S1 shading, and then with more S4 shading (though I tried to keep it symmetrical).

9. Rathe

Rathe

Do you want slumber? Kay-o. Member
    Something that will inevitably be canceled.
    Perhaps this should be less Sonic 4 Genesis and more Sonic 4 CD?

If there's anything that would make the experience complete it'd be playing the game on actual hardware.

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'd say if you're to make it on the Sega Mega CD, then make it where the whole soundtrack is top-notch quality, as a full counter-attack towards Sonic 4's "retro-styled" music. :v:

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    Stephen later said he just didn't hear that song. You know why? My songs don't get much spotlight because unlike many other people including you, I don't go all around the forums posting links saying "heeeeey listen to my soooongs :D :D :D", but I tend to post them only once, and where they belong, maybe because as a moderator I don't like to be a postwhore. SOTI posted his link three times, it was unavoidable that Stephen was more familiar with that one. However, whoever made me a moderator just suspended you for 7 days, this is what you get for attacking the staff.

RAMPKORV's second midi was already almost perfect under that point of view. There were only 3 or 4 places where 10 notes played at the same time; for the most part it was smps-izable as it was. But I'm sure RAMPKORV will appreciate how you think he's not "good in doing something like that". Unless that was directed to me, oh yeah, sure it was... I did a so horrible job at importing that midi in Mod Plug Tracker that SOTI asked me for the XM. OHNOES we used a badly done XM converted from a badly done MIDI, this project is going to fail so hard D:

7 days? Meh, 7 centuries wouldn't still be enough.

12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I only posted it 3 times as some people don't visit the music thread and as a reminder.
    Sorry about that.

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    No worries, to be fair I reposted it once in the Sonic 4 thread as well, and with tonight's post I posted it 3 times as well. So we're even now. I have nothing against you, and I never will. Sorry if you intended any part of my post above (or my behaviour in general) to be against you.

14. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    [​IMG]

Another quick mock up.

15. CptScoot

CptScoot

Lincoln, UK
    learning c#
    Perhaps it's just me but I didn't exactly like the proposed HUD, although my own attempt wasn't too brilliant either, I tried to stick to the original Sonic 4 closely.

[​IMG]

It's probably too Sonic Advance or perhaps it's unusable in a ROM I've not tried hacking I prefer fangaming.

EDIT: Another minor gripe here, but there should be a shade between the highlight and the darker part of the floor.

I'll show you what I mean:

[​IMG]
    (modified version on the left)
    I know I'm being picky on this one but it bugged me, perhaps it's just me again though. Otherwise no problems at all.

16. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    This is being made with the S2 Engine? Stephen if you want some stuff from my unreleased S3K disassembly still in progress let me know. I can supply you with code and help you append it aswell.

17. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I feel like contributing but I'm a lazy bastard. :/

Anyway, this looks nice.

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    [​IMG]

19. MastaSys

MastaSys

Genesis Edition?

Way to exclude everyone that isn't American :/

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Fix'd.

It's called Mega Drive in South America too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.